• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Shape of Water

AmeliaWasHere

Reaction score
Trophy Points
anyone here seen it? if so, how close in resemblance is it to Creature from the Black Lagoon, if at all?

i ask because Universal Monsters is my jam and one of the largest influences in my life. i recently bought the blu-ray boxset that has the 8 main monster movies, and ive just finished watching through them for the billionth time when i remembered the trainwreck Dark Universe that Universal tried so arrogantly to upstart (i mean come on, stealing DC's name and then completely faceplanting? pfffff), and it got me thinking, we have no real modern day Universal monsters. i love Dracula Untold because it's so charmingly fun and Luke Evans is incredibly hot, but it doesn't really evoke Universal Monsters ya know? same for The Wolfman, it has a lot of potential but it devolves into a cgi bore-fest.

but The Shape of Water is getting tons of buzz right now and it clearly uses Creature from the Black Lagoon as a building block for the story.

and besides, Universal clearly wants to milk these characters, and from what i can see, it is possible to retell these stories as fresh ideas.

any thoughts?

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't seen it, but I watched a trailer of it the other day and thought it looked like some twisted spinoff of CFTBL. 

I also recieved the universal monster blu-ray boxset recently,  and just finished watching them all for the first time (bar CFTBL and The Invisible Man). I actually fanedited CFTBL recently, which is what led me to check out the other universal monsters in the first place. I expected them to be fun fodder for fanediting, but have been quite surprised at how much I've enjoyed most of them. Frankenstein and Wolfman are probably my favourites.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think Del Toro said something like, when he watched CFTBL as a kid, he was sad that the creature's love for the girl was not reciprocated... so the idea for a story where it was, began to form.

AmeliaWasHere

Reaction score
Trophy Points
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Frankenstein and Wolfman are probably my favourites.[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]mine too, Wolfman is my all-time favorite[/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I think Del Toro said something like, when he watched CFTBL as a kid, he was sad that the creature's love for the girl was not reciprocated... so the idea for a story where it was, began to form.[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]oh wow that's neat.[/font]

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The only thing i could think of when i was watching it was that the creature has a love of boiled eggs like abe sapien from hellboy  and resembles abe  quite a bit with his coloring and markings.i think the movie could be used to be abe sapiens parents

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought it was a beautiful movie with many layers of society "othering" some members, literally every single character save for Michael Shannon. It's the perfect marriage of material and shooting style. The script is excellent and shot so economically while also being gorgeous to look at. The score is sublime and it's a freaking shame that Richard Jenkins wasn't nominated for best supporting actor. If you are a fan of Del Toro's aesthetic, then it if a must see. For me, it is just behind Devil's Backbone as Del Toro's best. The filmmaking here is superior but that movie is an all-timer.

Top Bottom