• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Blade Runner 2049: New Vangelis Cut by Problem Eliminator

Problem Eliminator

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Original film name: Blade Runner 2049
Fanedit name: Blade Runner 2049: New Vangelis Cut

Original running time: 163 min
Fanedit running time: 149 min

Synopsis: What would a modern day Blade Runner score by Vangelis sound like? This edit rescores Blade Runner 2049 with new music from the composer’s 2016 album Rosetta and his Blade Runner tribute album from 2007. The music is supplemented by some earlier Vangelis tracks, as well as material by John Barry and others. No music from the original Blade Runner is used, except when sampled by Vangelis on the BR tribute album. In addition, the edit is approx. 15 minutes shorter, mainly from trimming Wallace’s scenes to a minimum and cutting Gaff and Rachael.

Intention: To provide a fresh experience by rescoring BR2049 with new music by Vangelis.

Poster:

br2nvc-poster-smaller.png

Editing details: From the original BR2049 score, only two tracks still feature in their entirety (“Mesa” and “Someone Lived This”), alongside about a dozen excerpts from other tracks, which are abbreviated or combined with new music. The rest of the score is replaced. 48 new tracks – including 35 by Vangelis, 7 by John Barry (from Jagged Edge soundtrack) and 6 by other artists – contribute to score, source music and sound design. The most significant Vangelis tracks are listed below.

Red indicates track from Blade Runner Trilogy 25th Anniversary [Disc 3]. Green indicates track from Rosetta. No colour indicates track from another album.

In order of first appearance:

Launch Approval
Beaubourg Part I
Mail from India
BR Downtown
Dream in an Open Place
Beaubourg Part II
Spotkanie Z Matka
Starstuff
Piano in an Empty Room
Mission Accomplie (Rosetta’s Waltz)
No Expectation Boulevard
Dimitri’s Bar
Sweet Solitude
Philae’s Descent
Atom Blaster
Thermo Vision
Sunlight
Exo Genesis
Movement 3 (Soil Festivities)
Perfume Exotico
Origins (Arrival)
Perihelion
Elegy
Return to the Void
Physical Energy
Albedo 0.06
Rosetta
Up and Running

Cuts and additions:

Note: This list includes only changes that are additional to rescoring. Changes related to rescoring (i.e. adding new music and trimming footage to fit music) are not listed.

- Added fanedit disclaimer.
- Changed the wording slightly in opening text crawl.
- Cut shot of eye opening and moved it to end of film (where the shot is played in reverse, so the eye closes instead).
- Trimmed Sapper bashing K into wall. Difficult to believe K would survive that much head trauma.
- Edited black levels in city shots so that detail can be seen easier.
- Reduced the film’s green tint to bring out detail and colour in several scenes.
- Cut Sapper’s voiceover (“You new models are happy scraping the shit… because you’ve never seen a miracle”) when K is flying to Wallace Corp. Not needed.
- Cropped out “Wallace Corporation, Earth Headquarters” location title. We can pick this up from context.
- Reordered shots of Wallace Corp exterior so they flow better. We see the base of the towers first, then K’s spinner near top of the towers, before cutting to interior.
- Cut Luv in her office with a client. Nothing notable here, except a reference to “pleasure models” from the original Blade Runner. This edit generally leans away from nostalgia.
- Cut Luv’s line “Makes one feel desire” so that she simply says, “It is invigorating being asked personal questions. Do you enjoy your work, officer?” I thought it was weird that so many women hit on K in this movie (Joi, Luv, Mariette, Joshi). So I wanted this interaction to be more about Luv trying awkwardly to connect with K, rather than anything sexual.
- Cut Gaff in retirement home. K learns nothing here and the scene exists mostly for nostalgia.
- Cut all of Wallace’s dialogue in his first scene after line “Can you at least pronounce a child is born?” Jared Leto’s cliché lines and cartoon villain acting are terrible. The scene now ends with Wallace saying “But there is a child… Bring it to me.”
- Cut Wallace inspecting and killing newborn replicant. Wallace doesn’t merit this much screentime, and the violence is totally unnecessary.
- Trimmed shot of Coco bleeding on floor. Again, unnecessary.
- Cut location title when K and Joi visit the dump / orphanage. They’ve left the heart of the city (communicated by sign reading “Now Leaving Greater Los Angeles”), that’s all we need to know.
- Cut Ana staring at K and smiling after she offers to view his memory. She looks infatuated, for some reason (see earlier note about female characters hitting on K).
- Cut K and Joi discussing consequences of K deleting her from the console. I wanted to pick up the pace here, and Joi's death later doesn’t have a huge impact anyway.
- Changed colour of the imprint from K’s fall on the hotel carpet. The red imprint looks like blood, which is confusing, so I made it closer to orange.
- Cut Frank Sinatra hologram. It’s not impressive after seeing the other holograms, and “One For My Baby” isn’t very subtle. The jukebox now plays a Nelson Riddle instrumental of “Artificial Flowers” instead.
- Cut Freysa’s line “That’s why Sapper let you kill him.” This doesn’t match what we saw earlier. Sapper put up a fight, and K beat him.
- Cut Freysa’s line “When the time comes, I will show her to the world, and she will lead our army.” From what we’ve seen of Ana, the idea of her leading the replicant army is ridiculous.
- Cut Mariette’s line “More human than humans.” This is a pointless reference to the original movie, and it doesn’t make sense for the replicant resistance to use Tyrell’s old motto as an inspirational quote.
- Cut Freysa’s line “You must kill Deckard.” Freysa has no reason to be so cold. Presumably she cares about Deckard, if not as a former friend than at least as a fellow replicant and the father of Ana. Besides, the “kill Deckard” idea is still implied without being spoken.
- Cut Wallace’s line “All the courage in the world cannot alter fact.” No need to elaborate on his previous line about the jumping fish.
- Added line “Tyrell’s final trick: procreation” after Wallace’s line “To teach them all to fly.” In this edit, Wallace’s goal is simply to create replicants who can reproduce – for what reason, we don’t know. One can guess Wallace wants to be like God, or his ambition is endless, or whatever. It’s not important to the story being told.
- Cut Wallace suggesting that Deckard and Rachael were designed to fall in love and his discussion of that idea. This is bad fan fiction, unsupported by events of the original movie.
- Cut Rachael clone. It almost looks like her, but not quite, so it doesn’t work in my opinion. I also thought it was gross and sexist to kill off Sean Young’s character before the story started, and then trot out a young fantasy version of her and kill her again onscreen.
- Cut K’s flashback to Sapper saying “Because you’ve never seen a miracle” when K is standing on bridge. Not necessary and Freysa’s voiceover works better by itself.
- Inserted shot of Ana’s hand touching artificial snow while K is dying.
- Cut Ana’s line “Just a moment. Beautiful, isn’t it?” so final scene is purely visuals and music.
- Inserted fanedit name, faneditor credit and custom end credits, including complete list of new music.

Special thanks: Thanks to Plissken1138 for viewing and providing feedback, and also to my family.

Trailer:

Problem Eliminator said:
I will be rescoring the movie with Vangelis’ 2016 album Rosetta.

Two tracks you posted fit quite good!

First scene's music really elevated the scene! Once sound foley is added in, it'll be perfect!

I've begun editing, so this can be moved to In-the-Works.

Here's another preview, this time using tracks "Spotkanie Z Matka" and "Starstuff" to rescore K's flight to Wallace HQ and the tour inside. (yes, I'm aware of the frame rate issue) (password: fanedit)

lol, you weren't. sorry if that implied you were. carry on!

Here's a rough version of what I'm doing with my two least favourite scenes in the edit (Freysa's replicant resistance and Deckard meeting Wallace).

Changes include:

- Freysa rescored with "Elegy" by Vangelis (not a remarkable track, but better than what Zimmer/Wallfisch did)
- Cut a bunch of weird lines I didn't like, including...
- "That's why Sapper let you kill him." Lol, no, Sapper put up a fight right till the end. K beat him. We saw that.
- "More human than humans." Why would a member of the replicant resistance use Tyrell's old slogan as an inspirational quote? It's like if someone protesting Nike's labour practices used the phrase "Just do it" to inspire other protesters.
- "When the time is right, we will show Deckard's child to the world, and she will lead our army." If Freysa has never met Ana Stelline, maybe she thinks this will work - but it doesn't add up from what the audience has seen. Ana is sheltered and childlike and not at all Replicant Army Leader material.
- "You must kill Deckard." Say what now? This is clumsy, inelegant writing meant to maneuver K into a position where he might consider killing Deckard for the greater good. But the idea makes no sense coming from Freysa. Deckard is someone she presumably cares about - if not as a former friend, then at least as a fellow replicant and the father of Ana. She has no reason to be so cold re: Deckard. Idk. I need to give this one more thought.

- Brief montage rescored with a track by John Barry.

- Wallace rescored with "Return to the Void" by Vangelis. I really like this track on this scene, it sounds cold and calm in a creepy way.
- Scene is cut down from approx. 7:45 to 4 min.
- No more implication that Deckard and Rachael falling in love was planned by Tyrell (Ridley Scott pushed this idea from what I understand... doesn't matter to me, it feels like bad fan fiction).
- No more outright questioning whether Deckard is a replicant. This question was alluded to far more cleverly earlier when K asked whether Deckard's dog was real and Deckard didn't give a straight answer.
- No more Rachael clone. I thought it was a shame to kill Rachael offscreen before the movie started, bring her back as some young fantasy version of herself, and then kill her again onscreen. Tasteless. It also doesn't quite look like Sean Young - close but no cigar, and that's not good enough for what they were trying to achieve.

password: fanedit. Any feedback is appreciated! Also, if anyone wants to check out the full workprint, just PM me.

Here is the entire Blade Runner 2049: Dreamt Music workprint, which took about 2 weeks to put together. I'm happy with most of it. I'm open to any feedback. If you would like to see a higher quality copy, PM me. password: fanedit

This is probably going to stay in workprint stage for a while now. I need some time away from the edit so I can assess it more objectively, plus it's a massive undertaking and I'm a bit intimidated by the amount of work ahead of me!

Does anyone have ideas for music by Vangelis or someone else for replacing the "Sea Wall" track that plays during the spinner chase at the end of the movie? I've tried several Vangelis tracks from the '70s and '80s, but they aren't quite working.

Nearing completion on this, here's a trailer that showcases a few different clips.

Sounds very nice. The pulsating music when they are running in Vegas and the jazzy rain piece at the end fit so well.

Good work. Have you used any tracks from the Bounty or Antarctica soundtracks?

Thanks @"TM2YC".

Last Impressions said:

No I haven't. When I used a track that wasn't from Rosetta or the 2007 BR tribute album, I avoided movie soundtracks and stuff that would be super recognizable from other media (e.g. Vangelis tracks used in Cosmos).

Problem Eliminator said:
Thanks @"TM2YC".

Last Impressions said:

No I haven't. When I used a track that wasn't from Rosetta or the 2007 BR tribute album, I avoided movie soundtracks and stuff that would be super recognizable from other media (e.g. Vangelis tracks used in Cosmos).

Im so happy you went with this choice and your reasoning is perfect. As Antarctica and the Bounty are two of my all time favourite movies i too would have been taken out of your version.

I would like to make an edit one day using just Vangelis or Max Richter music but its finding the film for the project. I was thinking of doing Gravity with music from Max Richter's Sleep album. I have recently rescored "Lean on Pete" using music from the book authors band Richmond Fontaine...Its a tricky process but very rewarding.

Are you making any edits in your BR2049 or is just purely a rescore?

@"Last Impressions" Gravity would work well with that kind of music. I haven't seen Lean on Pete but that sounds like a cool project. Richmond Fontaine does vocal songs right? That would make it more difficult to fit songs into scenes (unless you edit out the vocal parts).

As for BR2049, I did have some other goals in editing. First was to cut as much Wallace as possible - I trimmed his scenes down from approx. 13m to 4m30s total. I also cut Rachael's clone, nothing about that worked for me. Also gone are a handful of references to the original movie, e.g. Gaff's scene, ref to "pleasure models," "more human than humans," "Tears in Rain" playing over K's death (this is Roy Batty's music and IMO doesn't belong in BR2049). Other than that, changes are minimal and mostly cosmetic. There are long stretches with no changes at all.

Despite the edit's title, I did also include some music by other artists, because Vangelis didn't always have the sort of track I needed. Mostly I grabbed some music that sounded tense or dangerous from John Barry's score for Jagged Edge.

This looks stellar my friend. I'm looking forward to checking this out upon release.

Problem Eliminator said:
@"Last Impressions" Gravity would work well with that kind of music. I haven't seen Lean on Pete but that sounds like a cool project. Richmond Fontaine does vocal songs right? That would make it more difficult to fit songs into scenes (unless you edit out the vocal parts).

As for BR2049, I did have some other goals in editing. First was to cut as much Wallace as possible - I trimmed his scenes down from approx. 13m to 4m30s total. I also cut Rachael's clone, nothing about that worked for me. Also gone are a handful of references to the original movie, e.g. Gaff's scene, ref to "pleasure models," "more human than humans," "Tears in Rain" playing over K's death (this is Roy Batty's music and IMO doesn't belong in BR2049). Other than that, changes are minimal and mostly cosmetic. There are long stretches with no changes at all.

Despite the edit's title, I did also include some music by other artists, because Vangelis didn't always have the sort of track I needed. Mostly I grabbed some music that sounded tense or dangerous from John Barry's score for Jagged Edge.

Lucky enough Richmond Fontaine do a lot of incidental / Instrumental music so it wasn't too bad. I have used a couple of vocal tracks but have also taken solo's and endings from vocal tracks and added them where i thought it was needed.

I didn't have a problem with Wallace and i enjoyed the Rachael clone scene, however, i absolutely did not like the movie telegraphing us Deckard's memory of her just before her reveal. You are correct to correct the music for K's death. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have done. Will you provide a list of the songs you have used in the credits?

I have a feeling that a blend of TM2YC's faster paced edit and your music choices will be the ultimate BR2049 edit

Last Impressions said:
I have a feeling that a blend of TM2YC's faster paced edit and your music choices will be the ultimate BR2049 edit

I was thinking exactly this - might have to make myself a hybrid!

This looks fantastic, Problem Eliminator. It's pretty much exactly what I thought I'd want to do when I left the theater after my first viewing.

Back
Top Bottom