• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Reworked (by EXPOED)

EXPOED

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a thread containing most if not all the changes made to my cut of Sony's The Amazing Spider-Man 2:

-Cut any and all mention of Peter Parker's parents, including their opening plane scene and the subplot of Richard Parker's secret subway
-Removed the jarring plane collision scene during the final showdown with Electro
-Added multiple deleted scenes from the Blu Ray, such as the extended scene of Harry Osborn attacking oscorp
-Rearranged a few scenes near the beginning of the film and scrapped the unnecessary "Laundry Sheriff" scene
-Cut out any cringe-worthy/corny dialogue as well as Rhino firing at Spider-Man after he spends way too long joking around with a criminal who is literally unloading a firearm into a populated street (Spidey would never let that happen!)
-Completely re-scored Harry's breaking into Ravencroft
-Removed the ending battle with Rhino, the movie is much better off ending with the somber cliffhanger I added
-Smoothed out the audio across the film, it is surprisingly riddled with loud audio clicks/pops. I did my best to remove those that I could
-Cut some miscellaneous shots in the opening scene and some in the clock tower fight with Goblin (these were very shaky GoPro shots that really ruined immersion at some points)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit submitted, thread moved to Pending.  Good luck.

SpectacularSMan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks great! My first fanedit was ASM 2 (hence the profile pic), but it was done on Windows Movie Maker and way too embarassing to upload. I've never gotten around to remaking it, and the Spider-Man fan in me always gets excited to see someone trying to tackle these Webb movies. Look forward to keeping up with this!

Blipps

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What's the difference between this edit and sparkles edition?

EXPOED

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SpectacularSMan said:
Looks great! My first fanedit was ASM 2 (hence the profile pic), but it was done on Windows Movie Maker and way too embarassing to upload. I've never gotten around to remaking it, and the Spider-Man fan in me always gets excited to see someone trying to tackle these Webb movies. Look forward to keeping up with this!
Glad to have your support! I've been having some trouble finding a decent platform to upload the reworked film, hence why I've been unable to provide anyone with suitable links- but I believe I may have found a remedy to my ailment! Stay tuned as I should have a streamable link available soon.

EXPOED

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blipps said:
What's the difference between this edit and sparkles edition?

While I cannot say for sure as I have not seen the Sparkles Edition, from the changes listed on its FanEdit page it seems that I've both added more as well as cut more from the film to create a more streamlined final product. I haven't added any deleted scenes with incomplete visual effects and I haven't added any scenes of my own creation, only what was already created by the studio. I've also removed a lot of scenes that slow down the overall pace of the film for the sake of a joke such as the infamous 'laundry sheriff' scene. In another attempt to smooth out the pacing I removed literally every mention of Peter's parents in the film. They never appear once except in a photograph at the end. It's amazing how little impact that specific plot thread has on the overall narrative despite having 20 minutes of runtime dedicated to it. My cut of the film also ends on more of a bittersweet cliffhanger and not in the middle of an action sequence.

It seems that the only similarities between the my version and the Sparkles edition is the removed opening sequence as well as the plane-crash subplot in the third act, other than that they're completely different changes to create a very different movie.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I discovered some framerate issues while reviewing this for the Academy, so thread is moved back to in-the-works. Hopefully they can be resolved relatively easily.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've watched the latest version of this TASM2 edit for an Academy review. All the video and audio cuts, scene removals, scene additions were totally seamless. It's been a while since I watched the original movie, so I forget what is new/old butI was totally going to approve it until 15-seconds from the end when there was a problem with this change:

EXPOED said:
-Removed the ending battle with Rhino, the movie is much better off ending with the somber cliffhanger I added

There are two shots from the Rhino sequence still in the ending montage. If you are going to remove something then, it needs to be 100% removed. Either remove the two shots, or replace them (and the soundfx) with something else e.g. a shot of Aunt May smiling, sunset over the city, flashback to Spidey saving somebody, or something else positive? Once that is fixed this edit is good to go but it's not approved right now.

By the way... there is an electronic glitch thing at 01.50.11 during the credits. I'm not sure if this was part of the original credits, or where a mid credits bonus scene was removed? Just wanted to check.

EXPOED

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So glad you got around to watching my cut of the film, and even gladder to hear my edits were spot on!

As for your gripe about the ending montage containing shots of Rhino, is the solution just to reword the change regarding Rhino? I did remove the final actual battle between the two, but leaving the ending shots of Rhino robbing the bank was entirely intentional. If I were to remove it Peter has no real motivation to get back into being Spidey again as the cliffhanger suggests- and this would be quite a large plot hole in my opinion as I don't see Pete taking up the mantle as Spider-Man again simply because he listened to Gwen's graduation speech, which he could've listened to at any time in the 6 months since her death. 
I still like the idea of Rhino being the first member of the foreshadowed Sinister Six and having the movie end with that but not having Peter and him duke it out for twenty seconds and have it abruptly end before things really get going. As a result, I left Rhino in at the end as more of a brief Easter Egg and less of a ridiculous minute-long anti-climactic battle that only serves to look cool in trailers.

As for the electronic glitch at the middle of the credits, it is present in the original film. Not entirely sure why, but it is.

EXPOED

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I've watched the latest version of this TASM2 edit for an Academy review. All the video and audio cuts, scene removals, scene additions were totally seamless.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]So glad you got ar[/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif]ound to watching my cut of the film, and even gladder to hear my edits were spot on![/font]

TM2YC said:
 It's been a while since I watched the original movie, so I forget what is new/old butI was totally going to approve it until 15-seconds from the end when there was a problem with this change:

EXPOED said:

There are two shots from the Rhino sequence still in the ending montage. If you are going to remove something then, it needs to be 100% removed. Either remove the two shots, or replace them (and the soundfx) with something else e.g. a shot of Aunt May smiling, sunset over the city, flashback to Spidey saving somebody, or something else positive? Once that is fixed this edit is good to go but it's not approved right now.

By the way... there is an electronic glitch thing at 01.50.11 during the credits. I'm not sure if this was part of the original credits, or where a mid credits bonus scene was removed? Just wanted to check.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]As for your gripe about the ending montage containing shots of Rhino, is the solution just to reword the change regarding Rhino? I did remove the final actual battle between the two, but leaving the ending shots of Rhino robbing the bank was entirely intentional. If I were to remove it Peter has no real motivation to get back into being Spidey again as the cliffhanger suggests- and this would be quite a large plot hole in my opinion as I don't see Pete taking up the mantle as Spider-Man again simply because he listened to Gwen's graduation speech, which he could've listened to at any time in the 6 months since her death. [/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I still like the idea of Rhino being the first member of the foreshadowed Sinister Six and having the movie end with that but not having Peter and him duke it out for twenty seconds and have it abruptly end before things really get going. As a result, I left Rhino in at the end as more of a brief Easter Egg and less of a ridiculous minute-long anti-climactic battle that only serves to look cool in trailers.[/font]

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]As for the electronic glitch at the middle of the credits, it is present in the original film. Not entirely sure why, but it is.[/font]

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
EXPOED said:
As for your gripe

It wasn't a "gripe".

"gripe - verb: to complain about something in a persistent, irritating way."

EXPOED said:
leaving the ending shots of Rhino robbing the bank was entirely intentional. If I were to remove it Peter has no real motivation to get back into being Spidey again

But you don't show "Rhino robbing the bank". You have a shot of a cafe with people looking at something, and then a blurry shot of the back of some kind of robot (we've never seen before) possibly exiting a Bank? Personally I think the scene would work just as well without those two shots but if you do want to keep an element of setting up a new threat, then more than two shots are going to be required to accomplish that aim. There is so much footage there that could be cherry picked for extra shots in the sequence:

For example... the shot at 00.41 (in the above video) of the kid in the Spidey costume could be added to add an element of "the people still believe in him" and maybe a shot of the police firing at something, a shot the crowd looking scared and then back to Spidey looking at the mask and then to the credits. It needs a little bit more of something to sell what you are trying to say. Perhaps even intercut a few shots earlier into your end montage? Have another crack at it, I bet you can do better.

EXPOED said:
As for the electronic glitch at the middle of the credits, it is present in the original film. Not entirely sure why, but it is.

Thanks, it's fine then but weird that they did that.

EXPOED

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
EXPOED said:
As for your gripe

It wasn't a "gripe".

"gripe - verb: to complain about something in a persistent, irritating way."

Didn't mean to come across as demeaning, I meant it as "as for the problem you've indentified".

TM2YC said:
EXPOED said:
leaving the ending shots of Rhino robbing the bank was entirely intentional. If I were to remove it Peter has no real motivation to get back into being Spidey again

But you don't show "Rhino robbing the bank". You have a shot of a cafe with people looking at something, and then a blurry shot of the back of some kind of robot (we've never seen before) possibly exiting a Bank? Personally I think the scene would work just as well without those two shots but if you do want to keep an element of setting up a new threat, then more than two shots are going to be required to accomplish that aim. 

My thought process was as follows: having a shot of the Rhino mech walking away from a hole in a building with multiple dollar bills swirling about close to the camera was enough to get the point across that it was a bank that he'd just robbed, or at the very least that it was in fact Rhino and that he's up to no good. 
Also, another reason I left it in was I felt that the scene of Mr. Fiers walking through the Oscorp 'special projects' division was enough to set up Rhino as a little cameo at the end and for it to be easily understandable.

The scene I'm referring to is here: 
and it remains untouched in my edit of the film.
Mr. Fiers walks down the hall of villainous super-suits and his conversation with Harry at Ravencroft plays over the scene. Mr. Fiers mentions that a certain Aleksei Sytsevich wishes to join the team he's forming (as the audience we'd assume it's to get revenge on Spidey for getting him locked away at the beginning of the film) and Harry states that they should start with him. The camera then lingers and zooms in on a large animatronic mech-suit for enough time for the audience to put together that it's the Rhino's suit (the large horn should give it away). The scene that then immediately follows it shows Jorge watching the news, and the newscaster states that Aleksei Sytsevich was broken out of Ravencroft by an unknown group of men. From this we gather that, 1- Rhino has been equipped with his giant mechsuit seen earlier, and 2- He is now on the loose with said suit and will presumably be causing trouble. Side note: Peter also hears this news broadcast in the next scene so he is aware that Rhino is on the loose as well.

So, with all this in mind, I came to the conclusion that the shot of startled citizens at the cafe reacting to a loud explosion followed by the brief behind-the-back shot we get of Rhino exiting the bank was more than enough to assume that Rhino is now on the loose and it is Spidey's job to go and stop him- but not in this movie! 
I kind of like that the movie begins with Spidey stopping Rhino as a fun action sequence and then Rhino being the villain he needs to resume the life of Spider-Man again to stop. I view it as a nice little bookend to end on- without the bloated, half-baked sequence where they actually fight.

Here's hoping that you agree with my reasoning. Every aspect of this edit was meticulously thought out beforehand and I'd hate to have to change the ending to something I don't particularly agree with, on a creative level at least.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
EXPOED said:
I felt that the scene of Mr. Fiers walking through the Oscorp 'special projects' division was enough to set up Rhino as a little cameo at the end and for it to be easily understandable.

It certainly does not make it "easily understandable" and I suspect anybody else who watches this edit (without having seen the original cut first) will also be confused by those two shots. However, you make a good point with that video clip above. It does mention the character by name and show the Robot suit, plus talk of recruiting him, so I suppose technically it does serve to establish Rhino, even if it's done in a fairly opaque way. Given your point, I'll "downgrade" my observation from "must fix", to "should fix" :D .

So this fanedit is approved, congratulations. Thread moved.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

davetennisx

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actually really enjoyed TASM2, even though it was a bloated mess.

I look forward to seeing a more streamlined version of it!

TheCannon577

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey Expoed! Was wondering if you could send me a copy of your edit, would love to see it. Heard great things about it!

Top Bottom