• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Vanishing: Recut

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tumblr_p45ijl05Vx1urlrbdo1_1280.png

Trailer:

I'm a big fan of Tim Krabbe's horror novel The Golden Egg and George Sluizer's 1988 movie adaptation Spoorloos. That shocking ending gave me nightmares for weeks. The 1993 american remake didn't work. The story is too blunt and tragic for the Hollywood standards, and to change that is to kill the most terrifying aspect of the film. I do think the US version has a lot going for it tho. Jeff Bridges is completely terrifying and Kiefer is a more likeable lead (which would make the character's fate even more painful to watch). 
That's why I decided to recut the film, removing the dumb changes and preserving the essence of the story and its terrifying conclusion. I'm pretty sure it's been done before, but I decided to do my own version and share it with whoever might be interested. 

Changes:
- Decided to follow the original film's structure, so my cut starts with the disappearence and then we're introduced to Barney. 
- A lot of 'relationship' scenes between Jeff and Rita were cut since Rita is not a crucial character here. 
- Rita disappears from the story after she leaves Jeff for good. 
- Cut out the scene of Barney following Rita to the apartment and approaching from behind while she changed the message on the answering machine. It seems careless that the character would try to kidnap her right there. I believe that was only included to add more tension to the film. 
- And of course, the whole Hollywood ending was removed and I tried to recreate the original ending the best way I could.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would definitely be interesting in seeing this, I have to admit to never seeing the Dutch original but I'm well aware how sanitized the U.S version is, very interested to see a more faithful edit of the remake.

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is great
The Dutch version is one of my favorites but Jeff Bridges is (as usual) outstanding in this remake
However that "Hollywood happy ending" is bullshit
So I am curious what you did with it

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched this loved the darker ending!  What was the song used at the end it reminded of Grandaddy, an excellent choice I thought. Will PM you with more detailed feedback

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Just watched this loved the darker ending!  What was the song used at the end it reminded of Grandaddy, an excellent choice I thought. Will PM you with more detailed feedback

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you liked it. 
I'll PM you the song  ;)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agent Sam Stanley said:
I'll PM you the song  ;)

Is it your song to share?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agent Sam Stanley said:
TM2YC said:
Agent Sam Stanley said:
I'll PM you the song  ;)

No, but the song's available on Youtube and Spotify for free listening, so what's wrong with sending him the link?

These are streaming services, i.e., the artist gets royalties each time it is played (if it is on youtube legally. it probably isn't). Just because you can stream it for free, doesn't mean you own it. Please familiarize with US copyright laws, and our own the source rule.

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Agent Sam Stanley said:
TM2YC said:
Agent Sam Stanley said:
I'll PM you the song  ;)

No, but the song's available on Youtube and Spotify for free listening, so what's wrong with sending him the link?

These are streaming services, i.e., the artist gets royalties each time it is played (if it is on youtube legally. it probably isn't). Just because you can stream it for free, doesn't mean you own it. Please familiarize with US copyright laws, and our own the source rule.

Youtube is very attentive to copyright infringement these days and is blocking everything that is not legal. I have no idea if the song is there legally, but I can send him the link on Spotify just in case. And I'm aware I don't own a song just because I can play it for free, but if it's on a streaming service it's not against the law to share such link with others.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Youtube is doing an okay job of blocking illegal movie uploads, but the amount of illegal music on youtube is still staggering.

If you are sharing a youtube link, you can post that here. You cannot however share download links to copyrighted materials. That's the last I'll say about it. Please read our rules. If you have a question about them, PM a staff member.

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
You cannot however share download links to copyrighted materials. That's the last I'll say about it. Please read our rules. If you have a question about them, PM a staff member.

I did and I'm aware of that, thanks  :)

Top Bottom