If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Disney planning to buy Fox
(01-06-2018, 03:00 PM)addiesin Wrote: Do you think they'll rename to rebrand? 

21st Century Mouse?

OR do you think what's left of Fox will rename itself Murdoch News (or something similar) so Disney can keep the Fox name?

The word on the street is that Fox's news and sports divisions will be rebranded as "new Fox." Still no word on who gets the logo or fanfare.

As for TV material, I could see all of it getting branded "ABC Studios." The current trend is for any TV content owned by a studio to be branded by whatever network is also owned by the same company, regardless of what network it originally aired on. Hence, Taxi DVDs have a "CBS Video" logo on them, since Viacom owns both that network as well as Paramount, which produced Taxi, even though it aired on ABC and then NBC but never on the Eyeball Network.

If Disney follows the same strategy, look for shows like Modern Family (produced by Fox, airing on ABC) to get the "ABC Studios" logo quickly added to them. Still up in the air are what Disney would do with something like The Simpsons. It would be very odd to see a show that has always been produced by, and aired on, Fox to suddenly get "ABC Studios" slapped on the DVDs and merchandise. Especially since The Simpsons is one of the original shows that Fox aired to distinguish itself from the less edgy fare of the other networks of the time, such a labeling would feel truly ironic.

There's another aspect I failed to mention, and have only just barely heard a few other sites talk about: Disney is planning on launching a streaming service(s) sometime later this year, and with the purchase, they'll also have a controlling interest in Hulu. Depending on if/when the sale is finalized, they've just exponentially increased their TV and film library for such a service. 

On the one hand, that might give a new lease on life for some old Fox shows and movies that are too obscure to otherwise get such a release. On the other hand, Disney is infamous for ignoring anything that they can't make a billion dollars on, so maybe the shows getting a little bit of attention will get even less attention under the new regime. 

Still a lot of questions and a lot of things up in the air right now!
(01-09-2018, 05:31 PM)TomH1138 Wrote: There's another aspect I failed to mention, and have only just barely heard a few other sites talk about: Disney is planning on launching a streaming service(s) sometime later this year, and with the purchase, they'll also have a controlling interest in Hulu. Depending on if/when the sale is finalized, they've just exponentially increased their TV and film library for such a service. 

I'm glad you brought that up. I'm pretty sure Disney will buy out the other companies involved (from their stake in Hulu, I'm not saying they'll literally buy the companies), or will use their controlling interest to renegotiate whatever contact they've inherited. Then I think Hulu will simply be rebranded and will become their streaming service. It makes more sense than building an all new service.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// IdeasIdea Central //
(01-09-2018, 06:25 PM)addiesin Wrote: I'm glad you brought that up. I'm pretty sure Disney will buy out the other companies involved (from their stake in Hulu, I'm not saying they'll literally buy the companies), or will use their controlling interest to renegotiate whatever contact they've inherited. Then I think Hulu will simply be rebranded and will become their streaming service. It makes more sense than building an all new service.

I agree, that makes the most sense. However, there have been rumblings that Disney might do multiple separate streaming services: one for Disney animated and family-friendly stuff; one for Marvel/Lucasfilm action stuff; one for ESPN and other sports-related stuff; etc.

I am adamantly against this idea. The reason why so many people have cut the cords of cable is because it got to be obscenely expensive. Netflix offered a much more reasonable, affordable alternative. If Disney thinks we're going to shell out $20 a month for multiple services from one company, I think they're going to be in for a rude awakening. 

(Mind you, Disney already has a streaming platform that offers all of this content for roughly 2 or 3 American dollars.)

At any rate, these plans are not confirmed, so let's hope Disney is sensible when the time comes, or that the market gets them to course-correct.
(01-10-2018, 11:02 AM)TomH1138 Wrote: If Disney thinks we're going to shell out $20 a month for multiple services from one company, I think they're going to be in for a rude awakening. 

Or not. 

You know what they say... 

"I live in the Tower of Flints. I am the death-owl."

COMPLETED: IFDB
ITW: Lord of The Zep ~ The Thing From 1951
IDEAS: Thread ~ B+ Movie Series ~ Anatomy of a Shrinking Man ~ Avatar: TLA (TV-Movie Project)
(01-10-2018, 11:02 AM)TomH1138 Wrote: I agree, that makes the most sense. However, there have been rumblings that Disney might do multiple separate streaming services: one for Disney animated and family-friendly stuff; one for Marvel/Lucasfilm action stuff; one for ESPN and other sports-related stuff; etc.

I am adamantly against this idea. The reason why so many people have cut the cords of cable is because it got to be obscenely expensive. Netflix offered a much more reasonable, affordable alternative. If Disney thinks we're going to shell out $20 a month for multiple services from one company, I think they're going to be in for a rude awakening. 
Well I won’t speak for the masses, but we cut the cord for two main reasons: 1. My kids were starting to be brainwashed by commercials; 2. I grew tired of paying $100/month for the handful of channels we actually watched. 

So one could argue that if Disney were to break up their services it would allow for more freedom of choice. For example, ESPN is expensive. If you’re not into sports, you’d likely save a bundle by not subscribing to that service. Likewise, I couldn’t give a shit about superheroes and any Lucasfilm content I’d want, I already own. So for me, I’d be most interested in the kid’s programming (classic Disney and Pixar). If I could get that alone for under $10, I’d be more inclined to subscribe than if it were all bundled for $30.
Getting really speculative, but there is precedent to having one (already established) streaming service with multiple subscription tiers. Netflix and Hulu already do this, though not yet as a way to filter content. YouTube also has two subscription models running next to their free offerings, and those subscriptions do filter content. Then there's the obvious cable package model they could follow, not too different from this concept from the end user perspective, honestly.

I'm just saying that though they might segment their content, it doesn't necessarily mean each segment will have to be a whole separate service/app.
// IdeasIdea Central //
I agree with that. I would imagine a Disney app, which branded content segmented beneath. I’d much rather have that than be forced to shell out a few extra bucks for Fox News.
Oops, I forgot to reply to this!

Moe_Syzlak, you make some very good points. Not wanting to pay for a bunch of sports channels that I won't watch is why I never got cable. But I could see a tiered subscription service working.

I would probably want all the other Disney/Lucasfilm/Marvel stuff, though. But at some point it becomes prohibitively expensive.

Capitalism is Cancer. Hierarchy is Horrible. Intellectual Property law is Insane.

Burn it all down.
(02-09-2018, 06:58 AM)Zamros Wrote:

Capitalism is Cancer. Hierarchy is Horrible. Intellectual Property law is Insane.

Burn it all down.

And now, the OTHER half of the conversation: