• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

How do you get 4K source to edit?

GregAlex

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm thinking of making a fanedit that will require me to zoom in on scenes considerably.. so using 4K and making the final at 1080p would be good. I have no idea how to get a 4K source and I'm not sure where to start. I am about to buy the film on iTunes in 4K, but that's not going to help me get the source. 

I'm not sure if this is allowed to be asked. I'd like to stop sitting on the side and give this a go...

Any help appreciated!

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How to rip the source for editing you mean? I'm not too sure about the complications with DRM and all but I think DVDFAB can do that.  Nice idea to use a 4k source to keep the quality up in zoomed scenes.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can you rip from UHD though? I don't think there are UHD Ripper hardwares out there, are there?

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
He was on about using a 4k itunes file I think so he wouldnt need a 4k bluray drive in his pc

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
He was on about using a 4k itunes file I think so he wouldnt need a 4k bluray drive in his pc

Gotcha

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If it does prove to be problematic to use 4K you could always do a 720p file with a 1080p source,  I would imagine editing a 4k file would need a powerhouse of a PC

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like TunesKit can do it. I only see the 4k option for Mac though.

GregAlex

Reaction score
Trophy Points
iTunes will give me 4K but only on the AppleTV, they don't allow downloads to the computer because they want to ensure it doesn't get copied and have the protections stripped, naturally enough.

I've got a Mac, so I'll take a look at what TuneKit does, thanks for the pointer.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm very curious what it is you are planning on editing that requires you to zoom in a lot. Are you looking to change the aspect ratio or something?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anybody understand this HDR+UHD thing and how it relates to prepping/ripping a source file? Because...

With my Blade Runner Regrade project I've  explained before in the thread that the reason the Final Cut blu-ray is not viable as a source is because the colours have been so changed and the brightness is so extreme that the original image is effectively unrecoverable in places. Since the new 4K version is the FC, I'd considered that unusable too. Especially given how bad it looks in this trailer (a horrorshow of crushed blacks and over-saturated blues etc):

However, I saw this JL ending uploaded to youtube which is labelled as 4K "SDR":

It's a very flat, neutral image, preserving as much image information as possible in all areas and levels. So would a rip of a UHD source return this same flat image? Would a rip of the Blade Runner UHD disc also return a flat version where the highlights and shadows are not crushed?

I don't have a UHD drive (yet) but I'm just curious.

Top Bottom