• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dune: The Alternative Edition Redux:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dune: The Alternative Edition Redux:

My long, strange love/hate affair with Dune has culminated to a point of total infinity with this fanedit. I will never go back to any other conceivable version of Dune, nor will I facepalm myself in indigination over maestro David Lynch's well-intentioned but utterly misguided attempts at science-fiction dramatics. I am, now, at peace with Dune.

To the completely uninitiated, you'll likely be as lost as we once were in 1984 with Dune, no matter what the edit. Dune requires love, the kid of love Lynch himself couldn't give honestly. He was right in saying there is something very, very wrong with the integral structure of the theatrical cut (disowned, I might add), but when you witness the parts the added up to that gruesome whole, there is no way "love" wasn't part of Lynch's drive and passion in design, in intention, and in, to degrees, execution.

Some of what once caused me to bury me gulliver in me hands still exists: those voiceovers (NONE of which are necessary), the laughably muted "action scenes", which shows that while Lynch is capable of some almost-metaphysical miracles of cinema (check that new Twin Peaks - wow!), he can't direct a basic action scene with any sense of suspense. The "weirding way" is awkward. The Baron remains one of THE most over-the-top-annoying villains of all time. Toto's guitar music and the special effects are hopelessly outdated.

OK....still with me? Now let me tell you something about Dune.The above list and all, Dune exerts a hold, in this edit, that has a seductive power that the best science fiction stories do. It's a real epic story; it's believable. You must see Dune more than a couple times to 'get it' (I'm speaking to those unfamiliar with Herbert's work). This edit provides, finally, the pillow and framework for such a journey. At three hours, one may find spending that kind of time with....DUNE....utterly insane. For me, the first time with this cut was like Christmas morning - let me settle in, let me explore, let me be carried away on those titles: "BOOK 1", "BOOK 2", etc. It adds grandeur, love, and the kind of correct structuring and framework this story needs, freed from all pretenses of "profit" and "box office". It ain't Jodoworsky, but Lynch deserves to be proud over what he envisioned. Spicediver brings out the absolute best in Dune.

By the time the transcendent vision of the Atreides fleet folding space to get to Arrakis comes to the screen, we are dealing in sci-fi territory not to be reckoned with. Sure, Dune screams for a remake (Denis Villeneuve, where are you???), but the lengths Lynch went to, following his walking away from the Return of the Jedi job, are nothing less than astonishing. As a big Grateful Dead fan, i remember an interview with Jerry Garcia, where he says that he was pushing the band to get to a place he had once been to and found it ever-elusive. And thus it was forever. He was very, very frustrated in not being able to "get there", but then listened to the tapes of the band's gruelingly intense live improvisational work and was amazed at what was created in the process. You could look at Dune that way - a vision that ultimately fell short of complete realization, but, wow, what a way to fail!

This is a psychedelic movie. It is a tale of a society which has evolved itself around a drug. The vision you need with Dune is with an inner sense of the infinite related to narrative, to believe in the "realism" of such a society. It certainly is a vision of realistic proportions. Again, Spicediver pays very close attention to that sense of the psycho-tropic infinite, and, with that pallet, we willingly let ourselves be carried along towards Paul's sense of self-actualization on Arrakis, blue-eyed wonder.

The 8/10 section of my review is due to the limitations in quality of the deleted scenes - it's more than obvious when they're in the film. But, having seen the edit as many times as I now have, they have become seamless.

So fine-tune your soothsayer senses, turn off all the lights, turn the volume way UP, and behold Spicediver's miraculous salvaging of Lynch's tottering giant. Spicediver, you have done something truly remarkable - through the film you have ended the Dune debacle.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/dune-the-alternative-edition-redux/discussions/9790/

Top Bottom