• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Face / Off - Operation Terror

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So yesterday I sat down and started editing FACE / OFF. From my memory this was a very over-the-top action movie, where the leading actors were like superheroes, almost invincible, indestructible. It had loads of shooting scenes and explosions. I also remember liking it, but never completely. My plan was easy: make it a more believable movie, cut the crap. After 10 minutes I had to realize: this does not work at all. The entire plot is built on over-the-top action. And there is nothing anyone can do about that.
I stopped and thought about quitting this project. But the thing is: I already and still do like this movie. So, what I will do now, is tone it down. Slightly. Remove the top of the iceberg, what was most annoying, what was really too much to take. Will this make it a believable story about a terrorist and a CIA agent fighting each other? No. But it will hopefully be the most bearable version you will ever see.
WANTED and SHOOT 'EM UP are two movies of a bit similar kind. They expect the audience to put a big grin on their faces and just enjoy incredible stunt and action scenes in some kind of superhero universe. FACE / OFF did that a lot earlier. And it can be fun...

stay tuned.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hate you.

Yeah, you heard me. That's two movies in a row, ya bastard. :evil:

;)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, I did not know you wanted to go for this one. I do have enough other ideas on my plate, so if you want to: go for it. I have just started so it's easy to stop. I would love to see your version and really don't mind at all to step back from the project.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No, not at all! I was just jesting on account of the whole 'two in a row' thing. I mean, I have tinkered with it on and off, but I would never dream of really asking anyone to pull back from an edit. Hell, there's a thousand Star Wars/Matrix edits, so why not two Face/Off's?

Besides all that, I'm sure it'll be many, many months before I finish it. It's already been four months since I first started.

Plus, if it's anything like Fallen you'll end up fixing exactly the things I don't care for, and it saves me all the hard work. ;)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
message received, work continues :)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would like to see you both do it. I like to have options! ;)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the first draft is almost completed. It's still Face/Off. I have cut a lot of bad scenes and over-the-top action. A tough decision was the "shoot-through-the-mirror" scene, which I entirely removed. It is pretty famous, yet IMO completely ridiculous. Then I finally arrived at the speedboat scene... the reason for this fanedit, the thing that bugged me most... and I had the intention to remove it completely... which is unfortunately impossible because of the plot. So what I am doing is drastically shorten it. Just so it makes sense. It is still annoying and fells like coming directly from a James Bond movie, but sometimes there is only so much you can do.
So currently I feel pretty well about this condensed version. It should be big fun to watch and a lot less annoying than the original. 15 minutes have been removed so far.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FACE / OFF : OPERATION TERROR

hamleaabh.jpg

What is it about: Created for those who like the original but are getting more and more annoyed every time they watch it - by the silly moments, the dragging scenes and some way too over-the-top action sequences.

tagline: From over the top to great action!
original film name: Face/Off
new film name : Face/Off: Operation Terror
edit crew name : CBB
Date Original Film Was Released : 1997
Date Edit Was Released : December 2008
Original Runtime : 140 min
New Runtime : approx. 120 min
Amount of time Cut/Added : 20 min

Fanedit details: Face/Off was the best action movie in 1997 and it still is among the best, because of its fantastic effects and its cool thrilling plot of body (face) switching. It is also probably the best movie John Woo has made in the US. Unfortunately it was more of a metaphor for heroes and villains than a believable movie, which caused loads of scenes to be overacted or way too over the top. This fanedit aims to correct that and present the most watchable version of this movie ever available. Of course this movie still stretches the rules of reality far, but the worst moments are gone, presenting a breathtaking action ride and a great thrilling story in a new and more modern approach.
With about 20 minutes gone the movie is condensed, yet still complete in both its mood and flow.

The changes:
- Castor singing Hallelujah and joining the choir (overacting)
- cut Castor tying Pollux's shoe laces (makes Pollux just too dumb)
- Castor kissing the stewardess agent (over-the-top)
- cut Archer approaching the jet from the front (over-the-top)
- cut Castor shrugging
- Castor pulls in the jet's breaks earlier (so the jet might really be slower,when it hits the gate)
- shortened hangar shootout scene by 30 seconds (over-the-top)
- cut Miller burning Castor's body with a cigarette (no cigarettes in a clinic, not even in 1997)
- Cut Archer(Castor)'s FBI show (over-the-top)
- cut Archer(Castor) seducing Archer's wife (dragging)
- cut some parts of the Castor(Archer) escape with Dubov (all over the top)
- cut Castor(Archer) trying to save Dubov from falling (this guy is a mad killer, so why should Archer-Castor really care?)
- cut Sasha revealing to Castor(Archer) that Adam is their son and Castor(archer)hugging him and calling him "Michael" (makes Archer too soft)
- cut most of the FACE-OFF speech (artificial)
- cut Sasha kicking the agent (over-the-top)
- cut the entire shoot-through-the-mirror scene (totally over the top)
- cut Archer(Castor) tying the shoelaces of dead Pollux.
- heavily shortened the speedboat scene (way over the top)
- less strikes with the iron bar (that really does a bit too much damage)
- cut the entire overlong happy ending ("sorry I shot you, dad" "this is Adam" etc) (too much)

DVD DETAILS
120 minutes Single Layer NTSC 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen with AC3-5.1 audio
LANGUAGES : ENGLISH (5.1)
SUBTITLES : ENGLISH (selectable)
MENUS : main menu is animated, rest is still, all with sound
SCENE SELECTION : yes
EXTRAS: Deleted Scenes Featurettes:
Cage over the top (15 minutes)
Travolta over the top (13 minutes)

CBB Overview for all 30 fanedits

COVER&Disc ART : yes, on DVD-Rom part

Intention for this fanedit:
My first idea was to create a truly believable version of Face/Off, to take out ALL scenes that bend reality too far. Soon I had to discover this was not possible, starting with the helicopter that prevents the jet from taking off and from there goign through EVERY action scene. I was about to drop the project.
But then I remembered how much a fan I actually was and am of the original movie and that most of these reality-stretching scenes were actually awesome fo rme, when I am in the right mood. Just some scenes did and do really bother me and prevent it from being what I would call a true masterpiece of its own kind.
And there I had my next fanediting mission. Get rid of what was not fitting or just too much to take or believe. My main concern was to get rid of the stupid speedboat race, as this did always seem to be totally out of place. But again I had to realize: not possible. It is essential that the heroes get from point A to point B to continue the plot.
What I did is to correct as many crazy scenes as possible, starting with the Hallelujah dance of Castor, continuing with Archer playing "chicken" with the jet to hundreds of bullets that hit no one. I tried to get rid of some of the superhero invulnerability of the heroes and make them more human and also tried to reduce moments that were meant to be emotional, but were actually more annoying, like "date night" with Archer (Castor) and his wife or Sasha telling Castor (Archer) about their son or the way too sweet family reunion finale.
And this worked really well.
The toughest decision was to cut the entire "mirror room" scene, where Archer and Castor shoot at each other through a mirror. It is in the original movie one of the most important scenes, yet it is so unbelievable in everything that it just gets in the way. I for one don't miss it at all and to me it makes perfect sense that Castor (Archer) flees from a place that is surrounded with cops and special ops rather than taking the risk of a 5 minuts duel with his nemesis.

Hardware and software information:
Hardware:
Windows XP computer
with an X2 6000 dual core cpu
and 4 GB of RAM on an ASUS board

Software:
Womble MPEG DVD Wizard
Ulead Media Studio Pro 8.0
Vegas Video 7.0
Cinema Craft Encoder
Virtual Dub
Adobe Audition 1.5
Pro Show Producer
Jasc Paint Shop Pro
PhotoZoom Pro2
DVD Lab Pro 1.52
Cyberlink Power DVD
Irfan View
PGCDemux
AnyDVD
DGPulldown
DVD Rebuilder

Time needed for the edition:
editing: 3 days, extras: 1 day, DVD menus: 1 day, quality checking and further corrections: 1 day.

persons involved:
AvP: cover and disc art
Boon23: everythign else

thank you:

Winnie, ThrowgnCpr, Mollo, Heinrich, Avp and the fabulous FE community

3D_faceoff_OT_by_AvP.jpg

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ohhh this looks sweet!

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Number 30. Well done! The cover looks great!

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks boonster! looking forward to this.

Ziz

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, this is weird. I was just reading the listing for this on the front page. I then decide to go check my email and I see this story

:shock:

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
haha, John Woo is a fortune teller. I knew it. ;-)

searcher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Managed to get this edit yesterday, what can you say about it, as always your work is first class Boon, an excellent fan edit, this is the copy I shall watch in future. Congrats on number 30.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks a lot searcher, I am happy you liked it. :)

MAllard09

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was a great fan edit! I had never seen the original, but I guess that is just a testament to the fact that someone who had not seen it before was able to easily follow the storyline even with all the cuts made. Keep up the good work boon!

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
an xvid avi for this release is now available on the piratebay through BT

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
just search for "face off"

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did. From the time it looks like it was added after I posted my comment. Maybe some delay with TPB? Anyway, it's there now, so thanks a lot! Looking forward to it!

Top Bottom