If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

My Year with Hitch
I've decided to try and watch all of Alfred Hitchcock's feature films chronologically, one per week, in 2018.

I'll be using this book as a guide:

A Year of Hitchcock: 52 Weeks with the Master of Suspense

I've switched a couple of films around (according to other sources, some of their chronology appears to be wrong) and I'm included ones they miss out. Here's what I've come up with:

[font=Arial Black][size=small]1.1 - 1.7: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]The Pleasure Garden[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]1.8 - 1.14: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]1.5 - 1.21: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Downhill[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]1.22 - 1.28: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Easy Virtue[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]1.29 - 2.4: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]The Ring[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]2.5 - 2.11: [/size][/font][size=small][font=Arial]The Farmer's Wife[/font][/size]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]2.12 - 2.18: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Champagne[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]2.19 - 2.25: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]The Manxman[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]2.26 - 3.4: [/size][/font][size=small][font=Arial Black]Blackmail (BONUS: Blackmail - silent version)[/font][/size]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]3.5 - 3.11: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Juno and the Paycock[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]3.12 - 3.18: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Murder![/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]3.19 - 3.25: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]The Skin Game[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]3.26 - 4.1: [/size][/font][size=small][font=Arial]Rich and Strange[/font][/size]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]4.2 - 4.8: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Number Seventeen[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]4.9 - 4.15: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Waltzes from Vienna[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]4.16 - 4.22: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]The Man Who Knew Too Much[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]4.23 - 4.29: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]The 39 Steps[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]4.30 - 5.6: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Secret Agent[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]5.7 - 5.13: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Sabotage[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]5.14 - 5.20: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Young and Innocent[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]5.21 - 5.27: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]The Lady Vanishes[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]5.28 - 6.3: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Jamaica Inn[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]6.4 - 6.10: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Rebecca[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]6.11 - 6.17: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Foreign Correspondent[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]6.18 - 6.24: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Mr. & Mrs. Smith[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]6.25 - 7.1: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Suspicion[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]7.2 - 7.8: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Saboteur[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]7.9 - 7.15: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Shadow of a Doubt[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]7.16 - 7.22: [/size][/font][size=small][font=Arial Black]Lifeboat (BONUS: Bon Voyage & Aventure Malgache)[/font][/size]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]7.23 - 7.29: [/size][/font][size=small][font=Arial Black]Spellbound (BONUS: German Concentration Camps Factual Survey)[/font][/size]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]7.30 - 8.5: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Notorious[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]8.6 - 8.12: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]The Paradine Case[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]8.13 - 8.19: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Rope[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]8.20 - 8.26: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Under Capricorn[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]8.27 - 9.2: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Stage Fright[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]9.3 - 9.9: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Strangers on a Train[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]9.10 - 9.16: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]I Confess[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]9.17 - 9.23: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Dial M for Murder[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]9.24 - 9.30: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Rear Window[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]10.1 - 10.7: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]To Catch a Thief[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]10.8 - 10.14: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]The Trouble with Harry[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]10.15 - 10.21: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]The Man Who Knew Too Much[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]10.22 - 10.28: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]The Wrong Man[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]10.29 - 11.4: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Vertigo[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]11.5 - 11.11: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]North by Northwest[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]11.12 - 11.18: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Psycho[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]11.19 - 11.25: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]The Birds[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]11.26 - 12.2: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Marnie[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]12.3 - 12.9: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Torn Curtain[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]12.10 - 12.16: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Topaz[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]12.17 - 12.23: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Frenzy[/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=small]12.24 - 12.30: [/size][/font][font=Arial Black][size=small]Family Plot[/size][/font]

I hope to update this thread with a brief review after I've seen each one. I'm also trying to find the best sources for these films (blu-ray if available; high-quality DVD if not).

If anyone else is interested in attempting this, feel free to post here too. Also, if you have suggestions for a better order, or know of a particularly good version of any of these films (especially the silent ones - seems there are a lot of dubious Public Domain DVDs out there), let me know.

Cheers.
It's not the years, it's the mileage.
I'm writing a book! Check out my progress at Good Morning, Page
Awesome idea! You should check out letterboxd.com to keep a diary of this. Here's my ranking of Hitchcock's films (what I've seen). Looking forward to reading your reviews.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this forum post do not represent the views of Fanedit.org or the Administrators. 
Thanks. I'll check it out.

I'm hoping that I can commit to writing reviews, as I've enjoyed keeping up-to-date with both the reviews thread and the 1001 chronological movies thread here.
Blackmail was available as a Silent, then later with sound.
Both are interesting.
The Ring came with a score I did not care much for, but I found another version I preferred.
Unfortunately, the second version suffered inferior video.  It was a different framerate, so the score was 4-5 minutes shorter.
I extracted the audio file. modified the length using Audacity, then remuxed.
Just an idea.  The Silents frequently have alternative scores.

I look forward to this.
You might want to rethink doing these all within a year.
You may want to space them out farther apart to avoid fatigue, or viewing this as homework.
Good idea, nevertheless.  Many members will look in on this.
(12-18-2017, 05:59 PM)Vultural Wrote: Blackmail was available as a Silent, then later with sound.
Both are interesting.
The Ring came with a score I did not care much for, but I found another version I preferred.
Unfortunately, the second version suffered inferior video.  It was a different framerate, so the score was 4-5 minutes shorter.
I extracted the audio file. modified the length using Audacity, then remuxed.
Just an idea.  The Silents frequently have alternative scores.

I look forward to this.
You might want to rethink doing these all within a year.
You may want to space them out farther apart to avoid fatigue, or viewing this as homework.
Good idea, nevertheless.  Many members will look in on this.

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't have the silent 'Blackmail', but will look into that. 

The version of 'The Ring' I'll be watching is from this set:

Alfred Hitchcock Boxed Set

It's supposed to be one of the better copies. When I review the films, I plan on commenting on the version I watch - whether DVD, Blu-ray or streaming - as well.

I think I'll be able to keep to the one-a-week plan, more of less (excluding vacations, when I'll have to catch up). Honestly, keeping this thread updated with reviews is more of a challenge for me at the moment, I'm thinking.

I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully others will enjoy the process too.

Cheers.
So, I'm less than a week away from starting this project and I've managed to find almost all of the films either on DVD, blu-ray or streaming. The only ones I'm having issues with are the very first ('Pleasure Garden') and the silent version of 'Blackmail'. There's a version of 'Pleasure Garden' on archive.org, but it has burned in Chinese? subtitles. If anyone knows of a clean version, please let me know.

I can't seem to find a Region 1 DVD for the silent version of 'Blackmail'. I don't have a region-free DVD player, and I don't really want to buy one just for this one film. Is it possible to convert Region 2 to Region 1 easily? If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to respond below.

Cheers.
Fake news, low effort. Not even watching Hitch's lost films. Sad. Wink
Tongue

Oh yeah, forgot to add - if anyone has a copy of 'The Mountain Eagle' (1926), I'd be interested in seeing it. As would the BFI.  Wink
Looks like Amazon Germany has the silent version of 'Blackmail':

Erpressung

I think I'll order it and try my luck at conversion. Suggestions for suitable software greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year to all.
Awesome idea. I probably won't attempt this with you, but there are definitely Hitchcock movies I'd like to see in the new year (Lifeboat, for one).

FYI, if you happen to be a reader, I'd recommend reading the book of Rebecca before seeing Hitchcock's adaptation. The movie is good, but the book is fantastic, and due to the nature of Hollywood at the time, there are elements of the plot that get watered down in the film.

Also, there's another silent movie called A Cottage on Dartmoor, which shares similarities to The Lodger. I personally prefer the former, but would recommend checking it out either way. It has some of the best direction I've seen in a silent movie in terms of how it tells the story.
"I live in the Tower of Flints. I am the death-owl."

COMPLETED: IFDB
ITW: The Ledzeppership of The Rings ~ TMWKTM (1956)
IDEAS: Thread ~ B+ Movie Series ~ Anatomy of a Shrinking Man ~ Avatar: TLA (TV-Movie Project)