If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

JUNE 2018 FEOTM - Every month we ask the community to vote on their Favorite Fanedit of the Month. To view the nominees and vote visit this thread.

Should I keep the subwoofer track when converting 5.1 to stereo?
I really don't know anything about how surround systems work, so pardon my ignorance. I'm trying to finagle something close to a clean dialogue track for Blade Runner 2049, using the 5.1 DTS-HD MA track as a basis (Audacity crashes when I try to import the Atmos track). I've noticed that the subwoofer track (fourth from the top) doesn't appear to make any difference when I mute it. Considering that I'm only going to make a stereo soundtrack for my edit, should I still keep the subwoofer track when I'm editing the audio? Or just leave it muted and forget about it?
Most computer speakers can't reproduce the low frequencies of the subwoofer channel. That doesn't mean it's definitely an empty channel. This is easy to test with big enough speakers.

Mix the subwoofer into the Front Left and Right channels. That way any information is retained into your stereo mix. The formula for this:
- Amplify subwoofer channel: -3dB (that halves the volume).
- Duplicate subwoofer channel.
- Select one together with the FL: mix and render.
- Same for the FR.
(Subwoofer channel is mono, so no worries about L and R balance in there).

Have fun with your edit!
Completed: Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom - Willie Scott edition; Back to the Future 2 - Biff Changes Time; Back to the Future 3 - Marty Changes History
Started editing: Thor The Dark World - Asgard edition; Thor Ragnarok - less distraction; Iron Man 2 - At the Heart of it
Inactive: James Bond's Diamonds are Forever - one fewer Blofelds; Hulk - Father-Son edition (2003 as sequel to 2008)
Workprint: Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
NegaScott128
You mean the LFE channel.  It is better to downmix to 2.0 without it.  Try eac3to.
Non sum qualis eram.

Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Decoding Video and Audio
Captain Khajiit's Quick Guide to Encoding a BD via the Command-line
Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Encoding with HCenc

For tech support, PM me (politely) or use the @+username function: I rarely read through threads these days.