• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS WITHIN)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cue fan theories based on that image (you know which one).

Some are denying it's Rey - but it looks like Rey... Naturally, if it looks like Rey, but isn't Rey, the obvious conclusion is that it's her dad.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The guy who went so far as to cast a white dude as Khan for fear of spoilers is not going to straight-up reveal a big-ass twist in a teaser. He's just not. So it's either a vision or misdirection, guaranteed.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I'll be honest, that last shot made me go "Oh!" It's spoiled by all the reuploads that populate youtube for whatever reason, they're using it as the thumbnail. I find that extremely annoying even though I wasn't spoiled.

This is a spoiler thread as indicated in the title. Just like this alternate cut of the Rey scene.
3c8uNCz.gif

Sith Army knives coming soon.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
addiesin said:
I'll be honest, that last shot made me go "Oh!" It's spoiled by all the reuploads that populate youtube for whatever reason, they're using it as the thumbnail. I find that extremely annoying even though I wasn't spoiled.

This is a spoiler thread as indicated in the title. Just like this alternate cut of the Rey scene.
3c8uNCz.gif

Sith Army knives coming soon.

I was complaining about all the copycat reupload YouTube channels that just take trailers, not about spoilers in the thread. I feel like they're scammy, so I try to make sure I'm watching new trailers from the channels that own them. That was my point. But on top of that, for this trailer, it seems they're all using that final shot as the thumbnail (I searched YouTube to show my wife). It's bad enough that the trailer views are 'stolen', but in this case even searching for the trailer will spoil a fresh viewing experience. I found that shot surprising and imagine many others would, too, if they didn't expect it.

The version you linked is from the official channel and doesn't have the spoiler thumbnail. All good here.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, I see. Yeah, unless someone is creating original content youtube seams to be all about being the first to reveal or say something.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Possible alternate poster revealed.

ecwe_nmu0aaqbms.jpg

I think I found the Emperor image that was used to make this. Quick and dirty comparison in spoiler tag below. 

2019.08.26-04.46-themixnet-5d640cd57a025.jpg

opacity.jpg

split.jpg

TLDR: I think Disney stole some guy's photo of a Star Wars toy.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dark Rey could be anything really. From vision, to clone, to twins... hell, for all we know she just could have killed a bad guy the scene before and take his cloak and saber to infiltrate a place. There are so many ways such a shot could appear in the movie that it means nothing much.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
About the poster: Emperor Palpatine is Disney's property.
Even if they are using some guy's picture of a toy, I hardly see that as a steal.
If we can make fanedits of Star Wars, then "Star Wars" can also use fan's made productions...!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Even if they are using some guy's picture of a toy, I hardly see that as a steal.
If we can make fanedits of Star Wars, then "Star Wars" can also use fan's made productions...!

Ethically, I agree with you. However, legally, I'm not so sure. I'm no lawyer.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
TMBTM said:

I think perhaps you meant to legally agree and ethically disagree? Anyway, Star Wars belongs to Disney and TMBTM pretty much nailed it. I'm no lawyer either, but Disney is the copyright holder and therefore calls the shots of production and distribution of their IP. Let's move on from ownership/copyright discussions.

Saw this shot of the new opening crawl this morning. Enjoy.

ezgif-2-b63b12e70e95.gif

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watch the Game Theory video about the legality of fan games. I believe it's the same laws. Could be wrong though.
I just remember one part where he was talking about this fan game that introduces new mechanics than the original game, and that if the creator of the original game put the mechanics into a new game, a problem may pursue.

More similar to this though, the creator of the original game accidentally used fan art for a poster for one of his games, and then quickly changed it and apologized when he realized.

Actually, that reminds me. There were international posters for Solo where they accidentally used fan art. This is nothing new. I don't remember what came of it though.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
jrWHAG42,
DigModiFicaTion said:
Let's move on from ownership/copyright discussions.

Thanks!

I'm sorry! I didn't see your post, you must've posted while I was typing and I didn't realize. I'm dropping it now then!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
addiesin said:
I think perhaps you meant to legally agree and ethically disagree?

You asked a question, so to clear this up (talking semantics, without getting into copyright, and then drop it entirely), no, I meant what I said., and I'm not sure what about it confused you.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Culture-Grumpy-Cat-487386121-2.jpg

It was meant as a rhetorical question as to not be a smug ftfy moment.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apparently the toy photo thing was known already. Oh well, I thought I found something interesting.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The more this trailer verifies plot leaks, the more astonished I am that Doctor Who has had more security this year than a major Hollywood production.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
The more this trailer verifies plot leaks, the more astonished I am that Doctor Who has had more security this year than a major Hollywood production.

I know right!? How does a multi-million blockbuster have baffaling incompetence, while a much-lower budgeted british TV show has had almost no leaks (although they appear just to be rumors).

Top Bottom