If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

WW2 - World War II
WHAT HAVE I DONE! PLEASE FORGIVE ME SIR FREEMAN!

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia...hy.gif&f=1]

EDIT: Forreal though. Driving Miss Daisy beat Dead Poets Society, Born on the Fourth of July, Field of Dreams and My Left Foot. WTF Academy?
Interesting idea for a thread!

Of course there's also The Great Dictator and Casablanca as well. (Spoilers for these 70+ year old films follow.)

Great Dictator was actually made prior to America's involvement in the war, but it ends with Chaplin all but breaking character and giving an impassioned speech for America to join the war effort. 

Casablanca is wonderful because Rick's journey parallels America's own journey. While the script was written before the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Warner Bros. bought it a month after the bombing, and it shows how much that was on people's minds at the time. At the beginning of the movie, Rick is still on the fence, but by the end, he's all in. 

Gaith, were you the one who once suggested that you were going to edit together a World War II film from multiple different sources? I don't know how one could pull it off, but I still very much like the idea!
(01-15-2018, 01:09 PM)TomH1138 Wrote: Gaith, were you the one who once suggested that you were going to edit together a World War II film from multiple different sources? I don't know how one could pull it off, but I still very much like the idea!

I loooove this idea. You could maybe make it a docudrama, fill in the blanks with the documentary series "World War II in HD Colour" or something.
(01-15-2018, 01:09 PM)TomH1138 Wrote: Gaith, were you the one who once suggested that you were going to edit together a World War II film from multiple different sources? I don't know how one could pull it off, but I still very much like the idea!

Yep, that was me, and, uh... I've actually been (verrry slooowly) working on that for the past half-year. I've got an 8,000-word script, a new mic, a narrator, and hope to begin recording soon, after which will begin the long process of editing... in glorious standard definition!, as I alas have neither the expertise nor the budget for HD. I'm reluctant to say too much more because I have no idea how long this'll take, and like to play things close to the vest, but I'm hoping to start making tangible progress soon. In the meantime, here's a proof-of-concept teaser I cooked up for Christmas:
So, cat's out of the bag, I guess. Stay tuned... but with lots of patience, please! Tongue
Nicely done! Curious that you made use of Magneto's mutant abilities... Tongue and was that Walking With Dinosaurs footage I saw? Used to love that show  Cool

In regards to war movies, they aren't a genre I generally go for, but I dip my toes in lots of pools. I remember liking The Train - my dad got me to watch it as it's his favourite film. I like "Seconds" more though, which is the same director (not a war movie. At all.)

Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory is excellent, though it's been a while since I saw it.

I'm also a Billy Wilder fan, so naturally my favourite is Stalag 17. Great scene following the prisoners receiving complimentary copies of Mein Kampf:

Edit: I just realised Paths of Glory is WW1 *face-palm*
"I live in the Tower of Flints. I am the death-owl."

COMPLETED: IFDB
ITW: The Ledzeppership of The Rings ~ TMWKTM (1956)
IDEAS: Thread ~ B+ Movie Series ~ Anatomy of a Shrinking Man ~ Avatar: TLA (TV-Movie Project)
(01-15-2018, 06:36 PM)The Scribbling Man Wrote: Nicely done! Curious that you made use of Magneto's mutant abilities... Tongue and was that Walking With Dinosaurs footage I saw? 

Thanks! That whole time-lapse shot, up until the aspect ratio change, is actually from Adaptation. Cool
SS-GB (2017)

[Image: c8347b6915308e7d7e5aa72c0d1abf37]

Just read for the first time about this five-hour BBC miniseries from last Feb/March: an alternate history murder mystery in Nazi-occupied 1941 Britain, from a '78 novel of the same name and 007 house scripters Neal Purvis and Robert Wade. One of the leads from And Then There Were None co-stars. The reviews sound pretty good; has anyone seen it? Alas, I'm not seeing any legit US viewing options, apart from the $30 Region B Amazon blu-ray import. Here's hoping that changes before long...
^ That reminds me. Film historian Kevin Brownlow's 1964 alternate-history film 'It Happened Here' is worth a watch. I got it on DVD recently. It's shot and edited like real b&w news footage, appearing to document the Nazi occupation of Britain and the resistance to it. It all looks so real but not a frame of stock-footage was used. Shot over years on a shoestring with amateur actors and volunteers.

^ Aye, I read about that one too recently.

Also: today, January 20th, is the 76th anniversary of the Wannsee Conference.

(08-16-2014, 11:03 AM)Vultural Wrote: Die Wannseekonferenz -1984 - 8/10

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

German documentary based on official transcripts of the 1942 meeting of high ranking Reich officials in the Berlin suburb of Wannsee.
Main topic was the establishment of concentration camps in the east, followed by deportation and extermination of European Jews.
Chaired by Reinhard Heydrich, the main purpose was to get everyone committed to the Final Solution.  All would bear responsibility, all would bear liability.
Low key performances offset by chilling dialogue.
Must see film, since we constantly forget the past.

(08-16-2014, 12:47 PM)TM2YC Wrote: ^ FYI... Kenneth Branagh was in a powerful BBC drama about the same meeting. He played Heydrich, Stanley Tucci played Eichmann, also Colin Firth and David Threlfall.

Conspiracy (2001) (Amazon Video)

[Image: tumblr_mxistxHj7z1stxu8xo2_500.jpg]

What TM2YC said. A gripping film closely based on the only surviving copy of the meeting's minutes that all should see. The closing parable about the man who hated his father is particularly haunting.

A
I love the title. Am guessing it's a reference to "It Can't Happen Here" by Sinclair Lewis.

Will have to check that out