• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Freaks (2018)
My wife picked it out, so I had the pleasure of knowing absolutely nothing about this film (not even the Netflix description), and after the first half we put our kid to bed because we thought it was going to get violent, and I didn't know how I felt about the movie at that point other than it was well-shot. Well it certainly surprised me in a good way, I felt something for the characters and didn't expect it to go where it went, so I recommend it (but I don't recommend reading about it or watching a trailer).

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wonder. The kids watched this and I caught most of it. For them I think it was just right. For me, while it does tug at the heartstrings, it also feels a bit too manipulative without trusting the audience to get it without beating the message into the ground. I think even my seven year olds didn’t need quite so much blunt force messaging. Still, worth a watch for primary or middle school kids.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
John Q (2002)
I love Denzel, but this movie just felt like a caricature of life rather than a simulation. It's production and presentation is more like a made for TV movie than a Hollywood film and ultimately serves more as a bid for health care than anything else. I also noticed how similar the editing and soundtracks are in movies with Denzel Washington from this decade. Denzel is the reason to watch this one, not much else. 6.5/10

Unstoppable (2010)
I started watching this one years ago but never made it all the way through. It's another movie that stars one of my favorite actors in the role of the hard working everyday American man. The plot is pretty ridiculous but actually loosely based on the CSX 8888 incident from 2001. Kind of a boring thriller, but the ending scenes are classic Denzel and you can't help but like his character. 6.5/10

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bombshell. Like 2018’s Vice, this one was good but suffers from trying to be too many things and as a result leaves its themes and characters underdeveloped. If you know anything about the headlines on which this story is based you won’t learn anything new and that’s a shame. But the performances are top notch all around and I did enjoy it while watching.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
U.S. Marshals (1998)
I don't know why this one bombed at the box office and with the critics. Yes, it's a very similar story if you look at it in whole, but the intricate parts of the story are pretty different. The original series that the Fugitive was based on was a collection of episodes about the tracking of one fugitive and it worked. Maybe I'm just a big enough Tommy Lee Jones fan to let the similarities go. Not really a fan of Wesley Snipes, but they don't have him do anything too extraordinary which helps legitimize the story. The only really super ridiculous part of this movie is the iconic leap from the roof scene. Everything else, while over dramatized, is believable enough to get invested in the action. The only real gripe I have about this movie is that certain plot points are given either way to early or too in your face. The removal of about 3-4 scenes would have created a huge, "WHAT?!?!?!", moment for 1st time viewers. If you like the Fugitive, Tommy Lee Jones and the crew and can overlook some similar plot points, this is a good suspense thriller from the late 90's. 7.5/10

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Happy Death Day
I had a lot of fun watching this. Much better than I expected. I thought it would be Groundhog Day meets Halloween. Turns out it's actually Groundhog Day meets Scream.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
U.S. Marshals (1998)

I never saw this but isn't it actually an official sequel to The Fugitive?  Tommy Lee Jones plays the same character, right?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
DigModiFicaTion said:
U.S. Marshals (1998)

I never saw this but isn't it actually an official sequel to The Fugitive?  Tommy Lee Jones plays the same character, right?

Yes

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Uncut Gems. It certainly achieves what it sets out to do, which is induce a two hour panic attack. If that’s your thing and you enjoyed the directors’ Good Time, you’ll likely “enjoy” this. I think I liked Good Time a bit more. I think it’s getting a lot of attention because of Sandler. He’s good, but I don’t think the role would get the amount of attention it has if it were another actor in the role.

I actually enjoyed this movie.

I couldn't quite understand why he kept making all of the stupid decisions. I guess that adds to the humanity and boosts the realism. I don't care for Sandler. But this was a good turn for him. I felt like the ending was a bit of a shock. I would have liked it better if the old rich guy wouldn't have given her the money but turned out to be double-crossing her and killed her.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
The Lighthouse. Beautifully filmed in black and white. At first I disliked the aspect ratio, but it does give a sense of claustrophobia. Both leads are top notch. The story can be viewed on multiple levels from a straight read to a archetypal myth to a Lovecraftian horror movie and probably more. I need time to digest all of this and perhaps I’ll expand in the longer reviews thread. Suffice to say I enjoyed it.

Thank you so much for tipping me in favor of watching this movie. I've been on the fence for a while. You had me at, "...Lovecraftian horror movie". I'm so easy.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Zamros said:
Jojo Rabbit is one of the best films I ever saw and you should see it too. I have spoken.

*Scarlett Johansson's in it*

I wish that did it for me. I have tried to watch it. I can't believe that I don't get it. It seems silly and odd to me. I do like Sam Rockwell in it, however.

Help me find a reason to like it, please.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Friday the 13th Part III (1982)

As I bought the DVD which contains both the 2D & 3D versions of the movie last month, I decided it was time enough at last to see this movie in the form audiences first viewed it in '82.

Suffice to say, the 3D effects don't improve the film. They do make it slightly more obnoxious, though.

5/10

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. It’s not the biopic you think. Hanks does a great job in his portrayal of the venerable kid’s show host, conveying that his choice to be kind doesn’t always just come easily. Rhys is the star here though. And he makes Vogel’s issues, which could’ve easily strayed into cliche, feel genuine.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lured (1947) starring Lucille Ball, George Sanders and a brief appearance from Boris Karloff.  A mystery involving Lucille Ball in a non-comedic role, but with that 1940's spit fire wit, going undercover to find a murderer who is slaying his victims after he meets them in the lonely hearts section from the newspaper.  There are some twists and turns with a Hitchcock-ian atmosphere and could've been almost on the same level as the master of suspense except for the last 20 or so minutes when the tension slows to a halt and we have a back and forth between 2 characters that should've included Lucille Ball, but didn't.  This would be something I'd 100% edit if there were an audience for it and if people actually had copies of this film lying around in their homes.  If you love Lucy, it's recommended for Lucille Ball, but also worth it to see the insanity that Boris Karloff brings to his limited role.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
ArtisDead said:
 You had me at, "...Lovecraftian horror movie". I'm so easy.

I guess you'd like "Color Out of Space", then?

I was so anxious for that movie to be released. I heard about it almost a year before. I have been a huge Lovecraft fan all of my life. Read everything he wrote and most of what he inspired others to right. His writing sort of imprinted my mind and had a huge impact on my belief that alternate dimensions exist in tandem with our own.

I liked the movie for what it was. Cage wouldn't have been my first choice for the lead. It needed someone who can actually act. Someone who could convey that nerve-wracking intensity that Lovecraft intends.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ArtisDead said:
Cage wouldn't have been my first choice for the lead. It needed someone who can actually act. Someone who could convey that nerve-wracking intensity

Wooooaaaah.  Clearly you haven't seen him rage-drink-crying...
mandy-2018-1080p-web-dl-dd5_-1-h264-fgt-4.jpg

Seriously, though... he takes so many horrible scripts and low-budget films that you're bound to see a lot of material he just can't elevate.  But when he's on...he's ON!  Finding the top movies that prove he's an amazing actor is a favorite hobby of The Internet, but you could check out: 
Leaving Las Vegas
Adaptation
Matchstick Men
or if you enjoy seeing an actor just drop it all, become unhinged, and go for something otherworldly:
Bad Lieutenant 2
Vampire's Kiss
and the aforementioned Mandy.
Plus there's also the incredible joy of seeing him take the piss out of Travolta in Face/Off (which nobody planned on and apparently threw Travolta for a loop!  In the first scene they had together, Travolta realized what Cage was doing and started doing his best Cage impression.  But he had already shot half his scenes.  So whether Travolta acts like Cage or not is wildly inconsistent from scene to scene as you watch the film, lol.)  Anyway, "Paid for by the committee to elect Nicolas Cage".

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Two movies from early in his career which I love (though I haven’t seen the latter in probably 30 years) are Raising Arizona and Birdy. And now I want to rewatch Birdy.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Plus there's also the incredible joy of seeing him take the piss out of Travolta in Face/Off (which nobody planned on and apparently threw Travolta for a loop!  In the first scene they had together, Travolta realized what Cage was doing and started doing his best Cage impression.  But he had already shot half his scenes.  So whether Travolta acts like Cage or not is wildly inconsistent from scene to scene as you watch the film, lol.)

THAT performance justifies Cage as an actor/would be actor. I forgot about that. Other than that...watch any movie he's in and you feel like you've seen every movie he's in.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Honestly I liked him in Color out of Space. For as ridiculous an actor he is, he plays a convincing dad.

Top Bottom