• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Myers Case (2020)

This is a fanedit by an insanely completely psychotic faneditor named Maniac. I feel like I can mention it because it's an update of his fanedit listed here called Devil's Eyes. Maniac has an intuitive feel for what is twisted and disturbing. Many of his edits aren't for everyone.

This is a 2 in 1 edit of the two Rob Zombie Halloween movies but seems more II than I. It's a smooth edit with excellent segues back and forth presenting most of the events of I as black and white flashbacks.

We loved that he changed some of the score to increase the chill factor. We did not like that he cut most of the Nights in White Satin scenes.

All in all it's a very good edit accomplishing what it sets out to do..scaring the piss out of you.

A solid 4 out of 5. Not entirely original but it rocks!

Zagadka

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ArtisDead said:
an insanely completely psychotic faneditor named Maniac. Maniac has an intuitive feel for what is twisted and disturbing. Many of his edits aren't for everyone.

Oh, yeah - he's got a very specific style for dark cinema. I love it. I recommend his latest works - Hannibal fanedits (made of NBC TV Series with Mads Mikkelsen) and Jigsaw: A History of Desperation (made out of Saw saga).

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Muppet Christmas Carol
4xcOAov.gif

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zagadka said:
ArtisDead said:
an insanely completely psychotic faneditor named Maniac. Maniac has an intuitive feel for what is twisted and disturbing. Many of his edits aren't for everyone.

Oh, yeah - he's got a very specific style for dark cinema. I love it. I recommend his latest works - Hannibal fanedits (made of NBC TV Series with Mads Mikkelsen) and Jigsaw: A History of Desperation (made out of Saw saga).

Oh yeah! I love it too. That's why I have as many of his edits as I do any other editor. The Mercedes Killer and The Firefly Clan are as twisted as twisted gets. I'm of the opinion that he may need counseling. ??

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am not into Christmas movies. There are so many that come out every year, ranging mostly from groan-inducing schmaltz to tropey retreads of ideas from previous kids' films. However, my family was insistent on watching some...

The Christmas Chronicles (2018)
Yes, all that^. But yes, Kurt Russell is awesome. More here.

Happiest Season (2020)
At least it was about something. A slight tweak on the "couple visits one's family and it's super awkward" holiday film trope. More here.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
Happiest Season (2020)
At least it was about something. A slight tweak on the "couple visits one's family and it's super awkward" holiday film trope. More here.

A decent romcom script.  A fantastic comedic supporting cast.  Two lead actresses with zero comedic timing.  And some very flat directing.  Wanted to like it but in the end very disappointing.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
mnkykungfu said:
Happiest Season (2020)

A decent romcom script.  A fantastic comedic supporting cast.  Two lead actresses with zero comedic timing.  And some very flat directing.  Wanted to like it but in the end very disappointing.

Yeah, I really don't see what people see in Kristen Stewart where they keep praising her.  The only role she can seemingly do is the shy, quite, loner and even then she doesn't always hit the mark.  I enjoyed the movie more than you, but I agree the supporting cast is what makes this movie worth a view.  Dan Levy and Aubrey Plaza help to save a pedestrian movie (one we've seen countless times just with a twist) and make it worth a watch IMO.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since the house is under quarantine, I'm getting a lot more movies watched lately--gotta find a silver lining. Also, we are doing ok, pretty much cold/flu symptoms so the family is fortunate. I'm isolating as much as possible as I seem to be the only one to not catch it yet. I'm just happy the early Christmas/Birthday gift to ourselves stuff showed up and I went ahead and installed it (TCL 55" 4K, Samsung Q70T, and associated mounts), so I can watch whatever I want in exile. So, without further ado.

Ava (2020). Meh. It seemed mostly an excuse to string together a bunch of fight scenes. The plot is so thin as to be nearly non-existent. I'm not sure why it's trending so high on Netflix except for lots of people in my boat looking for more stuff to watch.

Expelled From Paradise (2014). A sort of post apocalyptic cyberpunk anime. A bit of the expected adolescent concept of anatomy, but easily ignored after the first scene. Once past that it develops into a deeper examination of society & privilege than you would expect. Plus the expected powered robot battle sequences. It was worth the watch in the end.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Tokyo Gore Police last night. There's elements of Robocop, hints of Videodrome and Evil Dead, but overall it's unlike anything I've ever seen. It's such an amazing, fucked up movie, I love it but I don't think I could ever comfortably recommend it to anyone. I started falling asleep near the end, so maybe I should rewatch the last 20 or so minutes, though I peg it as a movie where missing the ending won't impact the experience much.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There Will Be Blood (2007) Not quite what I was expecting. It's based on an Upton Sinclair novel, which is in turn based on an LA-area oil baron that helped set off the California oil boom. From the title you are expecting some major conflict(s) to drive the story, and they set up the two major characters to do that with...then really does nothing with it. Yeah, there's a couple of confrontations, but it feels like a missed opportunity. Instead, the movie kind of meanders along with the main character becoming a more obvious jerk as it goes along. Then it abruptly ends. "I'm finished" he says, then "The End" um...wut?  Kind of disappointing. It looks like there was a good story in there trying to get out.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Racerx1969 said:
There Will Be Blood (2007) Not quite what I was expecting. It's based on an Upton Sinclair novel, which is in turn based on an LA-area oil baron that helped set off the California oil boom. From the title you are expecting some major conflict(s) to drive the story, and they set up the two major characters to do that with...then really does nothing with it. Yeah, there's a couple of confrontations, but it feels like a missed opportunity. Instead, the movie kind of meanders along with the main character becoming a more obvious jerk as it goes along. Then it abruptly ends. "I'm finished" he says, then "The End" um...wut?  Kind of disappointing. It looks like there was a good story in there trying to get out.

I love the movie and think it works just fine as a surface level story. But really it’s a parable and an amazing one at that. In my opinion it beats Citizen Kane at its own game and is one of the best movies of all time. Sorry you didn’t enjoy it as much.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hymie said:
bionicbob said:
mnkykungfu said:
Happiest Season (2020)

Yeah, I really don't see what people see in Kristen Stewart where they keep praising her.  The only role she can seemingly do is the shy, quite, loner and even then she doesn't always hit the mark.  I enjoyed the movie more than you, but I agree the supporting cast is what makes this movie worth a view.  Dan Levy and Aubrey Plaza help to save a pedestrian movie (one we've seen countless times just with a twist) and make it worth a watch IMO.

^That. I've been pleased to find out I'm not the only one who wanted....
Aubrey Plaza to wind up with Kristen Stewart instead. Such better chemistry, and the movie would've been more interesting.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched the Hulu Christmas lesbian movie, it was excellent, don't have much else to say.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Never use this thread but I just watched this the other night for the first time and wanted to chime in:

Heat is the most badass movie ever made.

That is all.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Myth of Fingerprints (1997)
A movie for American Thanksgiving. Roy Scheider at his most irascible. Baby Noah Wylie. A decent indie, though inevitably too pretentious for some. Details here.

Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)
One of those things that comes on with the right people around and you all just tacitly agree not to change the channel. Not something I'd intentionally watch, as it's exactly what you think: a big dumb excuse for some cheap laughs. More here.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The King (2019) I quite enjoyed this one. A new retelling of Henry V, and it worked. They even got Agnicourt pretty much right--specifically calling out their advantage with the longbowmen and using the swampy conditions. They missed out on explicitly mentioning the funnel the forest formed that limited the numerical advantage of the French...but the location did show that.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sing Street (2016)

I have ended up watching this film 3 times in the past week. For the past year or so my dad had nagged me to watch this god damn film but I never gave it a chance because I thought it looked like a pile of shit. But eventually I gave it a shot and just sat through it. On a first viewing I thought it was just alright nothing special but my dad kept repeating himself saying "You'll like it the more you watch it". So yesterday I gave it another watch.

OMG this film is fantastic! The soundtrack is brilliant especially "Riddle Of The Model". I loved the film so much that I gave it another watch today while I was waiting for my render to finish and I haven't stopped singing that bloody chorus from "Riddle Of The Model".

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Old Guard (2020) An action film with an unusual premise. The immortality premise provides a bit of an interesting backdrop and motivation for the main characters. Worth the watch for when in a simple action film shoot-em-up mood.

6 Underground (2019) Yep, this is a Michael Bay movie. Jumps straight into a hyper-destructive car chase and basically sets the tone for the movie. A somewhat interesting premise for the team of "heroes" though the back story and motivations are a bit thin--but who cares? It's a simple action flick. A fun warp speed ride for when you're in to mood for a classic action film.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[quote="It']
Sing Street (2016)
OMG this film is fantastic!
[/quote]

^Welcome! You have finally seen the light.

The Impossible (2012)
I like J.A. Bayona's style. Some people don't. They find his films to go for the drama in too big and obvious of a way. I get it, but I love Spielberg, so I don't care. I'm not pretentious, I WANT the feels, give 'em to me. This film will give you the feels. Proper criticism here.

What's Up, Tiger Lily? (1966)
Technically Woody Allen's first film in the director's chair, I watched this not because I love him, but because I love wacky cult films and this one fits the bill. I actually think the original film would be entertaining all on it's own, but Allen's recontextualizing of this Japanese exploitation movie interested me enough to submit a full write up for the site: https://nottheacademy.com/retro-rev...960s-farce-so-ridiculous-youve-gotta-love-it/

Top Bottom