• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Lagarith color space

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A question regarding Lagarith AVI... I've noticed that there is the option to choose the colour spacing when using the codec. The default is RGB, but there are also options for YV12 and YUY2. 

This in mind, is it a good idea to use something like Media Info to check the colour spacing of the source and then adjust this in the codecs settings accordingly? Or is it not a big deal? 

If so, would I be correct in assuming that if the source says the colour spacing is "YUV", it's safe to use "YV12" when using the codec?

Thanks in advance.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It depends on which editing software you are using. Vegas requires RGB colorspace, so you should always use the Lagarith conversion to control the colorspace conversion as well.

I believe Premiere doesn't have that restriction so you may be able to use a YUV colorspace that is native to you source and delivery formats.

I edit in Vegas, so I always use RGB when converting to Lagarith

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting. I use Vegas as well and have been editing with YV12 today without an issue. When you say it requires it... Am I likely to run into problems if I've been using something other than RGB? Or do you mean it doesn't normally let it import? Maybe newer versions are different? 

I'm using Magix Vegas 14, btw.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Interesting. I use Vegas as well and have been editing with YV12 today without an issue. When you say it requires it... Am I likely to run into problems if I've been using something other than RGB? Or do you mean it doesn't normally let it import? Maybe newer versions are different? 

I'm using Magix Vegas 14 btw.

I haven't tried Vegas 14 yet, but (at least in versions up to 13) Vegas converts the display to RGB. It will import it no problem, but your editing session will be in RGB, not YV12 or YUV. You may notice a change in the levels or color in your display window.

The quick work around to this in the past (if using a YUV file) was adding a levels adjustment, and using the studio RGB to computer RGB preset.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Control the conversion to RGB with AviSynth.  (See here.) Then set Mode in Lagarith's configuration dialog to match.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Cap'n! I was hoping you would add some info here :)

Top Bottom