• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Source Code: Version 1.2

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
source_code_poster.jpg

Update (2.5.23):

Resurrecting this old edit of mine for a third (and hopefully final) version. It's probably my most requested and those that have seen it seem to be happy with it, but I guess we're our own worst critic and there's been some niggles I just haven't been able to shrug off over the years. Most of these new changes will probably go by unnoticed and are for my own satisfaction, but the two most notable things that might appeal to some are the addition of subtitles and the upgrade to surround sound.

Here's a complete list of new changes for version 3:

• Updated my branding
  • Tweaked presentation of FE logo
  • Improved font for custom title
  • Revisited colour re-grade. Previously I had done a very light tweak across the board, but this time I have divided the scenes into separate tracks and approached them differently. There is less of a teal hue across the film (original left, mine right).
image.png
image.png

image.png
image.png

image.png
image.png

image.png
image.png

• Previously I cut all future-flashes from the memory segments, leaving mostly kaleidoscopic visuals and some shots of Christina as we transition back to reality. Now there are less shots of Christina and some fragments of the warzone flashback that Stevens' has in full later on have been mixed in (old memory flash left, new memory flash right).
image.png
image.png
  • In my old version two shots were slowed down, dropping frames. They don't look too bad IMO, but I would never do this now and because I can see it's there, I want to get rid of it. The shots have been properly slowed down with AI for a consistent framerate and a smooth look. Film grain has been layered on top to convey a normal sense of filmic movement.
  • Reverse shot swooping into the frozen kiss tweaked. There were a handful of frames at the end where the actors move every so slightly, which I have now shaved off.
  • The final line "you take care, Mr Stevens" was previously interrupted by a quiet, stray heartbeat sound. I couldn't get rid of it at the time, but I can now. The old score was also bleeding through. It was well hidden in stereo, but likely won't hold up quite as well in surround, so that has now been mostly scrubbed clean.
  • We pause a little longer on the shot of Stevens "sleeping" peacefully before fading out. We pause a little longer with a slightly extended music cue before the credits show up. This had always bothered me as I never felt like i had quite nailed the pacing of the end in the HD rework as well as I had in my SD version.
  • Higher quality render
  • English Subtitles
  • Surround sound (FLAC and AC3 options)

TBC, but I might see if I can also sync up the director's commentary track

OP for SD version from 2018:

File Size: 1.28 GB
Source: PAL DVD
Other Sources: Fanedit Templates, Source Code (Orig. Motion Picture ST)
Original Runtime: 89
Fanedit Runtime: 84
Time Cut: 5

Synopsis:

The original “Source Code” is a good film, but is let down by a shallow and a poorly executed twist ending. “Version 1.2” removes the last minute “life” theme and shifts the emphasis to Captain Colter Stevens receiving dignity and closure before embracing his fate. A handful of other small changes have also been made (see cutlist).

Intention:

I initially went in with the sole aim of ending the movie 5 minutes earlier, so as to rid it of the awful “Love Conquers Plot Holes” ending. But after trying it, it just felt too abrupt. Therefore I decided to take a new approach and alter the narrative during the phone call scene in order to use that footage and provide some finality to the closing shots. This is also meant that I had to rescore parts of these scenes in order to cover up some unwanted sound effects (no clean centre channel).

The Gist:
· Applied minor colour balance filter
· Removed “Love Conquers Plot Holes” Ending.
· Rearranged scenes to create new ending narrative.
· Shifted the emphasis from “life” to giving Stevens dignity and closure.
· A handful of other, minor cuts

Full Cutlist:
· Applied colour balance filter to whole film, reducing overly dominant colours and increasing brightness slightly
· Added fanedit.org templates
· Added Scribbling Man logo
· Added custom title
· Tightened first train explosion, also:
· Removed naff CG shot of train crashing
· Tightened second train explosion
· Trimmed second post-explosion blackout
· Edited all flashes to exclude any "future" memories (and in one case created a new one)
· Trimmed Stevens getting hit by train
· Removed memory flash completely (I.e. Train hits - Stevens Jolts awake)
· Removed "Bing" product placement when Stevens is using the woman's phone
· Cut “I knew he was a keeper”
· Re-edited and rescored phonecall scene. It’s now ambiguous who Stevens calls, and whether he gets through.
· Cut some of Goodwins more bizarre expressions when looking at Stevens body.
· Trimmed Max’s joke so we hear as little of it as possible without it being jarring. It’s a bad joke.
· Cut “Look” “What?” “All this life…” – somewhat poorly placed alongside Max’s sex joke.
· Re-edited and rescored film during when everyone freezes to include Stevens phonecall to his dad as a partial voice over. Changed closing shots to the infinite kiss followed by Stevens looking peaceful.
· Rescored end credits.

Special Thanks

· To everyone who provided feedback and encouragement (and a particular shout out to Sinbad, who also suggested the title)
· To my sister, for designing poster art
· To my OTHER sister, for bringing my attention to the memory flashes
· To ThrowgnCpr for technical assistance and advice on colour correction
· To my brother, whose idea it was to utilise the phone call scene
· To anyone else I’ve forgotten…

I've had this idea at the back of my mind ever since I saw the film at the cinema, and watching it again recently over Christmas got me thinking about it again. Therefore, since it's going to be a relatively "light" edit, I figure I may as well crack on while it's fresh in my mind.

Planned cut list:
  • Improve pacing during a couple of the train crash sequences.
  • Remove "I knew he was a keeper" line.
  • Cut Stevens texting Goodwin.
  • End film when Stevens is unplugged and everything freezes.
  • (Possibly) apply colour correction (the whole film has a very cold, bland, metallic look).
"Source Code: How It Should Have Ended" is a working title, so other suggestions are welcome.

I think the main issue will be making sure the film feels like it's ended. Although I've always felt that it should end when everything freezes, it still feels like there's a need for some kind of closure/epilogue. Obviously, the theatrical does have an epilogue, but within that it introduces a twist that makes absolutely no sense. So my fear is that by ending the film where "it should have ended", it will also inevitably feel quite abrupt. There's probably nothing I can do about it, but if anyone has any thoughts...

Last edited:

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
"Source Code: How It Should Have Ended" is a working title, so other suggestions are welcome.

Many people might consider your edit some interpretation of the HISHE series. I would suggest a different title, to avoid confusion.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
The Scribbling Man said:

Many people might consider your edit some interpretation of the HISHE series. I would suggest a different title, to avoid confusion.

Good point. Thanks. Not sure what else to call it at this stage though.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
HIRSHE (How It Really Should Have Ended)

You could use some variant of a Hershey's kiss for your logo.
hersheykiss.jpg

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's my quick attempt at the ending. The first minute is just for some context, then at around 1:10 I've retimed the music and slowed down some shots to help ease into the credits. I still think it might be a bit abrupt though. I sent the clip to my brother and he suggested having some kind of montage using earlier footage to sign things off, but I'm concerned that might be too cheesy.
Any thoughts?

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice job! just needs the mannequin challenge theme at the end. :) Might it be better fading slowly on that penultimate shot of Jake looking peaceful. A trick i use when i dont have many frames to work with in fairly still shots is to reverse the shot and add it on the end for some extra frames.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How's this?
Wasn't sure about the music change, but I think the shot you suggested works much better.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah definitely dont change the music haha, yeah that's much more poignant, I like it :)

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Yeah definitely dont change the music haha, yeah that's much more poignant, I like it :)

Thanks! 

Have you seen the film before?

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes it been a few years since I saw it, got the bluray so I will check the edit out when it's done
. They ended up in some parallel universe where he had legs again didn't they? Typical tacked on happy Hollywood ending.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Yes it been a few years since I saw it, got the bluray so I will check the edit out when it's done
. They ended up in some parallel universe where he had legs again didn't they? Typical tacked on happy Hollywood ending.

It's much worse than that, and makes very little sense. Here it is if you need a refresher:

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I've made all the changes I wanted to make with this - it's just the colour correction that I'm tweaking. 

And also... The ending. I could leave it as it is, but I can't help but feel that it still needs something extra to help bring the film to an end. 

I'm wondering if I could maybe shift things around a bit and move some footage from this scene:
My thoughts are that earlier you would see him make a phone call, but it would be ambiguous as to who he called... Until the end, where you would hear the conversation as we pan over the frozen shots etc. Eventually ending with that shot of peaceful Jake. That way the film says "yup. He's dead", but THEN the last thing you're presented with is a flashback that says "but look - he's frozen in a beautiful moment, and he got closure with his dad."

Thoughts?

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Think that could really work, I'd leave out the lines where his dad goes on about the state of his body etc and make it as poignant/upbeat as possible.  Yes the orginal ending does undo all the good stuff that came before it doesn't it?

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Phonecall Part 1 (Who is he calling? Did he get through!?):

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Editing this scene is emotionally exhausting. I'm gonna start crying soon. 

Here's Part 2:

Looking at it now, I'm not sure how well this works. Might need to alter some of the imagery beneath the voice over as the frozen people I think are a bit random. Hopefully I'm on the right track though. 

I know you (Sinbad) suggested taking out the bit about his ashes (which makes sense), but I think that could be jarring and a little odd for Stevens not to ask him how he's doing.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it does work pretty well, certainly better than the ending of the original film. What I like about the first version though is him infinitely kissing michelle monaghan in the source code
Then we see him at peace and the image of their kiss is fresh in the mind, this is definitely poignant but more downbeat than your other ending. Depends what you are going for I suppose.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What is the source/workflow on the alternate footage? There is some frame blending occurring. It's not horrible, but noticeable:

hd81mjU.jpg

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The source is a PAL dvd. I've just noticed that as well. It'll probably be due to the fact that I slowed down those shots slightly in order to aid in the timing. Guess I'll have to find another way around that.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh yes, slowing them down in your NLE would definitely cause that. 

After Effects is fantastic for slowing footage, as you can interpolate frames. I'm not sure if you have that at your disposal.  Otherwise, I would keep the framerate as is, and look into ways to recut it to fit your needs.

Top Bottom