• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

60 FPS Encoding Soap Opera Effect

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Been looking at this with interest

http://www.spirton.com/convert-videos-to-60fps/

I was under the impression this effect couldn't be achieved unless the original source material was filmed at a higher frame rate, has anyone had any experience with 60fps encoding? The above link has a short clip from Sons of Anarchy re-encoded to 60 FPs giving it the 'soap opera effect' from a regular 24fps file.  I'm, not sure I even like the effect but it would be interesting to use it on a film to TV format conversion. Keen to hear any info/thoughts on this from forum members.

Would also like to know if its possible to do this in handbrake or Vegas, i know you can encode at that framerate but I'm guessing you need to alter some other settings to achieve the effect.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Soap Opera effect doesn't necessarily correlate with the source material's frame rate.

The effect is created when a high Hz television creates it's own "blend" frame between each of the other 24 frames.  This intermediate frame is engineered to reduce motion blur between the frames its sandwiched between.  

Our eyes are used to the natural motion blur that is created on film that is run at 24 FPS.  When this motion blur is reduced, it begins to look like video - which can capture at such a high speed as to reduce motion blur at the source.

Which is to say, motion blur reduction (the Soap Opera effect) can be faked by inserting frames between the frames that are engineered to reduce motion blur, or, it can be attained by filming (usually on video) at a source at a high enough speed that reduces motion blur to begin with.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I read up on how it adds custom frames to smooth the motion out, I gave the guide a go earlier, followed it to the letter but I get an avisynth wrapper error when I load the source video whatever I use...

So I'm guessing this technique would work well for producing smooth slow motion video as well theoretically from something that originally was filmed at 24fps

Top Bottom