• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi: Recut:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi: Recut:

A very good edit that removes the worst elements of TLJ without going too crazy on the narrative. Omitting Canto Bight works wonders for the pacing and, for the most part, the new restructuring also works really well. Removing the code breaker worked, but as a result it did feel like Finn and Rose's exploit passed by a bit too quickly. The lack of non-codebreaker footage also meant that a bit too much time passed when switching between the two plotlines.

Visual quality was average for an HD edit. The picture generally looked quite soft and there was visible artifacting over certain scenes, particularly on the red background of Snoke's lair.

Audio quality was fine, but was noticeably different when transitioning to deleted scenes.

Visual editing was generally very good, although there was something funky going on with the screen during one of the scenes in which the code breaker was removed. Deleted scenes were well integrated, but it felt to me like the colour could have done with being adjusted slightly on Rey's missing lesson.

Audio editing was mostly good, although I found the change in score after the title crawl noticeable. And as mentioned above, deleted scene audio was noticeably different. Dialogue was a tad echoey, which I assume came from doubling up and trying to spread it across 5.1.

No issues with the narrative that aren't with the original film. Generally everything flows much better and is much more engaging. I have, however, knocked off one point due to the rushed Finn/Rose code breaking plotline. The placement of "Luke's moment" deleted scene also felt a bit off, and would have worked better had it been placed slightly earlier (perhaps instead of Luke's daily routine?).

Enjoyment is very high. It's a great edit that achieves nearly everything I would want from a Last Jedi edit. The original is not a perfect film, and it can't be completely fixed, but Sobo gets damn close.

Key things that I would change:

-Higher quality
-no Luke daily routine
-stretch out Rose/Finn code breaking plotline (if possible)
-cut Poe and Holdo's first convo in which Holdo was a jerk (her behaving this way shows her to be a bad leader and undermines both her and Poe's character arcs)

Great work, Sobo. If I ever get round to doing my own cut of TLJ, I'll most likely use this as a reference!

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/star-wars-episode-viii-the-last-jedi-recut/discussions/9848/

Back
Top Bottom