• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

MeGUI Compression Help

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Experimenting with compression settings and I've decided I don't really like the results I get with handbrake in terms of file size/quality ratio. I've got MeGUI, but I find the interface a little hard to get my head around. Had an experiment with it and managed to get my lossless AVI (81 minute film) to 3gb with a picture quality I was very pleased with, but for some reason there wasn't any audio. 

Having Googled around I'm guessing that it may be that I have to split and compress the audio and video separately and then rejoin - assuming I've got that right, anyone know the best way of doing this?

There is no "best". It depends on what you want to do with the output. You can mux video and audio in all sorts of ways.  Try MKVToolNix for starters.

Captain Khajiit said:
There is no "best". It depends on what you want to do with the output. You can mux video and audio in all sorts of ways.  Try MKVToolNix for starters.

Does anyone know how much of a difference it makes to give MeGUI a target file size, compared to just selecting "I don't care" and seeing what it comes out with using the rest of the settings?

I'm just wondering if setting the size limits its potential in any way. 

For example, if I set the target to 3GB, could that prevent me from having a much better quality video that's only slightly bigger than the requested output (say, 3.25GB)?

The Scribbling Man said:
Does anyone know how much of a difference it makes to give MeGUI a target file size, compared to just selecting "I don't care" and seeing what it comes out with using the rest of the settings?

Nobody can tell you that, because it depends on the video.  What do you mean by "using the rest of the settings"?

The Scribbling Man said:
I'm just wondering if setting the size limits its potential in any way.

It limits the bitrate that can be allocated to the video.  Whether this limits the "potential" of the video, by which I assume you mean the quality, depends on the video.

Back
Top Bottom