• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Budget External Blu-ray Drive

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I'll have to check what the budget actually is, maybe 65-85 won't be a problem.
Someone told me that I should just get whatever is cheapest, but I think I'd rather get the specific model that someone else that I trust has, just to garuntee that it works. Much appreciated, TM2YC.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I will still take more suggestions though.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ended up going with a cheap DVD drive. There aren't many movies that I own exclusively on bluray, most I either own on just DVD or have both versions. I figured that I might get a Bluray drive down the line, but if I'm going to pick out a drive for someone to get as a gift for me, I don't want them to spend too much. I will still get plenty of use out of this.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, there's some Region B releases that I want to work with in the future (or just watch). My computer's built-in Blu-Ray drive is the kind that absolutely, positively refuses to work with non-Region 1/Region A discs. MakeMKV simply cannot extract anything from them. And there is, to my knowledge, no means of disabling the region protection of that drive.

With that in mind - can anyone recommend anything that'll suit this purpose?

Ideally, I'd want something that's USB 3.0, still works with Windows 7, and - especially - won't be problematic for ripping Region B Blu-Rays with MakeMKV. Your feedback is most appreciated as always, friends.

Dawnrazor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, there's some Region B releases that I want to work with in the future (or just watch). My computer's built-in Blu-Ray drive is the kind that absolutely, positively refuses to work with non-Region 1/Region A discs. MakeMKV simply cannot extract anything from them. And there is, to my knowledge, no means of disabling the region protection of that drive.

With that in mind - can anyone recommend anything that'll suit this purpose?

Ideally, I'd want something that's USB 3.0, still works with Windows 7, and - especially - won't be problematic for ripping Region B Blu-Rays with MakeMKV. Your feedback is most appreciated as always, friends.
@matrixgrindhouse
Hi
I don’t think the region protection is in the hardware!
It’s your software that locks it to a region.
So Buying another Blu-ray drive won’t solve the problem.
But I could be totally wrong here.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Yeah, as far as I know it's a software thing. I use AnyDVDHD:

You have to pay a fee but it's problem free ripping with any format in any region from then on. I use it's "Rip video disc to harddisk" option all the time. Then once it's on your hardrive with all locks removed, I'll extract, or encode what I want. It also works if you want to play any discs on your computer. There are probably free alternatives but it's worth it for me.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@TM2YC

I tried the free trial of that program in the past - doesn't work. Granted, I've only done this on region 2 DVDs, but there's no way those are harder to handle than Blus. It isn't software. As far as I can tell, my drive has draconian hardware-level restrictions against out-of-region content. MakeMKV, Dvd Decrypter, DVD shrink - all of them fail. MakeMKV spits out "Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:MEDIA REGION CODE IS MISMATCHED" type messages. Over on their forums, other people with that issue are in the same boat - it's the drives.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Furthermore: I had been able to use DVD shrink and decrypter to rip Region 2 DVDs on previous computers.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used the trial of AnyDVD again - as I suspected, same results. My drive is indeed a Matshita. And there's no RPC1 listing for this model.

Matshita.png

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My computer's built-in Blu-Ray drive is the kind that absolutely, positively refuses to work

Sorry, didn't see that bit. I abandoned using internal drives long ago for this reason (and it gives you the flexibility to plug it into other devices of course). I can't really claim to understand why but drives that are plugged right into your motherboard seem to be harder, or impossible to region crack. An external USB drive is different and will work everytime with something like AnyDVD.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry, didn't see that bit. I abandoned using internal drives long ago for this reason (and it gives you the flexibility to plug it into other devices of course). I can't really claim to understand why but drives that are plugged right into your motherboard seem to be harder, or impossible to region crack. An external USB drive is different and will work everytime with something like AnyDVD.

Exactly. So any recommendations on externals would be appreciated.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My last couple of drives have been Verbatim, very slim and zero problems. I've had my one for 3.5 years and it's still their current model I think:

There are cheaper ones I'm sure but make sure you get a drive that has an optional separate power cable. In my experience running data and power through your USB port at the same time increases the chance of bad burns and wasted blank discs.

Top Bottom