• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched a few films that deal with moms for Mother's Day:

Terms of Endearment (1983)
I was definitely not the target audience for this movie.  It has good elements.  Sweeping the '84 Oscars level?  Uhhh....
Full review: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/terms-of-endearment/

Mother (1996)
A massive comedown from Defending Your Life.  Was this good at the time?  Well, it hasn't aged well.  Full review: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/mother-1996/

The Grifters (1990)
2/3s of a great movie.  Full review: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/the-grifters/

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched Blade Runner: The Final Cut for the first time and was pretty blown away by it. I'd only seen the theatrical cut before this, so it was wonderful to experience it without Ford's bored droning monologues over everything. I'll need to give the fanedit that fixes up certain visual elements a watch at some point (drawing a blank on the name right now)

Also checked out Hearts of Darkness and was bowled over by the insanity of that production, I'm genuinely surprised they even finished Apocalypse Now, let alone making it as good as it was.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yesterday, courtesy of Disney+, my partner and I took a trip down memory lane and watched two films we loved from our respective childhoods. She chose Turner & Hooch and I chose The Rocketeer.

Turner & Hooch (1989) Tom Hanks really showcases his comedy chops in this engaging interspecies buddy movie which has aged surprisingly well and still manages to deliver. 4/5

The Rocketeer (1991) Jet packs, mobsters and Nazis abound in this Indiana Jones esque romp. Some of the effects may look dated but Timothy Dalton's scenery chewing villain makes up for that. 4/5

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
The Rocketeer (1991) Jet packs, mobsters and Nazis abound in this Indiana Jones esque romp. Some of the effects may look dated but Timothy Dalton's scenery chewing villain makes up for that. 4/5

And he goes great with a gum-chewing hero!

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ophelia (2018)

This reminded me of Maleficent. Not as turgid as that movie, perhaps, but just as insipid.

5/10

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
Yesterday, courtesy of Disney+, my partner and I took a trip down memory lane and watched two films we loved from our respective childhoods. She chose Turner & Hooch and I chose The Rocketeer.

Love both those movies!  Next up: K-9 and Sky Captain!

It's Memorial Day weekend in the US, so I've been diving in to some of the most well-known or critically-praised war films.

The Deer Hunter (1978)
2/3 boring and aimless following some of the most dislikable 'Muricans ever.  1/3 intense, compelling, and incredibly ignorant and racist.
Full review: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/the-deer-hunter/

MacArthur (1977)
Far better than it has any right to be, given its budget.  Full review: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/macarthur/

The Messenger (2009)
The movie to watch if you really want to understand who US soldiers are.  The most honest and accurate portrayal I've seen, and a very moving film.  Full review:  https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/the-messenger/

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Megamind (2010)

Like the bastard child of Mars Attacks and The Incredibles Megamind is a hugely underrated CGI superhero romp which successfully delivers something genuinely different.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Brides of Dracula (1960)
The first sequel in Hammer Studio's "Dracula Cinematic Universe" doesn't actually feature the Count himself but Peter Cushing returns as Dr Van Helsing. David Peel is no replacement for Christopher Lee but the beautiful French actress Yvonne Monlaur makes a very appealing heroine. The makeup FX when Van Helsing throws Holy-Water in the face of a Vampire is suitably gross.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
More Memorial Day madness.  

Restrepo (2010)
A documentary that embeds you with US Army infantry in all their homoerotic frat bro glory.  What passes for attempts at diplomacy here are cringeworthy.  Watch as the entire Fishing & Outdoors section of Wal-Mart is unleashed on the Afghani people.  Full review: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/restrepo/

The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
Brits are so good at playing Americans these days, it's shocking to see a film where they didn't even bother trying.  This film could've used a whole lot more for Janet Leigh to do, among other shortcomings.  Full review: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/the-manchurian-candidate/

Gallipoli (1981)
I would've enjoyed this a lot more if it were sold as "Boys Will Be Boys" or "Bros Before Hoes", etc.  4/5 of the film is a bromance between Mel Gibson and Mark Lee.  This part has charisma.  At one point, they accidentally fight in a war.  Full review: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/gallipoli/

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My new Blu-ray player arrived from Best Buy and it's smaller than I expected. I'm used to my old busted PS3, but even that's considered the slim model and it's way bigger and heavier than this new player.

Not concerned about it, just surprised. Plugged it in, no updates needed, worked great on my UK region free MCU box set version of Spiderman Homecoming.

It had been a while since that one is not on Disney Plus. Man I enjoy this movie. Its editing and overall presentation and characters remind me of Scott Pilgrim, but more mainstream friendly.

Favorite part is a toss up between the big reveal when the door opens and we see who's inside, and the guy who recognizes Spiderman from YouTube and tells him to do a flip, his reaction makes me laugh every time.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q: What would you get if you crossed Big with Superman?
A: Shazam (2019)
Q: Is it any good?
A: Well as far as origin stories go it's pretty by the numbers but it supplies several good laughs and evokes the spirit of 80's childhood classics such as Home Alone and Ghostbusters so yeah, I'd say it's good.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Missing Link (2019)
The 1st act was good and had some comical moments, the 2nd act was ok, and the 3rd act was very lack luster and poor. Character growth and development was bland at best. Even if the story isn't the greatest, the animation is top notch here and there are moments when the stop animation is so smooth that you forget that's what you are watching. I give it a 6.5/10

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
28/05/2020 - The Exorcist "The Version Your've Never Seen Before" 2000 version. 

Not as scary as it was as an 11 year old in fact the most uncomfortable part of this movie is Regan's EEG scene - The new polished remaster does not have the same darkness & creepiness as my old banned VHS bootleg copy of a copy of copy of a copy of the geezer's copy down the pub version...the tracking lines and blurred focus on my old VHS seemed to add atmosphere to the movie. Still it's a good film as in its structure & craftmanship and real time portal into the early seventies. Fantastic performances from the ensemble cast and i will definitely watch it again one day - i just won't be hiding behind a pillow. I think the adult in me will enjoy the extras on the bluray a little more.

Below is the original trailer for the small minority of people who may not have seen it. The director's Cut trailer gives away too much as most modern trailers do.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw Stalingrad in IMAX with one other person in the theater. It was a truly strange experience.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011)
The original wasn't my favorite film. This one was a pleasant surprise. I liked the themes of it and it was paced a lot better. The ending also worked well and I find myself looking forward to Kung Fu Panda 3 now. 8/10

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Disturbia 2007

I'm in lockdown we're not allowed to go anywhere and have been at home for three months and as the family projectionist i think its time to show the family a guilty pleasure of mine, 2007 Disturbia ....look it's no Hitchcock's Rear Window but it's a fun ride albeit the ending is a bit of a disappointment... this film's about the journey, so switch of your brain, don't let the fact that the protagonist is named after a leafy cabbage put you off and have a watch and most of all don't get paranoid when the neighbours take out the bin's and it ain't even bin day 

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
I saw Stalingrad in IMAX with one other person in the theater. It was a truly strange experience.
That must've been!  Please tell me it wasn't the dubbed version?

DigModiFicaTion said:
Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011)
The original wasn't my favorite film. This one was a pleasant surprise. I liked the themes of it and it was paced a lot better. The ending also worked well and I find myself looking forward to Kung Fu Panda 3 now. 8/10
I was surprised to find how much I enjoyed this series.  The shorts on the dvds are almost all great, too.  They shockingly got pretty much all the big voice cast to come back for each one, even for just a few lines.  I've heard from Chinese people as well that they're shocked at how well it represents the spirit of Chinese culture compared to similar attempts by the actual Chinese film industry.  lol

Top Bottom