• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
I've been rewatching Quentin Tarantino's filmography, in preparation for his latest odyssey, "Once Upon A Time... in Hollywood" this Friday.

Phase Three

"Inglourious Basterds" (2009)
His second masterpiece. This gets glouriouser every time I watch it. 5/5

"Django Unchained" (2012)
This movie's all over the place but it's so damn good. I'd love to see the extended mini-series re-edit he's been teasing. 4/5

"The Hateful Eight" (2015)
I still love it. It's weird sometimes, it kind of drops the ball here and there, it could have been way better. It's still damn good though. 4/5

I was contemplating watching his Extended Universe flicks -- True Romance, Four Rooms, From Dusk Till Dawn -- but I'll save those for after Hollywood.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like we have similar taste in QT, @"Neglify". Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds are by far my favorites. I haven’t hated anything but Deathproof. I’m generally not a fan of the Kill Bill movies either. The rest are just good movies that I’ve enjoyed but don’t have a strong desire to revisit. I do love True Romance as well.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't seen all of QT's movies, but the ones I've seen I've mostly liked. And my positive feelings line up closely with Neg and Moe's, though less enthusiastically.

I do think sometimes his style takes me out of the movie. In particular it's the amount of monologues and homages to genre staples. When these things work, they work. When they don't, they make me look at my watch, metaphorically (I don't wear a watch). For example, his scene in Sin City feels so long and it's cut way down from what he actually filmed. That is, of course, an extreme example.

My ranking would be something like:
Inglourious Basterds
Reservoir Dogs
Django Unchained
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill 1
Kill Bill 2

Deathproof

I haven't seen the others.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m curious, and perhaps someone here knows the answer, Reservoir Dogs was very close to True Romance; was it his preferred script or was it something else that caused him to make Reservoir Dogs over True Romance? Presumably he had both scripts. Honestly I’m not sure which is the better script, but for me, True Romance is a far superior movie.

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thor: The Dark World - Even the Hard Forged Edition, as good as it is, still fails to give me any reason to fear Malekith. At least I understood Convergence in that cut to be a metaphor for Thor and Jane's "convergence" as a separated couple.

Spider-Man: Far From Home - By far the best live action Spider-Man film, in that it's focussed entirely on its self-contained story. It's theme of lies and belief in lies is a powerful metaphor for Deepfakes and a post-truth world.

X-Men: Days of Future Past - It's weird, as on this rewatch I noticed several missed opportunities to visually show rather than tell. The good aspects, such as the mirroring scenes of Wolverine awakening and the mirroring bed-fade when the future changes, far outweigh this criticism.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I’m curious, and perhaps someone here knows the answer, Reservoir Dogs was very close to True Romance; was it his preferred script or was it something else that caused him to make Reservoir Dogs over True Romance? Presumably he had both scripts. Honestly I’m not sure which is the better script, but for me, True Romance is a far superior movie.

True Romance has an audio commentary by Tarantino.  The answers you seek may be revealed there.  ;)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

True Romance has an audio commentary by Tarantino.  The answers you seek may be revealed there.  ;)

45f6b1412c4248059f088cd9ef04fc78

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:

You don't mean "close" as in similar stories?
Do you mean, just released close in time to each other?  
I do know that Tarantino said he sold TR to get the money to make RD, but not sure why he chose which.  Maybe he thought TR would cost more to make?  Or less interest in buying the RD script?

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
I've been rewatching Quentin Tarantino's filmography, in preparation for his latest odyssey, "Once Upon A Time... in Hollywood" this Friday.

Phase One

"Reservoir Dogs" (1992)
I liked this much less this time around. It's a kick ass debut flick but it rips off Hong Kong too much for me to appreciate it as much as I did when I first saw it. 4/5

Phase Two

"Kill Bill, Vol. 1" (2003)
The first full-blown Tarantino epic. I can never decide which is better, the Asian half...

"Kill Bill, Vol. 2" (2004)
... or the Western half. I wish he'd release an official Whole Bloody Affair. 4/5

It's interesting you say Reservoir Dogs ripped off Hong Kong too much for you.  You didn't feel that way about Kill Bill Vol 1?
For me, the scenes, characters, and dialogue were ripped so directly from several films I was very familiar with, I just couldn't enjoy it at all.  At least with Reservoir Dogs, he didn't actually SHOW the scene he ripped off the most (the robbery and getaway from City on Fire).  Kill Bill went far beyond homage for me, into straight ripoff territory.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

You don't mean "close" as in similar stories?
Do you mean, just released close in time to each other?  
I do know that Tarantino said he sold TR to get the money to make RD, but not sure why he chose which.  Maybe he thought TR would cost more to make?  Or less interest in buying the RD script?

Yeah, I meant time. IIRC they were released within a year of each other. Selling one to get to make the other makes sense, but I don’t see either script as necessarily requiring a more substantial budget. Of course, they were made with quite different budgets, but I don’t think a huge budget was required for True Romance. It’s interesting to think how those movies might have been if RD got the big budget Tony Scott treatment and QT made True Romance as his first film.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kill Bill openly ripped off everything. Reservoir Dogs acted like an original copy.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i'm a fan of QT, but an odd one i guess. Hateful Eight and Pulp Fiction are my favorites, and the rest i consider to be on the same level: they're all incredibly entertaining huge messes. Reservoir Dogs is slightly less all over the place, but just as entertaining. i've never seen Deathproof and the only time i watched Jackie Brown i fell asleep in the middle of it because i was sleep deprived at the time. i personally prefer Kill Bill vol. 2, but the beginning of vol. 1 is the best part of the duology. actually, i don't know. they're both great, and probably just below my top 2.

edit: this is sort of in line with the thread i hope, because i too have been rewatching his movies recently. too bad i have to wait until mid-august to actually see Once Upon A Time In Hollywood :/

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ANNA AND THE APOCALYPSE (2018) currently on Netflix

It's a John Hughes movie!  It's a Christmas movie!  It's a Final Girl movie!  It's a Zombie movie!  And YES, it is a MUSICAL!!!!
A quirky and funny horror-lite flick that has some rousingly excellent musical numbers.  An enjoyable 90 minutes.  Recommended.
:D

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
ANNA AND THE APOCALYPSE (2018) currently on Netflix

It's a John Hughes movie!  It's a Christmas movie!  It's a Final Girl movie!  It's a Zombie movie!  And YES, it is a MUSICAL!!!!
A quirky and funny horror-lite flick that has some rousingly excellent musical numbers.  An enjoyable 90 minutes.  Recommended.
:D

If you like that, you should check out the Buffy the Vampire Slayer musical episode, "Once More With Feeling".  This clearly draws some inspiration from it.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" (2019)
A colossal disappointment. So very little happens, with very little flair. I'll have to see it a few more times to better appreciate it but it did not make a good first impression.
3/5

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sully (2016)
Finally getting around to watching this movie. There is no flaw in this movie. Acting is superb. The narrative choices and pace are perfect. What was a fantastic movie was made perfect during the credits. Honest and true. 10/10

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE MAN WHO KILLED HITLER AND THEN THE BIGFOOT (2019)

Not at all what I expected.  Based on the trailer and movie title, I thought this movie would be more outrageous or weirder or maybe exploitive....?  Nope.   Except for the brief Hitler and Bigfoot portions, this could have been a Hallmark Channel movie.  It is a movie of a man haunted by regrets, lost love and past deeds.  The movie tone is uneven but Sam Elliot makes it watchable.  An interesting concept that I ultimately found unsatisfying and disappointing.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m in Germany and watched a couple of movies on my flight. Unfortunately there were scant few choices of movies I actually wanted to see, so I ended up watching two I was only modestly curious about: Alita and Us. The latter was marginally better than the former, though truthfully I didn’t enjoy either.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Post (2017)
I just couldn't get into this movie. It just felt all over the place and not very coherent. This movie is a deceptive outing that presents a short uncomprehensive biopic of Kay Graham in the disguise of a pivotal moment in US history. The issue is that neither gets enough focus to let the viewer enjoy or become invested in the presentation. I love Tom Hanks, but this isn't one of his best performances. I've never been a Meryl Streep fan, and this movie just solidifies that for me even more. The best thing to do after watching this is to quickly watch the compelling story telling found in All the President's Men (1976). The Post gets a labored 5/10

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Miniscule: Valley of the Lost Ants (2013)
Found this one on Amazon Prime (click the title and you can watch on prime) This is probably the most fun I've had watching a movie with the munchkins. I found myself laughing right along. I love how they blend realistic, yet cartoony versions of insects and animals into real photography. The humor is similar to what you'd find in Shaun the Sheep and the production is top notch. There were a couple of times that the animation was a little too obvious (the can in the water scene), but other than that this was just a joy to watch. To my pleasant surprise there is a second film and an entire series of shorts by Miniscule. Can't recommend enough to those of all ages who just want some beautiful looking good fun. 10/10

Top Bottom