• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Bit Ripper

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone come across Bit Ripper? I've stumbled upon it, but it seems almost too good to be true...

It appears to make the entire process of getting your DVD into an editable format quick and simple... You load the DVD, pick the title, click the button and away you go... You can customise the aspect ratio or keep it the same and even have output as lagarith AVI. To my eyes it seems fine, but just curious if anyone more experienced has tried it and knows more.

Obviously, if you want to work with demuxed audio, then this isn't ideal. But if your not bothered about that or are working with mono, like on older movies, then it seems like a good option.

Thoughts?

Interested to hear feedback on this one, I like makemkv for ripping dvd/bluray but mkv no good for Vegas so this might do the job. Can you rip to .mp4 losslesly?

Sinbad said:
Interested to hear feedback on this one, I like makemkv for ripping dvd/bluray but mkv no good for Vegas so this might do the job. Can you rip to .mp4 losslesly?

It's only AVI as far as I'm aware, but it's very flexible with codecs. I believe AVI is meant to be better when working with Vegas anyway.

The Scribbling Man said:
Sinbad said:

It's only AVI as far as I'm aware, but it's very flexible with codecs. I believe AVI is meant to be better when working with Vegas anyway.

I'll give it a go! :) I have a bit of a mental block with .avi being lesser quality based on the old days of divx, I know its a container and irrelevant to actual quality really

The Scribbling Man said:

Movie rescue and tsMuxer are my go to for Blu Rays.

Sinbad said:

I use Vegas and I'm not using Avi anymore. I did HttF with a 300gb lagarith AVI, then I did RotR with 28gb m2ts file from movie rescuer. I think RotR looks better. It's also easier to work with a smaller file.

I'll have to revisit bitripper, but Vegas can easily handle .ifo and .vob files so I just use DVD shrink to make a 1:1 file of the main movie and go from there.

DigModiFicaTion said:
I'll have to revisit bitripper, but Vegas can easily handle .ifo and .vob files so I just use DVD shrink to make a 1:1 file of the main movie and go from there.

In my experience, VOB's in vegas causes a lot of slowdown, to the point where I'm better off rendering a short clip to see whether a transition works well enough. It can be pretty frustrating - but that may just be my computer being naff. 

You quoted me and Sinbad the wrong way round btw :p

Oops, that's a badSin Man, Scribbling The wrong names. ;)

Just Digitally Modify it then :D

DigModiFicaTion said:
I use Vegas and I'm not using Avi anymore. I did HttF with a 300gb lagarith AVI, then I did RotR with 28gb m2ts file from movie rescuer. I think RotR looks better. It's also easier to work with a smaller file.

Interesting. Anyone else have experience with this?  @"ThrowgnCpr" or @"Captain Khajiit" ?

Sorry, that should say using movie rescuer, not from.

TVs Frink said:
DigModiFicaTion said:

Interesting. Anyone else have experience with this?  "ThrowgnCpr" or "Captain Khajiit" ?

For my ITW X-Men edit, I needed to go that same route, since I have to use small bits of many HD sources and didn't want to rip just the parts I needed for fear of audio sync problems I experienced in early tests, and just didn't have the hard drive space to hold like 5 or 6 uncompressed HD resolution, feature-length Logarith files. AND my personal computer is pretty old and has never been very good at handling that format, I assume it's underpowered.

My workflow mostly follows Throw & Cap's guides to get the video on my computer unaltered, up to the point that I have the m2ts and the separate audio. Then I just don't convert to logarith and open the audio files in Audacity, and export as separate wavs. Then just import the m2ts and wavs into the editor. It seems to work easily enough for me.

The only problem I've experienced was an issue with one BD rip (X-Men 3) that looked just awful no matter how many times I tried it with one program (MakeMKV), so I had to switch to another (DVDFab I think), but that eventually worked out ok. The bad copy looked almost like playback glitches from software, so it was hard to diagnose what was wrong, but after rendering I figured it out. Tried the other program. Got a clean m2ts file and so far, no more problems in Premiere (working on that edit in my off time on my work laptop because it's newer and a more powerful machine and has Adobe CC). I think it'd work fine in Vegas too. 

Maybe someone will come along and point out I'm doing something technically wrong. In that case, just remember, I haven't released a full edit yet, so if their advice conflicts with mine, listen to them.

Back
Top Bottom