• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best way to degrade footage to match deleted scene?

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd like to get a crisp Blu-Ray shot in BTTF to match up with a deteriorated shot from a deleted scene. The BR shot currently sorta stands out with the deleted footage, so I'd like it to match up. 

These two shots in particular 

81eejof.png

I can use Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects and Photoshop if that helps

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I suppose you could run it through handbrake and compress it. I'm not familiar with AE or PS, but most NLE's have video processing plugins that can degrade film. Sometimes they are called vintage TV effects or something like that.

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The shots are similar colorwise, I guess you could try just a bit of blur (or render HD shots to SD and then upscale) with slight position wiggle, maybe some dust and scratches.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's got a pretty unique look, but I think you can achieve it with a few alternating layers of effects, add a little blur, a little less sharpen, then blur again, then sharpen again. Or if you have a smooth filter, crank that up then put a light blur over it. The image is soft and the colors bleed in places but there are still sharp edges. 

Ultimately I think you're going to have to play around with settings till you're happy with it. Luckily it's a short shot and won't take much time to try several configurations to compare. Also it's much easier to deteriorate an image than to restore, so you're on the right end of the stick.

Top Bottom