• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last night I rewatched Godzilla (1998) and it still holds up. Putting aside the meta-franchise with its extended canon and mythology this film in isolation is a goofy romp which never fails to bring a smile to my face. Some people refer to it as GINO but I prefer GIMO:

Great
In
My
Opinion

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
You're right, it's Belgian. Why the French name for the style then, I wonder.

Hergé was one of the 40% or so of Belgians whose native language is French.

And I also know what people mean when they say "Star Track," but you can be sure I stand ready to correct them, too. ;)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
And I also know what people mean when they say "Star Track," but you can be sure I stand ready to correct them, too. ;)

Do what you want, I'm going to play some pokie man.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Disrespect that franchise all you like; I have no objection to that. ;)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^
roa5t5jvca121.png

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
Last night I rewatched Godzilla (1998) and it still holds up. 

Man, I remember being so stoked for that film.  The Taco Bell PR campaign leading up to it was amazing.  And about 15 minutes into the film, my friends and I all looked at each other and realized "Oh nooo.... this is going to be a shitfest, isn't it?"   :rolleyes:

For 4th of July, aside from watching TheCuddlyNinja's lndependence Day fanedit (which is a lean, mean machine), I also watched:
The Crossing (2000)
A pretty good TV movie starring Jeff Daniels about the moment when the US almost lost the Revolutionary War.  Solid viewing.  More: https://letterboxd.com/film/the-crossing/

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally got around to watching John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum, a sequel which depends more on you knowing the universe than the average MCU film.  So best to review it in context.

John Wick 1- a really tight, lean actioner that incorporates far more judo than the average Western action film.  Still, I don't get the unhinged adoration critics heaped on this film.  It's like they've never seen a good lower budget action film before.  Wait, have they never seen a good lower-budget action film before??  8/10

John Wick 2- storywise, starts incredibly dumb.  In principal, John is still fighting because he loves his car.  Which he willfully mangles in the first 5 minutes.  So there's that excuse gone.  The action is expanded from the first film, but to such a level that it starts to lose realism and feel more like a videogame at points.  The story actually makes a comeback and becomes a strong point by expanding on the hidden world of assassins in a pretty compelling way.  6/10

John Wick 3- turns that hidden world of assassin's thing into a mindnumbing trudge through bureaucracy.  Turns up the action past any point of realism to compete ridiculousness.  I have found that critics generally dislike action, unless it's exceedingly over-the-top and has some pedigree behind it.  (See: Hero, Fury Road, Mission Impossible films).  JW3 fits the bill, but I found it a letdown.  4/10  Full thoughts: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/john-wick-chapter-3-parabellum/

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Continuing my month of patriotic watches (for the US): Michael Moore's spiritual sequel to Fahrenheit 9/11:
Fahrenheit 11/9 (2018)
For any non-Stateys, this is a reference to the election on November 9th.  This is not actually a big character attack on Trump though, those are just bookends.  It's really a pretty ambitious follow-up to most of the issues in Moore's previous docs, which kind of sort of comes together in a not entirely ineloquent final thesis statement.  You don't need to be into politics to watch.  More thoughts: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/fahrenheit-11-9/

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well it finally happened, I watched A Good Day To Die Hard (2013). It is without question the worst Die Hard movie.
Surprisingly though I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. Three cheers for diminished expectations!

Pros
  • Stronger villain than 4.0
  • Several impressive set pieces
  • Surprisingly strong third act
  • A nice Gruber homage
Cons
  • Not enough John McClane
  • Some poor writing/characterization
  • Too many peripheral characters
Cons 2: Cons Harder
  • Horrible film grain effect throughout
  • Horrible filtered colours
  • Overused lens flare (what is this Star Trek (2009)?)
  • Overly dark/poorly lit sequences
Cons with a Vengeance
  • A times it felt more like an episode of 24
  • Its filmed in Budapest and I kept getting déjà vu as lots of the locations have featured in other action movies.
With all that said I was pleased to discover there were 14 minutes of deleted scenes (which are mostly good) and the disc features also an extended cut with a further 6 minutes of additional footage. This extended cut removes 3 minutes of the theatrical cut so technically its a net increase of 3 minutes. So theres roughly 20 minutes of footage that could be reinstated and created The Longest Day To Die Hard.

I'm not sure i'm ready to give that a go but someday, maybe...

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^You are more charitable than I to that piece of dreck.  I have never willingly walked out of a movie in my life, but I considered it hard with that one.  The father/son aspect is so forced and Jai Courtney is so bad, I doubt any cuts could make the film watchable.  But if you ever make an edit, I'll be hopeful, sir.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched Mr. Right. Anna Kendrick starts off pretty insufferable but once Sam Rockwell shows up it's more fun and by the end I was really into it. Soft recommendation.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Amazon Prime just added Terminator: Dark Fate so I figured I'd watch Terminator: Genisys first since I still hadn't seen it yet. I was expecting a sequel but this was really just a remake from an alternate timeline. While I liked the nods to the original this one just didn't do it for me.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Now that the dust has settled on Dark Fate, I recently ran a poll on my other forum to determine the best post-T2 Terminator film. Given that seemingly all the major critical voices were calling Dark Fate the clear winner last fall, I was pleasantly surprised to see Rise of the Machines not only dominate the vote, more than doubling Dark Fate's take, but even eke out an overall majority! It may have taken a while, but justice is served at last. :D

71h.jpg

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dude: no.  Just...no.  Dark Fate is 127x better than T-3.  No inflatable boob jokes.  No contrived, flat romance.  No constant references to T2 dialogue.  It's a really good movie.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last night I watched Blood Machines (2019) and while there is a lot that I loved about this short grindhouse space opera its lack of a cohesive narrative undermines it. Recommended for fans of Lexx or French sci-fi.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
^ Now that the dust has settled on Dark Fate, I recently ran a poll on my other forum to determine the best post-T2 Terminator film. Given that seemingly all the major critical voices were calling Dark Fate the clear winner last fall, I was pleasantly surprised to see Rise of the Machines not only dominate the vote, more than doubling Dark Fate's take, but even eke out an overall majority! It may have taken a while, but justice is served at last. :D

71h.jpg

I haven't watched Dark Fate yet, will probably watch it tonight, but out of the other three post-T2 I'd say that Rise Of The Machines is the clear winner in terms of which is the better film.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, I have now watch Terminator: Dark Fate. I'm going to agree that Rise Of The Machines was a better movie. Dark Fate was basically Halloween (2018). It was a sequel that ignored everything that happened after the first film* and was just an excuse to try and reboot the franchise while trying to please fans of said original by connecting it to the original film and having members of the original star in the new film. Unlike Halloween (2018) Dark Fate did absolutely nothing for me.

Yes, they show footage of Sarah Connor from T2 but then they go ahead and screw with the timeline by having Arnie kill John Connor when the whole point of him being in T2 was to protect him. And the John that Arnie killed was much younger than the John that was in T2. Which means T2 never happened because John wasn't alive by that point.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't seen Dark Fate yet but if it is better than T3, it'll be the first film in the franchise to not be the "worst" so far IMO: T1>T2>T3>TS>TG

Top Bottom