• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Budget External Blu-ray Drive

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Screenshot_2018_01_25_10_29_05_532.jpg

I'm confused - are these the same product?

Edit: just noticed the "D" and "E" difference... Still. What's the difference?

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dbk £59.99 one is older i think, the newer ones supports 128gb quad layer discs

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Purchased!  :cool:

Hopefully, it'll be at the faster end of "within 2 months".

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I bought something the other week that was supposedly in stock, then it wasnt and was going to be 4-6 weeks wait, got it about a week after I ordered it in the end.  So I guess its a bit of a case of pot luck but if you see something cheaper in the meantime you can cancel the oreder if its not been dispatched as they wont charge you till they dispatch.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Screenshot_2018_01_25_10_29_05_532.jpg

I'm confused - are these the same product?

Edit: just noticed the "D" and "E" difference... Still. What's the difference?

The first one is a retail packaged version: i.e. it comes in a retail box and includes bundled software. The second is OEM, or Original Equipment Manufacturer, and only includes the drive (no retail box, software, etc.).

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
These were back in stock earlier today so hopefuly ours will be dispatched in the next day or two.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yup! Was just about to post the same thing :p

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mine arrived today  :D

What to christen it with, eh?

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mine too, I've already christened it backed my up my BTTF Edit with all the BW episodes too onto 1x25GB Disc. First movie to Christen it was the Thelma and Louise bluray:)

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is turning out to be less simple than expected.

IMG_20180210_133117.jpg

Cant seem to take the front panel off without disturbing some fairly taut connections...

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually, managed to get around it with some careful manoeuvring. The screw socket doesn't line up though :(

IMG_20180210_134930.jpg

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
anywhere along the oblong bit is fine it will nip it in place

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you all sorted now Scrib?

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Almost! Was out this afternoon, so had to leave and come back to it. The driver is in the computer, it's just checking it works.... Tried a minute ago with some blu ray playing software and it wouldn't recognise the disc. Just trying the old "turn it off and on again" trick.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
if its recognising the disc in wIndows in the my computer section you have it installed correctly. Decent blu ray software is hard to find for free leawo blu ray is the only free one i know of.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been using something called Pot Player, which has been inconsistently working with blu ray ISO's. Isn't liking discs though.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It seems this thread switched quickly to internal drives.

Well, I'm in need of an external drive, so I'm bringing this thread back to its name.
I need a good USB disc drive, DVD or Bluray, preferably under 50 USD. I have no idea where to start looking. I'm not knowledgeable on this at all. Please help.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
It seems this thread switched quickly to internal drives.

Well, I'm in need of an external drive, so I'm bringing this thread back to its name.
I need a good USB disc drive, DVD or Bluray, preferably under 50 USD. I have no idea where to start looking. I'm not knowledgeable on this at all. Please help.

$65 seems to be the standard minimum price on amazon.com. You could try 2nd hand on eBay or somewhere.

I've got this one and it's never let me down: https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-External-Slimline-Blu-ray-70102/dp/B0785GPTX3/

Make sure you get one with a USB connection and a it's own power supply. Drawing the power from the usb is not enough in my experience.

Top Bottom