• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

2019 Movies

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Classic Aladdin: When Genie is first freed, he's so relieved to be out of the lamp that he whooshes around exuberantly, engendering audience empathy.

Guy "King Arthur: Legend of the Sword!" Rithchie's Aladdin: When Genie is first freed, he immediately makes a dumb joke for a cheap laugh, at the expense of a key character beat.

Now, maybe the actual movie will fix this. But isn't this sort of dumbing down exactly what sunk the live-action Beauty and the Beast? The movie assumes you already know the classic by heart, so it makes lots of new tweaks and beats. Trouble is, they're just about all for the worse.

"TEN THOUSAND YEAAARS will give you such a crick in the neck!" Seems like a quick joke to me, haha. But yeah, aside from that I agree, this movie will probably be a mediocre remake like Beauty and the Beast 2017 (though I haven't seen it, I did see Lindsey Ellis' video which is fantastic). I'm just saying I didn't hate the trailer like I did with the teasers.

I agree with Jeremy Jahns:

It's just hard to make a legit remake of a masterpiece which is why films like Beauty and the Beast 2017 falls short, and why the new Aladdin and The Lion King films probably won't be good. Even Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella, though I thought it was a good movie, missed a key element about Cinderella while trying to make her more "independent". Nostalgia Critic makes a good argument at the end of his Old vs New video about Cinderella's character.

Just rambling

EDIT: I really hate this version of Jafar though

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
I hate to keep banging the same drum, but Disney knows how to milk this cash cow. Beauty and the Beast made almost one BILLION dollars more than Solo.

Yes, I agree, and this is the only explanation for how Aladdin was remade today. Disney can tout their PC-power all they want, but when it comes to stuff like this, they show their true color...

giphy.gif

But this has always been my point regarding Disney. You can find it distasteful that the company is pandering to the almighty dollar, but he idea that they are pursuing some sort of social justice mission with their billion dollar franchises is ludicrous. The Last Jedi, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel and whatever else show diversity because white male fanboys will see the movies anyway. Not so much with monortity audiences or women and girls. Let alone China, an increasingly important market. They’re not idiots; they’re in the business of making money.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
They’re not idiots; they’re in the business of making money.

Except that they have forgotten that things like Aladdin are based on profitable IPs they created long ago. In 10-years time they'll run out of old popular IPs to remake and will wonder why they didn't spend the last 10-years building new IPs for future exploitation. They haven't created a new classic animated IP in a decade. This is shortsighted IMHO.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Which Aladdin video game was better, Sega Genesis or SNES? I personally love the Sega game for it's storyline but it's a bugger to control. The wacky SNES adventure was pretty fun to play at my buddy's house but I couldn't take it srs.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
They are at it again!

After doing a charming and funny Red Nose Day sequel to LOVE ACTUALLY,
this year they are doing FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL...

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7niCi9AeAg[/video]

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Except that they have forgotten that things like Aladdin are based on profitable IPs they created long ago. In 10-years time they'll run out of old popular IPs to remake and will wonder why they didn't spend the last 10-years building new IPs for future exploitation. They haven't created a new classic animated IP in a decade. This is shortsighted IMHO.

Monsters Inc. 
Wreck It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6
Inside Out
Good Dinosaur
Zootopia
Coco
Moana
Cars
Incredibles 
Finding Nemo/Dory

These are all Disney animated features that my six year olds love.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
TM2YC said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Monsters Inc. 
Wreck It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6
Inside Out
Good Dinosaur
Zootopia
Coco
Moana
Cars
Incredibles 
Finding Nemo/Dory

Yeah, with Pixar, Disneys has created a number of good IPs which they will continue to exploit.  Hits like Frozen and Zootopia were entirely made by Disney (not Pixar) and were not only both very well received, but are seeing multiple sequels and other opportunities.

I think growing up in the late 80s and 90s we were spoiled by such a rare achievement of creativity and success that hasn't been matched in films until Marvel films struck it big with the Avengers.

Of course, Marvel is owned by Disney so the argument is kind of moot.  They are leaving their cultural impact in so many different spheres right now, that nostalgia films like Aladdin and The Lion King are simply to make money and reinforce the brand rather than try and build future success.  They are simply easy money to fuel their other projects.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A lot of Arabic people aren't happy that Aladdin looks like a Bollywood movie instead of feeling more Arabic, as it should.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
A lot of Arabic people aren't happy that Aladdin looks like a Bollywood movie instead of feeling more Arabic, as it should.

Honestly, I'm surprised that 100% of Arabic people aren't happy with Aladdin.  Nothing about the original is really an appropriate representation of any actual culture.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Honestly, I'm surprised that 100% of Arabic people aren't happy with Aladdin.  Nothing about the original is really an appropriate representation of any actual culture.

Yeah, the movie literally had this as the second line of the opening song:

"Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face / It's barbaric, but hey, it's home"

However, my Arabic friends (a small sample size, obviously) pretty much all feel ambivalent about the film. Because yes, it does traffic pretty extensively in some ugly Arabic stereotypes but on the other hand having an Arab be a wildly popular, cool character in the early 90s among kids of all races was a new experience for them (we're in our mid-30s so were all around 10 when the movie came out).

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Masirimso17 said:

Yeah, probably. I wouldn’t know.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
it does traffic pretty extensively in some ugly Arabic stereotypes but on the other hand having an Arab be a wildly popular, cool character in the early 90s among kids of all races was a new experience for them (we're in our mid-30s so were all around 10 when the movie came out).

Yeah, this was pretty much my understanding. A little bit depressing, because essentially that's: "yeah, it's insulting and fairly racist, but at least we're on tv!"

I get why Aladdin was made and ultimately really popular in 1992. But I find it pretty perplexing that this remake was made given the current conversation about race and cultural representation in film, and the fact that the issues with the original have been discussed for two and a half decades...

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m a bit old for the original Alladin. I was 21 when it came out, but I brought my 7 year old brother to see it. IIRC it was all about Robin Williams. No disrespect to Will Smith, but  could anyone fullness those shoes!?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
TM2YC said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Monsters Inc. 
Wreck It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6
Inside Out
Good Dinosaur
Zootopia
Coco
Moana
Cars
Incredibles 
Finding Nemo/Dory

Apologies, I wasn't clear, I was talking about classic 2D Disney style movies.

I'd still argue that half of those new CGI IPs you listed are not really adaptable to the current Disney remake model, or would be redundant.

These could be converted to a live action/CGI blend (although somewhat pointless because they are already CGI):

Frozen
Moana
Big Hero 6
Coco
Incredibles
Wreck It Ralph (less so)

These could not be converted to live-action (because they don't star humans) and CGI remakes would be a waste of time because they are already CGI movies:

Monsters Inc. 
Inside Out
Good Dinosaur
Zootopia
Cars
Finding Nemo/Dory

I'm not saying they can't, or won't remake these films in live-action/CGI but it would be a lot of barrel scraping IMO.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This looks strange:

Some sort of fusion of a Documentary, a feature and the making of the feature. Potentially either genius or folly.

Top Bottom