• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I Am Legend (2007)
I haven't ever watched this film as I'm not a fan of zombie flicks. After watching World War Z and its scientific slant on the whole living dead thing and seeing Will Smith I decided to finally watch this one. Will Smith is great, as he is in many outings. Sure he's similar in every role, but he feels pretty authentic in those roles as well. The CG was terrible  in this movie, even for a 2007 film. The ending was way too quick and over the top. It tries to pull an M. Night Shyamalan type of ending over a minuscule moment and piece of dialogue from the beginning, which for a second is neat, but overall the movie comes across pretty flat. World War Z is the better science zombie movie of the two. 6/10

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I Am Legend fundamentally bothers me. I watched 20 minutes and had to shut it off. I'm a huge fan of the book, and one day I decided to check out all of the film adaptations.
Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price was fairly accurate to the source material, but Vincent Price doesn't fit the role.
The Omega Man was so different from the book that it's not comparable. I was able to enjoy it in its own right.

I Am Legend is close enough to the book that I can compare it. By giving the character a dog from the beginning, it eliminates the total sense of isolation. In the book, he gets a dog halfway through that dies in the next page. I haven't finished the movie, but from what I've heard of the theatrical ending, it is missing the whole reason why it's called I Am Legend. Those are my two main problems. The cgi is horrible, why not use people for vampires? Yes, they're supposed to be vampires, they're just portrayed so horribly.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I Am Legend fundamentally bothers me. I watched 20 minutes and had to shut it off. I'm a huge fan of the book, and one day I decided to check out all of the film adaptations.
Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price was fairly accurate to the source material, but Vincent Price doesn't fit the role.
The Omega Man was so different from the book that it's not comparable. I was able to enjoy it in its own right.

I Am Legend is close enough to the book that I can compare it. By giving the character a dog from the beginning, it eliminates the total sense of isolation. In the book, he gets a dog halfway through that dies in the next page. I haven't finished the movie, but from what I've heard of the theatrical ending, it is missing the whole reason why it's called I Am Legend. Those are my two main problems. The cgi is horrible, why not use people for vampires? Yes, they're supposed to be vampires, they're just portrayed so horribly.

How do you feel about Night of the Living Dead?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love Night of the Living Dead! It's inspired by I Am Legend, but it's not trying to be a proper adaptation, same with 28 Days Later from what I read. I still see them as their own things, and I Am Legend never comes to mind when I watch them. If you want to consider Night as an adaptation, then it falls in the category of The Omega Man where it's so different that I can't compare it and it's good in its own right.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Endgame on my flight back to the States from Germany. I think I’m known on this site as not being a fan of the MCU. However I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was very funny and engaging for the first 2/3 of the movie. Unfortunately, it did its Marvel thing and became an overlong CGI battle royale in the final hour that bored me to tears. But that first hour especially makes me give this one a thumbs up.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I watched Endgame on my flight back to the States from Germany. I think I’m known on this site as not being a fan of the MCU. However I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was very funny and engaging for the first 2/3 of the movie. Unfortunately, it did its Marvel thing and became an overlong CGI battle royale in the final hour that bored me to tears. But that first hour especially makes me give this one a thumbs up.

Moe, if you haven't already, you might want to watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier.  Very little green screen, lots of character drama and suspense.  It's an on-the-run espionage thriller somewhat like 3 Days of the Condor.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Winter Soldier is definitely one of the better MCU movies. In contrast, Civil War is pretty much what turned my indifference for the franchise to dislike.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Geronimo - For a movie with the Native American as the title figure, we spend precious little time with him.  Fails to give an understanding of the true reasons Geronimo did anything, or the nuance of the times.  Should've gotten a Razzie for worst editing... the action scenes are confusing and lack much of a thrill.  Standout performances from Jason Patric and Matt Damon can't save the film.

Into the Woods - Standout performances by Chris Pine, Billy Magnussen, and (of course) Meryl Streep.  They perform with the right balance of tongue-in-cheek gusto and sexual innuendo that captures the cleverness of the play.  I hated the kids, and a lot of changes from the play weaken the film.

In the Cut - A lot of strong choices in this film by everyone.  They don't work, but they're commitments.  Campion tries to do 'portrait of a complicated, repressed lady' but dresses the whole thing up in a murder mystery thriller with mind-numbingly dumb writing.  Too bad this killed Meg Ryan's career, it would've been interesting to see her go in a Nicole Kidman direction.

The Dirt - Everything Bohemian Rhapsody was accused of, this film is guilty of ten times over.  For a film supposedly dishing the dirt on the band, there is a lot that they don't tell.  A fair bit of gross-out moments I could've done without, and an ending third that speeds through the most interesting behind-the-scenes opportunities to gloss over 15 years of struggles in 15 minutes.  Like the recent Queen and NWA movies, this is the band-sponsored version that ends up being more of a walk through their discography than a true biopic.

Tokyo Story (1953) - Finally, I watched a good movie this month!  I rarely enjoy films from before the '70s, but this one holds up.  I lived in Japan for years, and this just gets all the nuances of Japanese life exactly right.  I think some people think they were acting/directing choices, but it's just normal for Japan, even now.  The story is possibly even more relevant there today than it was 60 years ago, and will probably resonate with anyone who has aging parents, too.  Very understated and contextual, it probably requires a bit of understanding of how Japanese communicate, but it's a worthwhile film.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Return of the Jedi (1983)
I made a youngling edition of ROTJ from Harmy's Despecialized to show the little munchkins. It was odd to rip this movie apart in preparation of showing it. I never realized just how, dare I say, low budget the look of it is (in comparison with today's kids flicks). The rancor (removed) totally gave me an Ewok's adventure vibe and some of the shots of the scout troopers looked like fan films when isolated. This is meant more as a compliment to the progress of fanfilms than a dig on the movie. Watching it with the littles made me see George Lucas' Star Wars for the very first time. I get why he chose ewoks and even Jar Jar. He wanted to make it for kids, to see them sit up when Luke first gets the lightsaber, laugh when Han delivers his nonstop one liners and during the ewok antics. Anyway, minus a few scenes that I removed for the youngling version, this most definitely is a kids movie and almost makes me think I shouldn't have been blindsided by the prequels' similar tone due to the way Jedi was presented. Probably my least favorite of the originals, but a forever classic. 8/10

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hail, Caesar! (2016)
I have no idea what I just watched.....this movie was an utter mess. I mostly just played guitar through the whole thing because I couldn't bring myself to watch. Alden Ehrenreich's character was the only part that made me want to kind of watch. The rest was just meh....0/10

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^^
Y3F66N3.gif

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)
I really liked the first Fantastic Beasts, but this one was just missing the magic of the first. Sure there was magic on the screen, but the performances and presentation was just not the same. The cg was terrible and overused in this one. The movie picked up near the end and became engaging and the reveal was intriguing to this muggle (non harry potter fan). A major part of what made me love the first movie is utterly destroyed in this one, but if the main characters have embodied anything in this new series, it is that there is always hope for those that do the right thing. Let's hope the added prep time for FB3 can rise to the first film. 6.5/10

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Return of the Jedi (1983)
Watching it with the littles made me see George Lucas' Star Wars for the very first time. I get why he chose ewoks and even Jar Jar.

Personally my problem with Jar-Jar isn’t that he’s annoying. I can appreciate something that makes kids laugh (besides the poop jokes of course). My problem is that Phantom Menace has an inconsistent tone which constantly clashes with each other. On one side we have heavy boring political conversations and on the other we have Jar-Jar. It is possible for a movie to balance these out, but unfortunately Phantom Menace fails and brings us a very uneven tone.

That’s the movie critic talking of course. Kids enjoy it so I’m fine with it.

EDIT: Plus people who grew up with Phantom Menace and Jar Jar now have a nostalgic love towards him regardless of how funny/unfunny/annoying he can get or of the uneven tone.

Flounder

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The last film I recently watched was The Kitchen. In spite of the negative critical reception, I thought it was alright. The storytelling and editing get very choppy at times (Possible studio interference?) but otherwise, it was decent. Melissa McCarthy, Tiffany Haddish, and Elisabeth Moss are all excellent, and it's a competently directed film.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Hail, Caesar! (2016)
I have no idea what I just watched.....this movie was an utter mess. I mostly just played guitar through the whole thing because I couldn't bring myself to watch. Alden Ehrenreich's character was the only part that made me want to kind of watch. The rest was just meh....0/10

Meh = 0/10

QyakXo1.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's a film I personally really enjoyed, while I've also noticed it can be very divisive (it is all over the place narratively) but 0/10 does seem harsh. Surely the "Would that it were so simple" scene and 'No Dames' earn it at least a 1/10 ;) :

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
True. I did enjoy the cowboy. So I'll amend my rating to a 2/10 :)

Top Bottom