• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved it then and still LOVE it today!!!! 

:D

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Has its moments, particularly early in the film with Charlie and his family. But it goes downhill fast IMMEDIATELY with Wonka's introduction. Depp's Wonka is an unendearing little bitch, and Christopher Lee really needed to go all Corbin Bernsen on his bicuspids.

6/10

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoy both theatrical versions. But the best version is the Tom and Jerry version.
Tom-and-jerry-willy-wonka-movie-poster.png

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw Rambo Last Blood yesterday... overall I loved it.  Very brutal, unrelenting and I really liked how this felt different to other chapters in the series.  Stallone is on top form and whilst it may not be a film for everyone, I for one feel it's the third best film in the franchise after First Blood, and Rambo (2008). 
Highly recommended.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Saw Rambo Last Blood yesterday... overall I loved it.  Very brutal, unrelenting and I really liked how this felt different to other chapters in the series.  Stallone is on top form and whilst it may not be a film for everyone, I for one feel it's the third best film in the franchise after First Blood, and Rambo (2008). 
Highly recommended.

Thanks. Been hoping to see a review from somebody who knows the Rambo franchise. A lot of the critic reviews have been saying it's bad because it's violent and fueled by vengeance which seems to be missing the point :D .

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a fan of the previous movies I really wasn't too keen on it and more or less agree with the critical consensus.  My main problem with it was it really didn't feel like a Rambo movie on the whole even the brutality just seemed a little OTT for a Rambo film especailly the very final kill which felt like something more akin to something from an Eli Roth film. As a result I rewatched all the other sequels over the weekend to compare it against.  Its very light on action too for a Rambo movie which wouldnt have been a bad thing if the supporting characters had been anything more than cardboard cliches, but alas it was an hour of forumlaic perfunctory setup for a brutal but rather samey action set piece at the end. 
My Rambo Rating for comparison

First Blood 10/10
Rambo: First Blood Part 2 7/10 (A big step down from the first one but some great sequences and exciting overall)
Rambo III 6.5/10 (More of the same only more preachy and heavy handed this time)
Rambo 7.5/10 (A return to form captures some of the spirit of the first film with the action spectacle of the sequels)
Rambo V Last Blood 5.5/10 (generic Taken clone with Rambo shoehorned in)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Another good review. I read that some countries such as the UK are getting a much shorter cut:

Lionsgate released two different theatrical cuts of Rambo: Last Blood, varying by country. In the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada, the film runs 89 minutes long; in Australia, Mexico, Sweden, Brazil, and Finland, it runs 101 minutes long. The latter version contains several deleted scenes and an alternate opening, which runs approximately 10 minutes long

That really puts me off paying to see it, when I can just wait and see the proper version later.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
^ Another good review. I read that some countries such as the UK are getting a much shorter cut:
Lionsgate released two different theatrical cuts of Rambo: Last Blood, varying by country. In the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada, the film runs 89 minutes long; in Australia, Mexico, Sweden, Brazil, and Finland, it runs 101 minutes long. The latter version contains several deleted scenes and an alternate opening, which runs approximately 10 minutes long

Had to read that twice.  I first thought there was a 10-minute long cut.  I was like "Hmmm...bold.  I'd watch a Rambo short film though!"

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
TM2YC said:

Had to read that twice.  I first thought there was a 10-minute long cut.  I was like "Hmmm...bold.  I'd watch a Rambo short film though!"

Ha! Not sure if that was my mistake, or Wikipedia's.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Continuing my tribute to International Talk Like a Pirate Day (Sep. 19):
The Crimson Pirate (1952)
Sorry if this is a bit of a longer review…it was my first Burt Lancaster movie, and quite an introduction.  So apparently Burt and his co-star in this film, Nick Cravat, got their start as acrobats in a circus before becoming actors, and it’s used to good effect here.  This film has that goofy, performative tone that I find in a lot of movies from that era.  It’s hard to take them seriously, but unlike the Errol Flynn movies I saw, this one is more about spectacle than drama…. and is consequently a lot more fun to watch.  They seemed to cast with attention to the sailing first, and the actors don’t look out of place as tough pirates.  The main stars especially show off a lot of their acrobatics, and there are a number of truly impressive stunt scenes, including two end battles that are absolutely bonkers.  With lots of humor, sight gags, anachronistic inventions, twists and turns, and the requisite cross-dressing scene, this film is like the blueprint for the Pirates of the Caribbean series.  Recommended!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I love those old trailers where the film's star sells it to the audience (recently homaged in Tarantino's latest). It looks like a lot of fun, although probably not a patch on this ;) :

hqdefault.jpg

Under the Skin (1997)
Still the only feature film Directed by Carine Adler (aka Lady Reid of Cardowan) is the story of two sisters coping very differently with the death of their mother. The main focus is on Samantha Morton's more troubled sister who spirals off into self-destruction and depression. Ultimately an uplifting film.

The Wizard of Oz (1939)
A 4K screening of this Technicolor classic was a real treat. The switch from sepia to colour is still breathtaking. That an 80 year old piece of entertainment could still delight and hold the attention of the children in the audience was impressive.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Wizard of Oz is amazing.  It feels old, but holds up so much better than movies even from the 80s.  You would never guess it was from '39.  Even though Oz the Great and Powerful was not nearly as strong of a film, I loved seeing it in the theater.  The tribute of the color switch, aspect ratio switch, and switch to 3D was a real enjoyment in the theater.

About The Crimson Pirate: yeah, that's pretty cool in the trailer, right?  I hadn't seen the trailer before watching the film, and it does look natural there.  What's weird is that that's actually the opening to the film!  I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that opened with the actors looking at the audience and talking to them like "hey, you're going to enjoy this thing you're about to watch!"

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
What's weird is that that's actually the opening to the film!  I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that opened with the actors looking at the audience and talking to them like "hey, you're going to enjoy this thing you're about to watch!"

Oh really! I want to see it even more now.

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had an idea of a Hereditary/Midsommar double bill but promptly canceled the second one on account of the first being overhyped crap. What a waste of fine actors.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Frighteners (1996)

Entertaining, but heavily cliched, riddled with plotholes, and the ending's entirely too mawkish for my liking. It gets my goat, 'cause all these flaws are entirely minor and easily correctable with a few minor cuts and reshoots; there's an above-average movie in here somewhere, but no one will ever see it.

6/10

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Frighteners is my least favorite Peter Jackson film that I've seen. I found it completely uninteresting. Maybe I should revisit it though.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The official BFI 36th best British film ever made...

The Italian Job (1969)
Even funnier, cooler and more charming than I remembered. So many classic lines, so many beautiful scope shots. Noël Coward almost steals the show from under Michael Caine with his performance as the intimidating royalist crimelord 'Mr. Bridger'.

The official BFI 8th best British film ever made...

Don't Look Now (1973)
Probably this takes more than one viewing to fully appreciate. It's certainly technically brilliant but the plot is a bit random in retrospect. Director Nicolas Roeg's trademark fracturing of time in the edit is particularly effective for this story of memory and premonition. There is some Giallo DNA in here.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apollo 18 (2011)
A decent space conspiracy/horror film. The presentation is probably the most intriguing part of the movie as it's all in the presentation of "lost footage" from the mission. No real development of characters or plot here. It's more of a twilight zone or outer limits than an actual sci-fi thriller movie. 5.5/10

The trailer will spoil the movie, but here it is.

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought it was pretty alright, would make a better 20 something minute short fan edit.

Top Bottom