• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Split (2016)
Disturbing....not much else to say....

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Split (2016)
Disturbing....not much else to say....

I loved Split!  Works great as just a thriller, as you're wondering how delusional the kidnapper is.  Also so rich in terms of the psychology of victimization and empowerment.  Possibly Shyalaman's only good film after Unbreakable.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glass (2019)
Meh...what made Unbreakable good was broken by this slow, unfulfilling conclusion. 5/10

Source Code (2011)
A little slow this go around. I'm always a little conflicted with the ending due to his possession. Jeffrey Wright is super creepy in this one. Decent movie and execution. 7/10

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Parasite. Damn! What a great movie. Never has an upstairs/downstairs class drama been so entertaining and poignant at the same time. The more I think about it, the more little touches I realize went into the story telling. If this doesn’t win best screenplay, it will have been robbed.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fine Lines

Decent climbing documentary that features a lot of A-listers in the climbing world. I grew up climbing in the same gym as Lynn Hill (and had a huge crush on her) so I was glad to see her featured. I like that it emphasizes that these people that climb at the highest levels don’t have a death wish and that if there’s an adrenaline rush it means something has gone very wrong. I’m not sure BASE jumping and wingsuiting has a place in this documentary to be honest. Another gripe would be lack of focus on recreational climbers who are rarely if ever risking their lives in any real way. Recommended only if you’re a climber.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ford v Ferrari (though I prefer the title Le Mans ‘66). It was pretty good. Did Bale starve himself again to look a little more like the real Ken Miles? For me, someone not that into racing or cars in general, the story wasn’t as interesting as it might be for some. I think they were trying to use Miles relationships with his wife and kid (and of course Shelby) to give it more depth but it worked best for me in the scenes of the team working together to try to figure out how to build a better race car. The rest was just meh, even the racing action.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
I've never watched this movie past the first hour or so. Not a fan of Julianne Moore or Vince Vaughn (hmmm I think this is a common theme of my reviews, not being a fan of actors...). Jeff Goldblum is well Jeff Goldblum and the dinos don't feel very competent. Richard Schiff got the short end of the stick in this one...same formula, same result. 6/10

Jurassic Park III (2001)
Ditto. 6/10

Treasure Island (1950)
A great Disney classic. Silly by today's standards, but pretty gritty for it's time seeing that it's a family film. Bobby Driscoll did a great job at being Jim Hawkins. Robert Newton was a bit over the top, but made for a great Long John Silver. I prefer the TNT masterpiece with Heston & Bale, but this is still a great movie. 7/10

V for Vendetta (2005)
An interesting outing that presents itself as a suspenseful psychological thriller, but ultimately ends up in a different place. Some point near the third act, this film became something entirely different and I felt it could have been greater had it not taken a singular approach and focus of who the undesirables are. It felt too much like a singular narrative. I was most intrigued by the story lines of the virus, V and Finch, but only Finch received a satisfying conclusion in terms of plot and character development for me. I wanted to know a bit more about V and more about what the virus actually was intended for. Evey's character, while the main interpretation of the story, only really had weight after her capture and transformation. Minus a few scenes at the beginning and the end of the movie with some pretty ridiculous blood sfx's that I just skipped over this movie probably could have easily been PG-13. If I can somehow figure out how to focus the story back on V and the virus I might just try to make such an edit. I wanted to like the story more, but ultimately ended up feeling conflicted. Finch's character arc is what brings me to the 7.5/10

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
 6/10

Jurassic Park III (2001)
6/10

The Lost World was such a disappointment when I first saw it in the theater.  To me, it was the film that proved even Spielberg can make a legitimately bad movie.  (Not just underwhelming like some of his later films... <ahem>Warhorse<ahem>)

JPIII was somewhat redemptive.  Of course, not as good as the first film, but at least it wasn't a ridiculous abomination like Lost World.
DigModiFicaTion said:
V for Vendetta (2005)
7.5/10

This is one of my favorite films.  I actually like that they don't explain more about V's backstory... it's the backstory, not the main story.  The film is already on the long side, and the point of it is about "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" and about an average citizen taking control of their future to stand up against upper class authoritarianism (E-V).  It's her origin story, not his.  One of the big mistakes of the X-Men films was going too much into explaining Wolverine's origin... he was always better with a bit of mystery.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That is one interpretation. It seems you and I don't see eye to eye often ;)
5a3.gif

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Space Cop (2015):

Considering that it's a low-budget comedy from the awesomeness known as RedLetterMedia, it's pretty good!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
Space Cop (2015):

Considering that it's a low-budget comedy from the awesomeness known as RedLetterMedia, it's pretty good!

I'm a big fan of them but found that to be really disappointing. I thought they engaged in most of the same stuff they would judge other films for doing. I also thought the music and color grading throughout did not feel very filmish.

That said, I did have some laughs which is what I was there for.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
That is one interpretation. It seems you and I don't see eye to eye often ;)

I honestly hadn't noticed!  Probably I just usually comment when I have a different feeling, whereas the rest of the time I'm just silently nodding my head in agreement.  haha  But all due respect, you're of course right in whatever you personally want to see more of in a film.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Knives Out. I liked this one a lot. A really fun mystery that can be simply a fun ride if that’s all you want.l from it. But it’s also got some larger themes and being a Rian Johnson film, I couldn’t help think of its messages of entitlement and the entitlement of of some non-fans of his previous movie. Though the movie was likely written long before that reaction came, it has a sort of kismet. It also felt thematically consistent with that movie to me in that it is commenting on bloodline vs. “being a nobody.” Fun to think about though I doubt any way intentional.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jojo Rabbit. I loved it. I disagree with pretty much all the criticism I’ve read about the movie. The only potential issue would be with Sam Rockwell’s character (I won’t say more in order to keep this spoiler free). And in the hands of a lesser actor it may have been a problem for me. But Rockwell is superb. I feel he could get an Oscar nomination every time I see him. It’s all around great and after reading some of the criticisms I’m left wondering whether I saw the same movie.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Jojo Rabbit. I loved it. I disagree with pretty much all the criticism I’ve read about the movie. The only potential issue would be with Sam Rockwell’s character (I won’t say more in order to keep this spoiler free). And in the hands of a lesser actor it may have been a problem for me. But Rockwell is superb. I feel he could get an Oscar nomination every time I see him. It’s all around great and after reading some of the criticisms I’m left wondering whether I saw the same movie.

Sam Rockwell was great in the role. My favorite scene in the whole movie was
him rushing into the final battle in his custom uniform design from earlier in the movie.
jojo-jpg.1042574

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Sam Rockwell was great in the role. My favorite scene in the whole movie was
him rushing into the final battle in his custom uniform design from earlier in the movie.
jojo-jpg.1042574

Totally! That was so perfect but also hints at what could’ve been my only real issue with the movie. Is there a spoiler thread for this movie?

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finally watched John Carter last night. It wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, but it was pretty unengaging. I've never read the Edgar Rice Borroughs stories, but I can see how they would have been interesting to people at the time and why the producers thought they would transfer well to the screen. The main problem is that CGI wasn't quite where it needed to be in 2012 to handle a main cast of CGI aliens. There were also some design issues with the technology shown. They tried to make everything futuristic, but but the sleek flying ships still had hand cranks and everybody fought with swords. They should have embraced a more steampunk design if they wanted to maintain the future/old timey mix.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Miracle (2004)
As fantastic as the first time I watched it. Right up there with Remember the Titans. Excellent cast, excellent acting, excellent production and cinematography that captured the time and feeling. If you like motivational sports movies and you haven't seen this, do yourself a favor and watch it asap. 8.75/10

Top Bottom