• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

URGENT: HELP RENDERING - Large File Size

JaxEl

Reaction score
Trophy Points
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I am attempting to render a fan edit from Premiere. It is 2:45:00 long and is rendering at 12 GB. I need to get this down significantly. I have never done this before, but I have seen edits 2-3hours at 3 GB or less. What is the easiest way to do this and maintain A/V quality?[/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Setting:[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]H.264 Format[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]23.976 fps[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]1280:720[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Match Source - High Frame Rate[/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]If you need more info, let me know.[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]JaxEl[/font]

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Try using the Premiere preset for Youtube or Vimeo at 1080p. That should reduce the bitrate enough to get a smaller file. I'm not sure it will be 3GB but it should be smaller than 12G.

JaxEl

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Try using the Premiere preset for Youtube or Vimeo at 1080p. That should reduce the bitrate enough to get a smaller file. I'm not sure it will be 3GB but it should be smaller than 12G.

Thanks! My wife is attempting this now and I will get back to you to see if it worked. This is so much fun to learn! If you or anyone else have additional ideas, more possibilities is helpful.

JaxEl

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:

That generated an even larger file. I have no idea what we are doing wrong. What contributes to file size most? Transitions and effects and other problems?

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Keep the bitrate lower, in Premiere the predicted filesize will show at the bottom of the export page. Adjust the bitrate until you get what you want. :)

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
JaxEl said:
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I am attempting to render a fan edit from Premiere. It is 2:45:00 long and is rendering at 12 GB. I need to get this down significantly. I have never done this before, but I have seen edits 2-3hours at 3 GB or less. What is the easiest way to do this and maintain A/V quality?[/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Setting:[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]H.264 Format[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]23.976 fps[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]1280:720[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Match Source - High Frame Rate[/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]If you need more info, let me know.[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]JaxEl[/font]

keep your settings
but make sure target bitrate is bout 10
max  bitrate bout 12
that seems to have worked for me in the past
but might be different for you

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
make sure target bitrate is bout 10
max  bitrate bout 12

That would result in VBR (variable bit-rate). Edits should be rendered in CBR (constant bit-rate).
*read wrong. My comment is in regards to frame rate*

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
jswert123456 said:
make sure target bitrate is bout 10
max  bitrate bout 12

That would result in VBR (variable bit-rate). Edits should be rendered in CBR (constant bit-rate).

orly? Please explain.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oops. My mind blurred frame rates and bit rates there. Frame rate needs to be constant. Sorry for the mix up.

JaxEl

Reaction score
Trophy Points
THANK YOU FOR THE HELP! NEW ISSUES!

1. Visual stuttering on the rendered version. (Is this on playback or is this because of a framerate/render bitrate issue?)
2. Had some source files render at one frame off (had a lot of blips on scene transitions for only these some files, but the entire file seems to either be misassociated to a source with different timecode or rendered one frame off).

The original sources were in a mixture of 25fps and 23.976fps. Is the preview from editing that I view always representative of the final render? (I have not looked too much into the colored "render bars". Does a red bar mean the preview is not representative? Have not yet checked the association. If is it misassociated, then the issue is fixed. Away from computer with the file at the moment.)

From what is above, I have found some settings that work for the filesize, but the above issues are still ailing me:
Start from:
Match Source - Medium
Edit to:
23.976fps (default)
1920x1080 (didnt change file size from 720 when changes. What does this exactly change? better quality?)
Variable - 1 Pass (Target 3, Max 6) (default medium)
Render at Max Depth checked
Audio Bitrate at 320

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JaxEl said:
The original sources were in a mixture of 25fps and 23.976fps.

Ok, now my comment above is valid. Your sources should match frame rates.

Is the preview from editing that I view always representative of the final render?

I don't have/use premier, but I would say no. Vegas doesn't always have a preview that is exactly the same as the final output. Preview is based on project settings. Your output is based on rendered settings. Unless they are the same, they won't lol the same. Even then, they may be different.

JaxEl

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
JaxEl said:

Is the preview from editing that I view always representative of the final render?

I don't have/use premier, but I would say no. Vegas doesn't always have a preview that is exactly the same as the final output. Preview is based on project settings. Your output is based on rendered settings. Unless they are the same, they won't lol the same. Even then, they may be different.

The 25fps source was brought into a project with settings of 23.976fps. We edited and previewed in this project with these settings. Then we rendered the file at 23.976fps. So this matched the project settings. Would any issues with the 25fps pass all the way into this? Or by setting the 25fps into the project fix the mixmatch?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JaxEl said:
DigModiFicaTion said:
JaxEl said:

The 25fps source was brought into a project with settings of 23.976fps. We edited and previewed in this project with these settings. Then we rendered the file at 23.976fps. So this matched the project settings. Would any issues with the 25fps pass all the way into this? Or by setting the 25fps into the project fix the mixmatch?

You need to convert the 25fps source to 23.976 prior to bringing it into your editing software, otherwise you will experience artifacts from forcing a new frame rate on it (e.g., stuttering, frame blending, etc.).

There are tutorials in the tech section on converting from PAL to NTSC

Top Bottom