• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Movie Club (Bi-Weekly) - #1 Okja

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Link for the discussion on Okja: Page 6
Link for the discussion on The 39 Steps: HERE
Link for the discussion on Foreign Corespondent: HERE

Welcome to MusicEd921's Movie Club!

Here's how the movie club will work:

-We will view movies on a bi-weekly basis
-Each month will be a new theme
-I will try and pair the movie with a beer or wine (nothing too specific given we all live in different places)
-I'll keep a list in this first post of previously viewed movies along with the dates
-We'll get started this Saturday 3/24/18 with a one off movie and then starting in April we'll do a theme of the month

Here's a calendar for the themes and possible films to view.  I'll update as we go forward. (STILL UPDATING)

FIRST MOVIE: A Netflix Original - Okja

April - Spying on Hitch (Hitchcock Spy Films): Foreign Cooresponsdent/The 39 Steps
May - Would You Like Some Parm on Your Spaghetti Western? (Lesser Known Acclaimed Spaghetti Westerns): The Grand Duel/Companeros
June - A Slice of Kurosawa (Akira Kurosawa Epics): The Seven Samurai/The Hidden Fortress
July - The Silent Treatment (Classic Silent Films): The General/City Lights
August - Double Take (An Original and its Remake): TBD
September - X Marx the Spot (Classic Marx Brothers): Duck Soup/A Night at the Opera
October - Vispera de Todos los Santos (Spanish Halloween films): The Devil’s Backbone/The Orphanage
November - Free For All (Hidden gems in the public domain): Charade/Algiers
December - Santa Slays (Christmas Horror): Better Watch Out/Sint
January - These Movies are a Knockout (Boxing Films): Raging Bull/Creed
February - Sing us a Song (Newer Musicals): La La Land/The Greatest Showman
March - So Lynchian (David Lynch Films): Lost Highway/Mulholland Drive

Original Post:
I’ve been hoping to do something like this for a while, so I figured I’d pitch it here and see what you guys think. 

I’ve always wanted to be part of a movie club where we can watch and discuss different movies. In some cases I’m on this site several times a day just checking in, so why not meld the two? 

Here’s what I propose.....we can discuss the logistics of who picks or if we vote later, but basically we can check in either weekly, biweekly, or monthly and discuss whatever the chosen movie was. We don’t need to be limited to anything in particular, but something outside of the usual Star Wars/Superhero/LOTR stuff we see all over this site. I’m hoping for it to be a good way to get into some really in-depth conversations while seeing movies that may be outside of my radar. 

Thoughts?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think we kind of already do this? All you have to do is open a thread to discuss a specific movie.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the idea is someone picks a movie, and everybody watches it around the same time. I think it would lead to some more in depth discussion, and a good way to watch finds you night not otherwise.

I love the idea, I used to do wellwe movie nights with a group of friends before I moved, and it was a great time.

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i like the idea of doing a live movie watch.
kinda like a long while ago when @"TVs Frink" held a live watch party for the Ridiculous Menace (i think).
i remember it being super fun and added a whole level of energy to the viewing.
i can't remember if it was an outside webpage or our chat.  but our chat here i would think could be utilized for that sort of thing.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I will throw my hat in the ring with this too, the live thing is a great idea but might be an issue for a few of us practically.  Films that are available on the main streaming services might be the best choice so that theres more chance of all of us being able to watch them.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds great, and you can count me in. As Sinbad said, it could be a practical pickle. Even if you go for films available on streaming services, the catalogue will vary depending on what country you're in.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Even if you go for films available on streaming services, the catalogue will vary depending on what country you're in.

Yes but it's a better chance people will have it than not picking something on Netflix.

@"musiced921" If you want my 2 cents... I wouldn't try do this by committee, just pick something you want to watch and some people will watch it with you and others will not. It's your idea, you be the arbiter. Trying to find something that pleases everybody would be an impossible task. That said, what would please/interest me :D would a more offbeat film (I think that was your idea anyway from the OP).

Browsing the new arrivals on UK Netflix there is the following that sound interesting to me (and I haven't seen yet):

- The Zero Theorem - By Terry Gilliam. I own this sci-fi film on blu-ray but haven't got round to watching yet. It got wildly mixed reviews, so might be interesting to discuss.

- The Vvitch - Low budget weird New England Horror that has got rave reviews.

- Midnight Special - Michael Shannon sci-fi that got good reviews.

- Secret in Their Eyes (US remake) - Crimer Thriller/Drama. Great cast (including Chiwetel Ejiofor) but got mixed reviews. I've seen the Argentinian original which was creepy and excellent.

- Christine - One of the John Carpenter films I've yet to see.

- Elle - Well reviewed revenge Thriller from Paul Verhoeven, starring Isabelle Huppert.

- Jimi: All is by my side - Unsanctioned biopic of Jimi Hendrix starring Outcast's Andre Benjamin (He's supposed to be perfect casting). Also Agent Carter's Hayley Atwell.

- The Great Beauty - Italian film that is supposed to be very unusual but very, very good.

- Gods of Egypt - "So bad it's good" CGI Egyptian disaster from Alex Proyas. Famously Proyas said critics were "diseased vultures pecking at the bones of a dying carcass".

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really liked Midnight Special highly recommend it if few have seen it, Elle is very good too..

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd also be interested in seeing Midnight Special. 

I saw Zero Theorem sometime last year. Wasn't much of a fan, but it's worth a watch if you like Gilliams other work.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I wouldn't try do this by committee, just pick something you want to watch and some people will watch it with you and others will not. It's your idea, you be the arbiter. Trying to find something that pleases everybody would be an impossible task. 

Very true!  Maybe we can either take turns picking the film or I can suggest 3-5 and we vote and view?  Like I said before, I want to branch out and see things I may not have normally heard of or chosen to see.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I think we kind of already do this? All you have to do is open a thread to discuss a specific movie.

I was kind of going for having one central location for us to discuss whatever movie was chosen for viewing.

thecuddlyninja said:
I think the idea is someone picks a movie, and everybody watches it around the same time. I think it would lead to some more in depth discussion, and a good way to watch finds you night not otherwise.

I like that too, but with a lot of us in very different time zones, it might be tricky.  That's why I'm thinking we have a week or so to fit in the viewing when we can.  For me, I do most movie viewings on weekends.

TM2YC said:
I wouldn't try do this by committee, just pick something you want to watch and some people will watch it with you and others will not. It's your idea, you be the arbiter. Trying to find something that pleases everybody would be an impossible task. 

Very true!  Maybe we can either take turns picking the film or I can suggest 3-5 and we vote and view?  Like I said before, I want to branch out and see things I may not have normally heard of or chosen to see.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
 Maybe we can either take turns picking the film or I can suggest 3-5 and we vote and view?  Like I said before, I want to branch out and see things I may not have normally heard of or chosen to see.

Both sound good to me. I think if you want to branch out a bit then it would be good to let others make suggestions, but ultimately you should dictate what is picked/what people vote for. 

It might also be cool to have a set theme every now and again (Animation; foreign language; classical Hollywood etc.), which would also help others to think a bit outside the box as well.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
It might also be cool to have a set theme every now and again (Animation; foreign language; classical Hollywood etc.), which would also help others to think a bit outside the box as well.

Excellent idea!

How do weekly viewings of movies sound with each month being a different theme?  Or should we do bi-weekly?  I think monthly might be too much of an interval.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why not do one a week and see how it goes... can always change to fortnightly if its slow going

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If it was one film every two weeks, I'd be more interested. Much more doable, I think, in terms of watching and writing up a review.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm in for bi-weekly. Or for probably only participating every other week if you do weekly.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bi-weekly it is then!  I'll come up with some sort of written layout and specifics later on.  Awesome to have some interest!

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will there be booze? My wife’s book club is really more of a sit-around-and-drink-wine club.  :p

Top Bottom