• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Unorthodox. A Jewish woman from Brooklyn escapes her persecution in Berlin. Self discovery and overcoming an extreme religion through music. What’s not to love!?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Darkest Hour (2017)
A second viewing didn't shift my opinion that this is merely adequate. The silly voice Gary Oldman has chosen for Churchill and his decision to play him perhaps too old and constantly shouting beneath layers of rubber, distracts from a potentially great performance. The dumbed-down dialogue and awkward exposition pandering to a broad audience is still an irritant, as is the overbearing, constant score. It passes the time well enough though.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Platform. It’s not subtle, nor does it have much new to say. It is, however, an ingenious concept. I’m just not a fan of this kind of genre film, the gore, etc. If you’re more of a fan of that sort of thing it might appeal to you more. But there’s no denying that this is the perfect time for this movie, heavy handed though it may be. Does anyone know where I can buy some toilet paper?

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yesterday I was able to finally watch Brian De Palma's Scarface.
It was awesome, but I do feel the final act slipped a bit (not including the ending because that was great.)

This film though is too long for what it is, I really wanna do an edit of this, however, many people already have. Maniac I remember has done an edit of this. And my dad also did a Scarface edit but he just never released it.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cars 2
It has a few funny moments and I like the 60's spy vibe, but there isn't any real moral to this story or anything to necessarily cheer about. Not really my favorite movie to watch with the littles. 6/10

Cars 3
The beginning of the movie is meh, but once they get to the Thomasville Speedway the message of this movie is pretty powerful. I also love the ending scene. One of the best ways they could have sent McQueen off (well they'll probably make another one some time down the road). One that the whole pit crew enjoys at our speedway. 8/10

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Underwater (2020)

An underwater "alien like" survival.
It's difficult to say anything else because the movie is just THAT, and nothing more.

(But I'm a sucker for "alien like" movies, and for survival movies, and for underwater movies, so I liked it, lol)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Beastie Boys Story. More TED Talk than movie but still totally engaging. I think it would be entertaining for fans and non-fans alike. It’s very honest and often moving and hilarious. Yauch was the real force in the band and his presence is definitely felt.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
We watched Apocalypse Now last night. I much prefer the original to any of the Redux. It’s pretty much a perfect movie for me and the Duvall scenes still blow me away every time. I personally like the film’s length and like that events get gradually more insane the further up river they go. But if someone was inclined to trim it to tighten the pacing the Playboy scene could definitely be cut with minimal difficulty. I like seeing Bill Graham in it and the band playing Suzy Q, Flash Cadillac, are buddies of my father-in-law. But it definitely isn’t crucial to the story.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like watching movies on holidays, but there aren't a lot you can watch for May Day.  I found two this year...

Kill List (2011)- for fans of the odd British folk horror sub-genre that has somehow popped up.  There is actually a lot to unpack here, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it.  Full review: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/kill-list/

Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (2005)- palate cleanser.  Yup, this actually is all about a May Day hula celebration.  The original is so under-rated...this sequel is probably appropriately-rated.  Full review: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/lilo-stitch-2-stitch-has-a-glitch/

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Detective Pikachu (2019)
Never was a pokemon fan growing up. I actually preferred Digimon. I bought this one to potentially watch with the little who was introduced to pokemon via friends. I'd say this one was just as good as the Sonic movie visually, but had a better emotional resolution. It also was more faithful, or so it seems, to the source material than the Sonic movie. I don't think I'd want to return to it often, but it was a decent movie. 6.7/10

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last night I watched Platform on Netflix. This Kafka-esque nightmare does a great job at exploring class division and delivers some real stomach churning horror while making the most of its minimal set and small cast. For those who enjoyed Cube and Circle this is a feast. 8/10

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Detective Pikachu (2019)
Never was a pokemon fan growing up. I actually preferred Digimon. I bought this one to potentially watch with the little who was introduced to pokemon via friends. I'd say this one was just as good as the Sonic movie visually, but had a better emotional resolution. It also was more faithful, or so it seems, to the source material than the Sonic movie. I don't think I'd want to return to it often, but it was a decent movie. 6.7/10

Did you show them the Pokemon remake that came out on Netflix? I remember some of my gamer friends being super excited about that

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Masirimso17" , no. I'm actually trying to not encourage the pokemon so I don't have a billion cards around the house . :)

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
'Alita: Battle Angel' [2019]

I was in the mood to watch some eye-candy that I didn't have to think too hard about. 'A:BA' fit the bill though, to be honest, if I knew going in that this was very much Part One of a yet-to-be-confirmed series, I might have passed. Rosa Salazar, Christoph Waltz and Mahershala Ali are all excellent; didn't care much for the Disney Channel love interest.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^You nailed it Garp.  It was some gorgeous eye candy, too.  To be fair, they pretty much adapted the complete story from the original anime, plus some.  I was hoping to finally get some resolution from that decades old cliffhanger, but I guess not.

Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966)
A legendarily bad film, it's mostly just pretty boring.  Watching the MST3K version helps with that, but...
Full Review: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/manos-the-hands-of-fate/

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have a Good Trip: Adventures in Psychedelics. It’s mostly just celebrities—mostly comedians—describing their trips. It’s mildly amusing but you won’t learn anything whether you’ve tripped yourself or whether you haven’t (I’m guessing). 2.5 @"Neglify"s out of 5.

Top Bottom