• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Episode VIII anticipation is dead. Long live Episode IX anticipation! The Sequel Trilogy is more than halfway complete. Abrams is back, though presumably he and Johnson, godfather of this announced upcoming trilogy, will collaborate on the story. What do you want? (Obviously, this is an unmarked TLJ spoilers thread.) I have a few ideas...

- How to handle Leia: I stand by my earlier idea from July:

Gaith said:
Lucasfilm logo. "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

SMASH CUT to a silent (with music) funeral scene. As with Glee and Cory Monteith, we all know why the character's gone, so there's really no need to explain it in-universe. (Canon sources elsewhere could officially designate it space cancer or whatever, but my idea lets the funeral be a tribute to Fisher as much as possible, just as the ending to Furious 7 was obviously for Paul Walker, rather than for Brian O'Conner.) Fade out.

STAR WARS title fanfare, crawl, movie.

In short, Fisher's passing would be so significant that it would be the only time the Episode format of "A long time ago", STAR WARS title fanfare, crawl, movie would ever be broken. I get that most don't enthusiastically love Thor: The Dark World as I do, but I think the two-minute dialogue-free Frigga funeral is a freakin' fantastic scene that would make an excellent model.

With Luke gone, the intention was obviously to have some kind of major confrontation between Leia and her son, who have not yet shared a frame or dialogue, in this last episode. Welp, that's obviously out the airlock, so I say retire Leia as the movie begins and move on.

- Don't be afraid to dream a little smaller: Okay, so Luke said "the war is just beginning," so the obvious next step is to do a mega, three-hour-plus, multi-battle-filled extravaganza featuring a half-finished Starkiller Plane - wait, how can a planet be half-finished? And how would it move? Hey, here's an idea: how about not going super-mega-epic? And - stay with me here - maybe even go below the two-hour mark, for the very first time? Some all-time classic films, from Casablanca to The Princess Bride to Galaxy Quest to 2 Fast 2 Furious clock in at around one hour forty. Let's maybe tone things down?

- Make it a quest flick?: Just an idea. I've never been much into the mystical lore of the Force as covered in the Clone Wars series (don't like the PT era, not one bit) and Rebels (though I haven't seen S3 yet), but after two sequel movies that heavily rehashed the OT, I'm ready for something new. Maybe Kylo goes off in search of the ultimate Sith MacGuffin, and our surviving Resistance heroes set off in hot pursuit. Maybe there is a big-ass war between the remnants of the Republic and the First Order, which we get glimpses of, but we as an audience focus on this small, intimate side quest. Call it the Monuments Men approach to the Second Galactic Civil War. (Wait, wait, no, don't call it that. Call it something else!)

- Bring back Lando?: For a secret cameo or even a significant supporting role, and give him a happy family, and let him survive to return to said family. I'm not the biggest sucker for feel-good fan service, but given the mostly miserable lives of Obi-Wan, Yoda, Han, Luke, R2, and Leia, I'm kinda ready for at least one OT hero to get a happily ever after. And Chewie, too? We could end with Rey and Chewie joining Lando for a delicious Life Day feast. Okay, maybe that's going a bit far. But don't dare bring him back and not give him a happy ending.

- Make it a real ending: We don't yet know when Rian Johnson's upcoming planned trilogy will be set, or what it'll focus on. And maybe in 30 years, assuming civilization hasn't collapsed, it'll be time for a Fourth Episode Trilogy which catches us up on how Rey's and Finn's post-IX lives have been full of tragedy and failure, but it's okay, because there's a new youngling in town to fight the evil Dictator Serratus Binks. Again, the safe and obvious move is for Rey to set up a new Jedi Fellowship of equals or something, without ranks or heirarchies maybe, but Jedi nonetheless. And, maybe that'd be okay. At this point, after all, it's hard to imagine a ending to the saga that feels like a real conclusion. But, maybe try anyway? A truly shocking move would be to close off Force magic from the living forever, like a certain favorite book series of mine (spoiler-link to what I mean). Or maybe give Rey the protypical lonesome cowboy/Ring-bearer ending? As in, she rides off into the unknown sunset because... y'know, because. I dunno, these are just ideas. But merely defeating the First Order, with Kylo redeeming himself as he dies, isn't enough. Hey, speaking of which...

- Don't redeem Kylo Ren. At all. Don't even try.:

Yeah.

Welp, those are my ideas at present. And yours?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
 (Obviously, this is an unmarked TLJ spoilers thread.)

It should be obvious but I went ahead and marked it anyway.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ha, nice post Gaith. 

And I'm totally on board with hoping that J.J. doesn't end up giving us a 'redeemed' Kylo by the end of this Sequel Trilogy.  Personally, that's one instance of 'rhyming' in this saga that I don't want to see.  Never mind the untold amount of people he's killed, he deserves to go down as an unredeemable brat by the end of this, purely for depriving us of seeing his dad Han appear in more than one of these sequels!  :p 

Anyway, a little something I would like to see in this next one, is for a brief moment concerning the reason for C3PO's red arm in TFA to be mentioned.  The interesting comicbook 'EU explanation' behind it would make for a great little poignant moment for him I reckon...and for the sake of all those left bewildered about what the hell that was all about when he suddenly had a golden arm again at the end of TFA, it would be nice to hear it's backstory briefly told in-movie rather than left as a head-scratcher!

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ImperialFighter said:
Anyway, a little something I would like to see in this next one, is for a brief moment concerning the reason for C3PO's red arm in TFA to be mentioned. 

But when 3P0 tries to explain in TFA, he gets interrupted. 

Because nobody cares. 

That's the joke.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
True, but I'd quite like for J.J. to confound expectations and turn it into something that we could  care about, rather than leave it as yet another unresolved mystery for those that don't know the 'EU' explanation for it.  

There's plenty of other 'jokes' and unexplained things in this sequel trilogy to be going on with as it is.  ;)

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If people started giving a shit about 3PO, his character wouldn't work.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
If people started giving a shit about 3PO, his character wouldn't work.

Not sure I agree with that Zamros.  Sure, he was sometimes dismissed by certain characters, but others seemed to warm to him.

Anyway, this potential moment needn't involve other people at all...as it could be just be done as a short wistful moment of it's signiificance between C3PO and another droid, for the benefit of us, the audience.

And here's the complete short story of 'The Phantom Limb' for those that have never seen it - 
No biggie at the end of the day, and highly unlikely to happen anyway.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i just figured that 3PO worked part-time as a high-level sith guard, hence the souvenir extremity.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
leaked footage of the broom boy from episode ix:

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As much as I hate to say that... IF the goal from the start was having Leia playing a major role in episode IX I'd prefer recasting her (with maybe very slight CG make up to add some Carrie likeness to the new actress?) rather than throwing away a good story arc for her. I'd even assume Carrie would be up for it.
THAT SAID, it all depends if they really had a full basic synopsis for the trilogy or not. I love TLJ but Rian saying that he had TOTAL freedom to do what he wanted and that all he had to take care about were the events of the previous movie made me wondering if they really had a full story when they started or not...
If they are totaly making this up as they go, then, sure, having a funeral for Leia (or explaining why she's not here) and focusing the story on the new characters with possibly Luke would be the way to go. But again if they have a good story to tell for the character of Leia, then, as much as I'm anal about continuity, recasting would be the only way to finish the story they wanted to tell.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually, I really like Threepio. I wish he'd be used better than the pointless cameos he's had in the last five movies, or alternatively that Anthony Daniels could be allowed to retire from the role gracefully. 

Also, since TLJ picks up a few hours after TFA, I wonder how and why an on-the-run Resistance would have bothered to replace his arm in that amount of time. It seems like they would have had higher priorities than that.

Having said all that, I realize that screen time is not going to be devoted to answering questions about robot arms, and that these things are the domain of the novels and comics.

TMBTM: While the technology is certainly there to keep Leia active Rogue One-style, the filmmakers have already said they're not going that direction. (I think it's a case of "too soon.") It's a shame that Leia won't ever get to significantly interact with her son, but I suppose that Force Ghost Luke will now bear the majority of that part of the storyline (that is, unless Disney is too ticked off with Mark Hammill's unintentionally controversial statements about TLJ).

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Also, since TLJ picks up a few hours after TFA, I wonder how and why an on-the-run Resistance would have bothered to replace his arm in that amount of time. It seems like they would have had higher priorities than that.

Having said all that, I realize that screen time is not going to be devoted to answering questions about robot arms, and that these things are the domain of the novels and comics.
I wouldn’t be so sure. Have you checked to be sure Disney hasn’t already registered “Red Arm: A Star Wars Story”?

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
any attempts to disrupt threepio short of vaporization will result in chewie putting him back together again.

perhaps an electromagnetic pulse?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
TMBTM: While the technology is certainly there to keep Leia active Rogue One-style, the filmmakers have already said they're not going that direction.

They said there will not be a CG Leia. That's not exactly my proposition. I'm talking about a little bit of CG make up (hell, even a little prostectic nose if it's enough! Call Peter Jackson's guys!). No CG to the extend of Leia in Rogue One. I would not want to completly cover the face of an actress with the likeness of Carrie Fisher, I agree that so soon after her death it would feel not good. I'm only saying that if they have a good actress that don't look like Carrie, they could "arrange" that one way or another (without masking the face of the new actress, that's not what I'd want; If you recast, you recast).
They also said that "Carrie Fisher" will not be in the movie (so they will probably not use old footages of her) BUT to my knowledge they never said that Leia, the character, will not be in episode IX (I don't think that's official?). Love it or hate it that let the door opened  for a recast of the role. That's a radical thing to do. And i'm not sure i'd be happy with that anyway, but that's the only way to tell the story they wanted to tell with Carrie. IF they had a story already fixed.
Anyway, I guess the easy route is to not have Leia in the movie, rework the story around someone else, and I suppose that's what they are going to do.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
It's a shame that Leia won't ever get to significantly interact with her son

Is it, though? I almost suspect they dodged a bullet there, given the black hole of motivation for Kylo's Dark Side turn we've been given so far. Maybe any conversation between the two could only go like this:

Leia:
You're my son and I love you, but you're also a child-killing mass murderer of millions who utterly broke my heart, and you deserve to spend the rest of your life in prison.

Kylo: From my point of view, the Resistance is evil!

Leia: Why the f*** is that?!

Kylo: Um... reasons. Oh, hey, I killed Snoke! Doesn't that earn me a pardon for everything else I've done?

Leia: No.

Kylo: Well, uh, this is awkward.

*Enter Finn and Rose, waving blasters and yelling. Action scene ensues, and Leia and Kylo are separated.*

Top Bottom