If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Disney planning to buy Fox
(02-27-2019, 06:05 PM)TomH1138 Wrote: Disney has settled its legal issues with Brazil

Terry Gilliam gets a break at least.
It's official, folks. As of 12:02 am Central Time on Mar. 20 (tomorrow), Disney finally owns Fox.

Apparently, they own the portion called 21st Century Fox, with just plain "Fox" being the separate entity that owns the cable networks. It's not 100% clear from the press release, but it sounds like 20th Century Fox ceases to be at this point.

So will the famous logo be amended to "21st," or will Disney release future Fox productions under a different name? Guess we'll find out when Dark Phoenix drops in June.

https://www.21cf.com/news/21st-century-f...RxyHZUptWQ
I hope the classic fanfare stays...
[+] 2 users Like Masirimso17's post
(03-19-2019, 10:53 AM)TomH1138 Wrote: It's official, folks. As of 12:02 am Central Time on Mar. 20 (tomorrow), Disney finally owns Fox.

Oh...

[Image: 6Kxf04P.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like DonKamillo's post
I just looked up Fox's release schedule on Wikipedia, curious to see what the first film will officially be released under the Disney ownership.

Based on all the media buzz, I assumed it was "Dark Phoenix" on June 7. But in fact, Fox has two movies on its release schedule before then: "Breakthrough," a Christian movie based on a true story about a near-death experience; and "Ad Astra," a sci-fi movie with an apparently original script. (Remember those?)

"Breakthrough" is one of the last films to be distributed under the Fox 2000 banner. I never knew why that subsidiary existed in the first place; even Wikipedia doesn't have much information on them. As best as I can tell, they focused on literary adaptations such as "Diary of a Wimpy Kid." ("Breakthrough" is also based on a book.)

I'm really surprised I haven't heard more about "Ad Astra." It boasts a huge cast including Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones, and it's set for the busy Memorial Day weekend. Considering how much complaining I hear that everything these days is just a superhero movie, a sequel or a reboot, I would think people would give this more attention.

At any rate, "Breakthrough" will be released on Apr. 17, "Ad Astra" will be released on May 24, and "Dark Phoenix" will be released on June 7.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_20...ming_films
So do they have complete control of the original Star Wars films or what? That's the only potential silver lining to this affair.
[+] 1 user Likes TM2YC's post
They should.  I hope episode 9 opens with the FOX fanfare and they retroactively put it on TFA and TLJ.  The films just don't seem right starting without it.
I noticed that they removed the FOX Fanfare from the banner that precedes official downloads of their tv shows, at least on the SKY box I use.
(03-30-2019, 09:52 AM)TM2YC Wrote: So do they have complete control of the original Star Wars films or what? That's the only potential silver lining to this affair.

Hey! Sorry I didn't see this comment sooner.

Yes, Disney owns all of Star Wars now. As it was, the rights to all movies from The Empire Strikes Back onward would have moved from Fox to Disney by 2020. But they never would have owned the original 1977 film because George Lucas didn't have the clout to own that film outright while making it. He successfully negotiated for all sequel rights (which Fox gladly gave him because they were certain the film was going to bomb). But they were never going to own A New Hope, and now they do.

Having to wait on the rights to the previous movies is one of the reasons (not the only reason, but one of them) that Disney got moving on making new films so fast: They wanted to produce content they completely owned. (That's also why they cancelled Clone Wars, because Warner Bros./Cartoon Network had a stake in that.)

The recent reissues, such as the digital releases in 2015, existed in some sort of weird nebulous legal state. (I mean, I'm sure the lawyers had it all worked out, but from the outside, it was confusing.) The Fox logo had been removed from the beginning, which suggested Disney was behind those releases, but as stated earlier, all media sources said that Disney didn't own those films until 2020. However, since they owned Lucasfilm, they own the franchise and the characters. Fox and Disney probably had to work in tandem for those releases. But now everything is free and clear for Disney to own.

I wholeheartedly agree with Hymie: I think fans would lose their minds (in a good way) if The Rise of Skywalker opened with the Fox fanfare. I was even hoping that the first trailer would have the logo, but alas, it didn't, so who knows what Disney is planning. It won't ruin my enjoyment, but it would be an amazing bonus if we got the Fox fanfare on Star Wars one last time.
(03-30-2019, 12:57 PM)Zarius Wrote: I noticed that they removed the FOX Fanfare from the banner that precedes official downloads of their tv shows, at least on the SKY box I use.

That's a shame. Which shows? Do they use a Disney or Touchstone or ABC Studios logo instead?

I noticed that all TV shows previously produced by Paramount now have a "CBS Television Productions" logo on them, such as Taxi (which aired on ABC and then NBC), Cheers (NBC) and Happy Days (ABC), because CBS is the studio that owns them now.