If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)
The Red Turtle
The lack of dialogue makes it meditative and universal, sure, but emotional investment isn't as strong as it could have been, and there's a scene early on that I found rather disagreeable. Still, a beautiful film, a fable, and while the story is a little shallow and there isn't much of a lesson to learn, it's short and isn't boring, and I bet I would have gotten more out of it at a younger age, so I think my daughter will like it in a few years.

Studio Ghibli helped with animation but it's not anime, I think it's technically Dutch? Idk. Characters look kinda like Tin Tin (I think the style is French, called ligne claire).
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// IdeasIdea Central //
(07-08-2020, 09:15 PM)addiesin Wrote: Characters look kinda like Tin Tin (I think the style is French, called ligne claire).

Damn it again! It's "Tintin"! One word, no unusual capitalization! You will will exercise punishment protocol nine alpha! Angry  Wink

(Also, Tintin is Belgian.)
Last night I rewatched Godzilla (1998) and it still holds up. Putting aside the meta-franchise with its extended canon and mythology this film in isolation is a goofy romp which never fails to bring a smile to my face. Some people refer to it as GINO but I prefer GIMO:

Great
In
My
Opinion
(07-09-2020, 01:58 AM)Gaith Wrote:
(07-08-2020, 09:15 PM)addiesin Wrote: Characters look kinda like Tin Tin (I think the style is French, called ligne claire).

Damn it again! It's "Tintin"! One word, no unusual capitalization! You will will exercise punishment protocol nine alpha! Angry  Wink

(Also, Tintin is Belgian.)

Surely despite your outburst you knew who I was talking about. You're right, it's Belgian. Why the French name for the style then, I wonder.
// IdeasIdea Central //
(07-09-2020, 07:55 AM)addiesin Wrote: You're right, it's Belgian. Why the French name for the style then, I wonder.

Hergé was one of the 40% or so of Belgians whose native language is French.

And I also know what people mean when they say "Star Track," but you can be sure I stand ready to correct them, too. Wink
(07-09-2020, 01:30 PM)Gaith Wrote: And I also know what people mean when they say "Star Track," but you can be sure I stand ready to correct them, too. Wink

Do what you want, I'm going to play some pokie man.
// IdeasIdea Central //
[+] 1 user Likes addiesin's post
^ Disrespect that franchise all you like; I have no objection to that. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Gaith's post
^[Image: roa5t5jvca121.png]
Mega Man is best game.
[+] 4 users Like jrWHAG42's post
(07-09-2020, 02:22 AM)Malthus Wrote: Last night I rewatched Godzilla (1998) and it still holds up. 

Man, I remember being so stoked for that film.  The Taco Bell PR campaign leading up to it was amazing.  And about 15 minutes into the film, my friends and I all looked at each other and realized "Oh nooo.... this is going to be a shitfest, isn't it?"   Rolleyes

For 4th of July, aside from watching TheCuddlyNinja's lndependence Day fanedit (which is a lean, mean machine), I also watched:
The Crossing (2000)
A pretty good TV movie starring Jeff Daniels about the moment when the US almost lost the Revolutionary War.  Solid viewing.  More: https://letterboxd.com/film/the-crossing/
Webmaster for www.nottheacademy.com, Movie Articles, Lists, and Reviews...Come join us!