If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

JUNE 2018 FEOTM - Every month we ask the community to vote on their Favorite Fanedit of the Month. To view the nominees and vote visit this thread.

Fastest way to convert MKV to MP4?
Well it can't hurt to try it out, I'll give it a go thanks Bobson  Smile
Just to be clear, there is no need to "convert" MKV to MP4. They are both containers that hold the same type of video (typically x264 or h264) and audio (typically AC3, DTS, AAC) streams. Simply demux the MKV and remux the MP4. Off the top of my head, you can demux with MKVtoolnix, and easily mux back into an MP4 container with MeGUI. The process should take less than 10 minutes.
--------------------------: My Fanedits :--------------------------
Because You Were Home (the Strangers)

-------------------------: Consecutions :-------------------------
Thanks Throw, I've used makemkv in the past to rip a blu and I think that rips to AVCHD in an mkv container, i may well be wrong but I'm not sure you can put that in a .mp4 container without conversion. Do you know if thats possible and if its then editable in Vegas? Thx in advance
Rip the bluray to mkv. Demux the mkv video stream to m2ts. Edit video with the m2ts file. Avoid putting it in an mp4 container til you're done editing.

Also, demux the mkv audio stream to dts or ac3 (or the highest quality of whatever file type is available in the stream). Open demuxed audio in Audacity, save each track as a mono wav. Edit audio with the wav files.
Did you hear the joke about the high wall? It's hilarious, I'm still trying to get over it. 
ITW - X-Men: Wartime. Ideas - Twin Peaks Season Zero Project, Missing Philip Animated Short.
please note that M2TS, AVCHD (a container of containers...), MKV, and MP4 are all containers. You can easily put your (lossy) elementary video and audio streams in any of these containers without conversion.

Vegas can handle M2TS and MP4 containers, there is no real difference between using the two. Also note that the video stream within these containers is almost surely not in the RGB color space (which Vegas uses), so you may need to apply a correction when you edit these filetypes directly.

Side note: I recommend always converting to lossless audio and video streams before editing. That gives you control of colorspace, and avoids potential bugs associated with editing compressed files. See my guide for details.
--------------------------: My Fanedits :--------------------------
Because You Were Home (the Strangers)

-------------------------: Consecutions :-------------------------
I feel like Jackie Chan learning about Iceland and Greenland Big Grin
(03-13-2018, 07:04 AM)Sinbad Wrote: Does that only work if the codec is h264? I've looked for a way to convert an mkv ripped from the bluray using makemkv but cant find a way to change the container to mp4 for editing without recoding it. my usual way is to create a high quality mp4 from the BR using handbrake on all the best settings.

You can use "copy disc" function in MakeMKV and it will give you an mts file instead of an mkv, which you should be able to edit straight away.
(03-13-2018, 01:06 PM)thecuddlyninja Wrote: You can use "copy disc" function in MakeMKV and it will give you an mts file instead of an mkv, which you should be able to edit straight away.

Lots to try thanks guys I didnt either start the thread  Smile