• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

2019 Movies

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Huh, interesting! I take that back.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Does anyone even like Top Gun?

It's an excellent example of hollywood military propaganda in the 1980s, so it makes sense that they're doing a sequel now of all times, but yeah I never got past the volleyballing scene for... reasons... :blush:

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
jrWHAG42 said:
Does anyone even like Top Gun?

It's an excellent example of hollywood military propaganda in the 1980s, so it makes sense that they're doing a sequel now of all times, but yeah I never got past the volleyballing scene for... reasons... :blush:

The soundtrack? It's probably the soundtrack.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Weirdly I've always thought this Andrew W.K. song would make a great Top Gun soundtrack song for some reason. It's got a similar piano/guitar feel:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
What was wrong with just doing this? Was it too easy, too inexpensive?

grizabella.w460.h575.2x.jpg

Assuming the studio is looking for this Tom Hooper flick to match/exceed the $442m B.O. take of his Les Misérables, probably, yeah. Common folk like expensive-looking movies, and, say what you like about it, this looks expensive, and novel. It's certainly not for me, but I'd imagine the studio is pleased even with the breast-beating online reaction: people are talking, and awareness is being raised. From a business perspective, I wouldn't bet against this one at all. As for the effects, they look perfectly fine enough for most. I've heard people talk about the Live Aid sequence of Bohemian Rhapsody as though it was a special effects catastrophe, but it looked good to me in the theater.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
(Cats) this looks expensive

I thought the opposite. Wonky CGI Cats dancing in a confined looking real set looks cheap to me and the reverse of how it should be done IMO. Surely, real people dancing in a vast CG enhanced city would've been the way to make this thing look expensive. Personally I think this would've been more dynamic by doing it with no sets. The performers running around at night in the alleys of a gritty, grimy real city (London) mixing dancing with Parkour. It's a long time since I saw it in the West End but that's the feel I got from it. The set was a dirty junkyard:

maxresdefault.jpg

Not a colourful neon thing.

I still might give this a chance because I love the musical.

Gaith said:
I've heard people talk about the Live Aid sequence of Bohemian Rhapsody as though it was a special effects catastrophe, but it looked good to me in the theater.

That's hyperbole for yer, the crowd didn't look 100% but it was good enough and I was watching Freddie anyway.

ThrowgnCpr said:
addiesin said:

I would watch this. Someone please make this.

Wish granted (skip 30-seconds in):

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Aye, I can't help but look at that shot of the cats in Trafalgar Square at the end of the trailer and think "Wow.... that looks fake as shit"

I wish they'd either gone with live-action/makeup with CG enhancements or just a flat-out animated movie. This weird mishmash of the two has dropped it right into the crevice of the uncanny valley.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Yes! That looks like everything I was hoping for when I first read about the premise. Great trailer too "From visionistical Director Taika Waititi" :D .

p.s. @"slekyr" you don't need a new post for every new trailer. One would've done. Thanks for posting them though.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bloody hell, Tarantino's new film isn't out for nearly 3-weeks on this side of the pond.

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"TM2YC" that's my bad.  I was on mobile and multitasking isn't the best on that platform.  I'll keep that in mind next time I want to post more than one video.  Apologies.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A proper trailer for dropped for Scorsese's 'The Irishman':

It's on Netflix 27th September 2019. It looks very good but it's concerning the way they've cut around the de-aging FX by not having them talk too much on camera, of having their mouths obscured, or shooting them from the back.

Hope it gets some Cinema screenings but I doubt it :dodgy: .

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
A proper trailer for dropped for Scorsese's 'The Irishman':

It's on Netflix 27th September 2019. It looks very good but it's concerning the way they've cut around the de-aging FX by not having them talk too much on camera, of having their mouths obscured, or shooting them from the back.

Hope it gets some Cinema screenings but I doubt it :dodgy: .
Hey @"TM2YC", side question for you. We’re moving to Germany in a month (we’re actually in Germany now to get things in order). One of the questions I have is about streaming services. How do the European versions of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime stack up to their US counterparts? Should I just go with the German offerings or look into a VPN?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Years ago Netflix used to be an absolute joke in the UK, compared to the content on the US service but I think it's a lot better now. All the Netflix branded stuff will be much the same I imagine, with some differences e.g. Europeans get Star Trek Discovery for example (never any HBO content). I know somebody living in Italy and I noticed some differences. He had Star Wars movies for example, which hardly ever appear on the UK one. The German one might have some cool local shows. I really want to watch 'Babylon Berlin' but you can't get it in HD with German audio and English subtitles. I imagine they are wise to the vpn trick?

Top Bottom