• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
asterixsmeagol said:
I saw Stalingrad in IMAX with one other person in the theater. It was a truly strange experience.
That must've been!  Please tell me it wasn't the dubbed version?
No, it was in Russian and German with English subtitles.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Deadwood - The Movie (2019)
People who didn't watch the show could watch this and get a good taste of it, but then you'd just want more and the ending would already be ruined.  So don't do that, just watch from S1.  For fans, this may not blow anyone away, but it's amazing it got made at all, and it finally brings closure to the story.  Full review: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/deadwood-the-movie/

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Paths of Glory (1957)
Man, was this really made in '57 when Kubrick was only 28?  Only his fourth feature, and it's a classic (and I'm not a Kubrick worshipper).  Honestly a better courtroom drama than A Few Good Men, and Kirk Douglas really couldn't handle the truth.  Full review: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/paths-of-glory/

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
47 Meters Down (2017)

Average acting but the movie itself is way better than all the reviews I read said about it.
The special effects goes from good to average (but overall it works).
I always like movies with the concept of people being stuck and trying to get away so I know I'm biased.
Not as good as The Shallows, but not bad in my opinion.

Oculus (The Mirror - 2013)

Pretty much the opposite from 47 Meters Down: I heard so many good reviews about this movie that it was a bit of a letdown.
In this one the acting is quite solid (more Katee Sackhoff is always good). I thought the movie's own rules are not 100% clear and because of that it was less scary to me than it could have. They tried to edit constant flashback scenes in a clever way but in the end it felt messy to me and sometimes broke the tension. Maybe a good candidate for a fanedit (it's just that I'm not a fan enough to do it myself, lol).

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warcraft (2016)
This movie felt like it was conflicted with its own direction. Is it a movie about characters and their development, or just a cgi fodder fest? It starts out with indications of the first, but then decides to remove anything worth caring about as the final act starts. Ideas that are introduced are never fleshed out or explained. The acting seems good and then modern quips pull this almost into the realm of the D&D movie. I won't be returning to this one. 4/10

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

This whimsical adventure about a family's new home and their extraordinary neighbor is infectiously charming. If a comforting hug were a movie this would be it. 5/5

Trez75

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lockdown mood.......

Empire Strikes Back - Harmy's Despecialized Edition

The despecialized versions are the best preservation work I saw so far. Recommend them to any Star Wars fan.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kramer vs Kramer (1979)
1979...Alien, Apocalypse Now, The Muppet Movie, The Warriors, The Jerk, Caligula!  And the film that swept the Oscars: Kramer vs Kramer.  Watching it now, does it live up to that amazing record, shutting out those other films?  I think you can guess the answer to that, but full review here: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/kramer-vs-kramer/

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having read various threads on here linked to the Alien franchise I asked my partner if she fancied rewatching the films in order.

Alien​​​​​- Directors Cut (1979)

From strobing lights and blaring sirens to the phallic horror of H R Giger's titular Alien everything about this film aims to unsettle it's audience. Claustrophobic paranoid space horror at its finest. Well, until I watch Aliens tomorrow that is.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Somewhere (2010)
Swap Tokyo for L.A., Bill Murray for Stephen Dorff, Scarlett Johansson for Elle Fanning, and you've got Copolla's revisit of the ennui of the detached Hollywood actor.  A hipper, more skateboard-indie but in the end less successful investigation.  Still, this is better than the comparisons would suggest... https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/somewhere/

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinister (2012)
I've heard about a lot of supposedly "great" horror films over the past couple years that have all been disappointing.  Whatever they do right, there's always a point when there's just no logic or explanation for the events in the film.  I think that's why I tend to prefer supernatural horror, where not knowing what is possible and not explaining everything is actually part of the terror.  Add to that a deep character study?  Sold.  Full review: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/sinister/

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2013)
Another alternative Father's Day flick, I sat down to force myself to watch this after having it for years (the animation style is such a turnoff for me) and then ended up writing a dissertation about the Japanese elements of the story and the cultural symbolism that probably 90% of viewers didn't even realize was there.  A tricky watch.  https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/the-tale-of-the-princess-kaguya/

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alien 3 (1992)

The third entry in the alien franchise is low tech Kafka-esque nightmare littered with religious symbolism. Bleak and dirty this, much like the redesigned beast, is not the Alien you've seen before. A worthy entry in the trilogy. 4/5

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
Alien 3 (1992)

The third entry in the alien franchise is low tech Kafka-esque nightmare littered with religious symbolism. Bleak and dirty this, much like the redesigned beast, is not the Alien you've seen before. A worthy entry in the trilogy. 4/5

I take it you watched the theatrical edition? The Assembly Cut, while a little rougher, has a lot of great content that was cut from the original. If you haven't already seen it, you should check it out!

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Foreign Correspondent (1940)
This is the very definition of a dated film.  From the acting style to the sets to the dialogue, every element was actively working to prevent me from getting invested in the story and forgetting I was watching a film.  I reckon it would've been a real crowd-pleaser in the early 40's though.  https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/foreign-correspondent/

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Siliconmaster said:
I take it you watched the theatrical edition? The Assembly Cut, while a little rougher, has a lot of great content that was cut from the original. If you haven't already seen it, you should check it out!

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll try to track down a copy.

Top Bottom