• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Horror Express

Horror-Express-images-1e29563d-57c6-4bb1-b643-5926ed91bf3.jpg

1972 Starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

Lee and Cushing together and it was on Amazon Prime, so it was a no brainer!  It's basically "The Thing" on a train and I really enjoyed it despite the terrible music score.  The story could've been fleshed out a bit more because the movie does move at a brisk pace besides 1 or 2 scenes.  Overall an excellent watch if you are a fan of Hammer/Amicus movies (which this is not, but basically is in spirit).  It's in the public domain as well so download as you please!  Arrow has put out a crystal clean print on blu ray!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
It's basically "The Thing" on a train

Sold! :D

Dammit, of the two copies on Amazon Prime, one is a terrible VHS rip and the other is excellent but in the wrong aspect-ratio. The qulity control on Amazon is terrible. The Arrow stream is subscription only.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
musiced921 said:

Dammit, of the two copies on Amazon Prime, one is a terrible VHS rip and the other is excellent but in the wrong aspect-ratio. The qulity control on Amazon is terrible. The Arrow stream is subscription only.

I ended up watching a pretty good print from YouTube, if you want/can stream that to your TV. I apologize for not mentioning that before. I forgot that I ended up switching to YouTube midway through.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
TM2YC said:
musiced921 said:

I ended up watching a pretty good print from YouTube, if you want/can stream that to your TV. I apologize for not mentioning that before. I forgot that I ended up switching to YouTube midway through.

Thanks.

Ha, I spelled "quality control" wrong in my post. I should take my own advice.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched High Tension last night, and wow, it was fantastic. A really well made horror movie. I do t that it could use a bit of a trim, fix a couple of plot holes and shorten some especially drawn out scenes, but as is I still thuroughly enjoyed it.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was looking around for something to kickstart Spooktober, and I came across Tumbbad.

Ultimately, I was very impressed and had a blast watching it. The style reminded me of Pan's Labyrinth, with extremely unsettling physical effects lending themselves to a folk-loresque story. Tumbbad features great camera work as well. I didn't mind the subtitles, but some might find it hard to stay immersed. Definitely worth watching if you're itching for some solid creepy material for the season.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Studio 17: The Lost Reggae Tapes (2019)
Lovely feature-length BBC4 doc about the evolution of Jamaican music through the story of the Chin family, record producers and owners of Randy's Records in Kingston, Studio 17 and VP Records in New York. Mostly it's centered on Clive Chin and his efforts to archive and restore thousands of 60s-70s master tapes that he recovered from flooding and looting in the late 80s. Incredible vintage footage/photos, anecdotes and of course the music itself.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Devil Rides Out AKA The Devil's Bride (1968)

A silly mess, but the cast saves it.

6/10

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Chappie

A rewatch still think it's a brilliant blend of Short Circuit and Robocop, ok so the plot isn't the most original thing in the world but the quirkiness of the whole thing makes it feel more so. The CGI of Chappie looks pretty damn faultless too, the critics got this one wrong. Blompkamp is the perfect choice for a Robocop reboot

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finding Altamira (2016)
I found this movie on Vudu today after seeing that The Odyssey was still playing for free and remembering how impressed and mesmerized I was by Pierre Niney's acting. If you haven't seen this young French actor you're missing out on an emerging master of the craft. When I clicked on Niney's filmography, Finding Altamira came up. Seeing that Antonio Banderas was in it and reading the brief synopsis I decided to jump into this one blind. Wow. The actors were fantastic and the presentation was pure life. The portrayal of the conflict of faith and science was perfectly represented. I loved the moment of clarity that came in the quiet moment of discovery and lens of innocence seen through Maria's character. Seeing the many indifferent reviews reminds me that we perhaps have forgotten what real life is, and could be. A grounding film that proves the greatest adventure in life is in the pursuit and discovery of the unknown. 10/10

Streaming free on Vudu & YouTube Movies:
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/Finding-Altamira/807523

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw Joker... but first I finished my "Pirate Parade" mini marathon:

Pirates of Penzance (1983)
This is essentially a filmed version of the theatrical production.  I know I’m picky about musicals, but this didn’t do much for me.  It was a little too in love with Gilbert & Sullivan, whose music and lyrics are already too in love with themselves.  (Is one verse or tune catchy enough to repeat?  Then repeating it 7x must be better!)  The music is best compared to church hymns or Christmas carols, and the lyrics must have seemed witty in the 1800s but are trying way too hard now.  The thin plot is an excuse to move through non-stop music, and has some creepy and outdated attitudes anyway.  Great performances and The Major General’s Song don’t make this worthwhile.  Recommend Animaniacs instead.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
I liked the first film, but have always thought everyone was overly enraptured by Jack Sparrow.  Look, these are silly movies.  They don’t make a lot of sense historically, geographically, and even the physics of many scenes in this movie are ridiculous.  The plot seems to unfold a certain way in many scenes just because that’s what needs to happen for the next scene to work.  This film is actually considerably less “stranger” than the previous films (despite making Blackbeard have a magical sword that controls ships and weather, just as an aside) but I’m sure it was fluffy enough entertainment in the theater.

Best movie out of the marathon is still The Crimson Pirate.
Oh, and Joker was amazing.  The critics who want something sanitized and the audience who want something funny can all go back and watch Aquaman.  This was exactly the movie for the Joker.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Watched this for our Cinema & Art quiz...

...What is this?

...Is this what inspired all those YouTube Poops?

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
El Camino (2019)
I don't know if it's a movie so much as like another 1.5 episodes of Breaking Bad, but it's really everything I wanted it to be.  Cameos from almost everyone you would want.  Not for people who didn't watch all the show. (also, the teaser above is one of my favorite things ever: the style that gives you the flavor of the film, but actually isn't in the movie.)

Pulp Empire (orig. '80 and '94)
Finally watched this great fan edit with a bunch of friends.  Very fun times.

Coco (2017)
In a bit of Halloween-ish business, finally watched the lone Pixar film I hadn't seen.  Not in my personal Pixar top 10, but there was a moment in the end that jerked the tears from me.  Damn you, Pixar.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Magellan (2017)
It's rare that I'll give a lower budget film my time, and unfortunately this movie proves why. Magellan is a mashup of 2001, Contact, Mission to Mars  and Interstellar. This isn't just because it's a space movie either. It borrows ideas and aesthetics without even trying to hide it. The main character is completely self absorbed and you struggle to identify with or even like him at times due to the choices he makes that effect his family. He's reckless and I find it hard to believe that he would be chosen for such a mission. There were moments when it seemed that perhaps a narrative shift was going to occur and something special might happen, but ultimately this film is a failed hack of better films. I'd recommend saving your time and spending it somewhere else. Even with a few spectacular visuals, there's no real satisfaction as this movie comes to an ambiguous end. 5/10

MovieFreakedMind

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I mentioned this in the Discord but I'll share it here too since I seem to be in the minority, based on what I've read online. 

IT Chapter Two: I'm really shocked to hear that this film has gotten such less enthusiastic reviews than its predecessor. I know that it still got a mostly good reception in the sense that a majority of the reviews were positive, but a lot of people are saying that it is a step down from the first one. I think that this movie had all of the heart and humor that the first installment had, perhaps even more so because they further pursued the angle of IT targeting people that are already vulnerable in one way or another, which I think is the most interesting aspect of the plot. The scares were the weakest part of the film in that only a few of them were genuinely disturbing while the rest were just over-the-top, but I felt the same exact way about the scares in the first movie. I think taken as a whole, IT 1 & 2 are a great epic adaptation of what I always thought to be an unfilmable book. I look forward to watching them back to back in the future and I also look forward to the director's "supercut" version with the extra couple hours of deleted scenes that he's been talking about since before the first one even came out.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bit of a late start on my spoOktober films this year, but I'm trying to make up for lost time.

Army of Darkness - Overdose cut (orig. 1992)
I first saw this in the theater, I hadn’t seen the series and didn’t get it.  The slapsticky moments that turned me off are still in this cut of the Primitive Screwhead Edition (goes over the top at the windmill) but I can now enjoy it for being the delicious cheese that it is.  Not really scary, but Raimi is a master of creating tension, and some of the deleted scenes here add to that.  A lot of the special effects are really obvious by today’s standards and don’t hold up, but Bruce Campbell remains glorious.  This one has the alternate ending, which is pretty sweet.

Taking Lives (2004)
was billed as a suspense-horror film about a serial killer, but really most of it is like a police procedural.  Despite some factual inconsistencies, I was really into the performances by Jolie, Hawke, and Martinez.  The film tries hard to throw you some red herrings though, and never resolves them in a way that makes total sense.  But it’s not as bad as it’s reputation.

It Follows (2015)
is one of those trope-filled horror films with the “slow but unstoppable killer” premise, really reduced to its most basic form.  I suppose the twist is that rather than the teens that have sex being targeted, having sex is the only way to escape here.  The concept offers opportunities to comment on how class inequality means death inequality or the terror of dying alone and misunderstood, but instead we get the whitest Detroit imaginable and a movie that can’t figure out what time period it’s in or what it wants to say.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
It Follows (2015)
is one of those trope-filled horror films with the “slow but unstoppable killer” premise, really reduced to its most basic form.  I suppose the twist is that rather than the teens that have sex being targeted, having sex is the only way to escape here.  The concept offers opportunities to comment on how class inequality means death inequality or the terror of dying alone and misunderstood, but instead we get the whitest Detroit imaginable and a movie that can’t figure out what time period it’s in or what it wants to say.

It's horror as an STD. That's basically it haha. I found it entirely unnerving and enjoyable.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Terminator Dark Fate

Well early reviews were promising and I"m in agreement that this is probably the best since T2 although I dont think T3 is half as bad some make out save a few moments of Ill judged comedy. They have wisely used T2 as a template and what we get is a two hour no holds barred chase move which sticks very closely to that T2 template. The new characters were all pretty darn great and the new rev9 was a pretty decent second to RPs T1000. If you're happy with T2s endoskeleton with a shiny new skin you wont be disappointed and for me that's what the Terminator films need to be 'chase movies' whether thats enough to keep making em is another question. Finally though another good terminator movie!

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Siliconmaster said:
mnkykungfu said:
It's horror as an STD. That's basically it haha. I found it entirely unnerving and enjoyable.

Well, each to their own.  It didn't build any suspense for me, and was boring except for a couple cheap jump scares.  I don't think the STD metaphor works though... in that case, everyone would want to not have sex.  That's like the typical horror trope of "those who get busy get killed".  In this, even if you quarantined and killed the "infected", it'd just revert back to the previous person.  Zombie horror is a better metaphor for STDs or any kind of disease, really.

Honestly, I'm a hard sell on horror movies.  I do love when I find a great one, but I think 95% of them are pretty sheit.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Terminator Dark Fate.

It was "good", but not great. Mixed feelings.
The pros: it gets back to basics.
The cons: it gets back to basics.
Meaning that even if it is probably the best sequel after T2, all the others at least brought some new ideas on the table (ideas that people loved or hated, but new ideas), this one does not. Except maybe for the character played by Arnold, but even that was not "that" surprising.
Good time in theater, I recommend it because seeing Linda Hamilton kicking ass is pure nostalgia trip in a very good way, but ultimately it is just a soft reboot (contrarily to Genisys that tried too much to be a "hard" reboot, lol)

Mild SPOILER
PS: I'm also a bit sad that this movie also acknowledge that Sarah Connor DID change the future in T2. But well... I guess that in a franchise about time travel it is difficult to not play withchanges.

Top Bottom