• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

WALL·E (2008) Is it a masterpiece?

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WALL·E (2008) Is it a masterpiece?

Words like - Amazing, Funniest, Magical, Wonderful, Beautiful, Inventive and of course Masterpiece have all been used in context with Pixar's WALL·E.

It sure is popular, it has 8.7 on imdb pushing it to No. 33 on the top 250 movies list. Wow!

In my humble opinion WALL·E is a sweet and sentimental film but no-way as good as Toy Story 1 or 2. I found the Americanism in WALL·E a bit too much....the North American continent dominates the planet as WALL·E rides into space, fat Americans re-shaping the world in their own image and bucket loads of syrupy American sentimentalism. I know the target audience is American so this can easily be forgiven.

That said, what do you think of WALL·E? Is it that great or just a solid movie for 2008? Is it better then Toy Story? Is it the best work by Pixar to date? ...and most importantly, is it a masterpiece?

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really enjoyed the 1st half on Earth where it's a Silent Movie but the second half in Space for me felt like any other CGI movie. If it had built & improved on the 1st half then maybe I could see it in the same league as Toy Story.

It's a film of 2 halfs IMO therefore it's no masterpiece.

Toy Story is still the best CGI flick.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's definitely a solid flick. Enjoyable, sweet, and funny. Not a masterpiece though. Luckily, I wasn't expecting one. Those are all too rare. :)

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i loved this movie. my kids too. but the second half just felt like normal, good-looking science fiction. the first half was pure magic. it seemed like the first time that pixar managed to get the charme of their short movies converted into a real movie.

i felt a bit like after watching A.I. only that in that flick the second half totally ruined the movie for me. I guess toy story 1 & 2 and Monster Inc. remain my personal favorite pixar classics...

couldn´t say that i felt much of the americanism. after all they return to earth to settle there new in a really bad shape, fat and not even able to walk...

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah.....imo walle is better than Toy story, it is best CGI so far..... I dont have major problems with walle I enjoyed whole movie.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think Wall-E takes Toy Story, bends it over his little metal lap, and spanks the crap out of it. Not sure why people didn't like the second act. Sure the first part is better, but that doesn't instantly make the second crap. I think the nuances in Wall-E reveal themselves to me more and more every time I watch it. For me Wall-E is a solid 9/10. So, masterpiece? Um, I would almost call it that, but there were some very, very minor niggles I had with it, so I would call it a 90% masterpiece.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That said, what do you think of WALL·E? Is it that great or just a solid movie for 2008? Is it better then Toy Story? Is it the best work by Pixar to date? ...and most importantly, is it a masterpiece?

yes, I thought ratatouille was Pixars best effort until I saw Wall-e.
Its easily my favorite Pixar film to date as well as my pick for best movie of the year.
I love it love it love it.

I agree that the first half hour is the 'best part' but I still think its a great film once Wall-e leaves earth. This film managed to resonate with me on many emotional levels something few films manage to do anymore. Sure, I can laugh at a comedy or be pumped by an action film but Wall-e has it all.

10/10

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i absolutely loved Wall-E. i was tearing up constantly through the first act as the emotional content they managed to cram in was mightily impressive (even though im sure a fair amount had to do with the fact that Wall-e bares a more than superficial resemblance to Johnny 5) a point no doubt not lost on anyone over 25.

i think my two favourite have to be Ratatouille and Wall-E simply because of the amazing emotional/heartwarming content of the two, these are two cartoons im definitely glad i was an adult when i saw them.

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
these are two cartoons im definitely glad i was an adult when i saw them.

well said, nom, well said.... :)

Faneditlover

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw the film 3 maybe 4 times, I have the DVD, and the answer to this topic is yes. Yes it is. Let's pray it wins the Academy Award.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
it's a firm 8/10 for me (but i tend to rate movies low...)

the third quarter of the movie (with the "humans" on the ship) were where i lost some interest but it quickly picked up the pace.

the first half of the movie is amazing. hell... i could have done away with the whole human aspect of the movie and be happy. (fanedit, anyone?)

Top Bottom