• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
giphy.gif

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Got my wife to watch Spider Verse. She liked it a lot, though when some characters showed up half way through she was hesitant to watch the rest, but she did, and said it was good.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've lost count of how many times I've rewatched Spider-Verse at this point. Love that movie to death.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched House 2, which was absolutely nothing like I expected. The series went from horror with some unintentional comedy, to full on comedy fantasy adventure. It was really funny and cool and the caterpillar dog was adorable. I prefer the first movie, but I still enjoyed this.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Clue (1985) - Funny and good, 8/10, will have to take notes upon rewatch and determine which ending really for real is the real real ending.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
Clue (1985) - Funny and good, 8/10, will have to take notes upon rewatch and determine which ending really for real is the real real ending.

The answer you're looking for is "yes".

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The African Queen
Eh. It was okay. Everybody involved has done far better and the ending sucked.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wouldn't go so far as to put it there because I didn't "not like it", it just wasn't as good as I was expecting.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
April 9th (2015)
A Danish film depicting the opening and closing hours of the Danish resistance against the German invasion. While this isn't a blockbuster in the same vein as SPR, it is honest and straightforward in its presentation of the conflict. The actors do a fantastic job and the closing scenes memorialize those who were involved. The 1hr33min time of this film lends to the tragedy being told and the realization of second lieutenant Sand. Worth a watch simply to remember the cost. 8/10

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
mnkykungfu said:
What was the difference between him and other players?  Between good jazz and bad jazz?  I left with no better understanding of what it was to be a jazz musician/lover than when I came in.

Eh, this isn't something a movie can teach you. If you can't hear or feel the difference between good jazz and bad jazz, or hear how good players are, then it will probably be lost on you no matter what the movie does.

Maybe you mean this to be specific to jazz, but what I meant is that I feel it's part of a movie's job to bring me into the world of the character.  Make me know what it is to be great at something, show me HOW someone is better at something than another person.  As far as music films go, I can recommend a few others I've seen that I think did this well:
Amadeus (1984)
Crossroads (1986)
Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
Idlewild (2006)

and does Footloose (1984) count?  ;)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
April 9th (2015)
A Danish film depicting the opening and closing hours of the Danish resistance against the German invasion. While this isn't a blockbuster in the same vein as SPR, it is honest and straightforward in its presentation of the conflict. The actors do a fantastic job and the closing scenes memorialize those who were involved. The 1hr33min time of this film lends to the tragedy being told and the realization of second lieutenant Sand. Worth a watch simply to remember the cost. 8/10

Interesting!  Where did you watch this?  (Streaming, DVD, etc.?)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched Mary Poppins Returns. I hardly remember the original, but the people I was with mentioned that it was mostly rehashing scenes from the original but worse. I liked it, but again, I'm judging it standalone.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched Punch Drunk Love, and I really enjoyed it. It's my second Paul Thomas Anderson movie after Magnolia, and I should probably watch more. I love Adam Sandler, he's great when he tries to be.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Battery Number One (2015)
This Russian film is based on teh autobiographical story of Alexander Nikolaev. The production value is pretty great on this one, but the film is very odd. Apparently the film was sold to a Japanese or Korean film company. I can't find any imdb info on it though. The film is very thematic and presents itself like a Medal of Honor video game and the characters remind me of a final fantasy game. I honestly didn't know what was happening in this movie or who certain characters were, and not just because the movie is in Russian. High production value, but a bit off. Steaming on Amazon Prime, but if you want a payoff for your invested time, look somewhere else. 6/10

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I just watched Mary Poppins Returns. I hardly remember the original, but the people I was with mentioned that it was mostly rehashing scenes from the original but worse. I liked it, but again, I'm judging it standalone.

I didn't like Mary Poppins Returns. I thought it was slow, boring, subdued, generic, cliche'd, and annoying. The only things I liked were the amazing songs and the acting, especially Emily Blunt, Ben Wishaw, and Lin-Manuel Miranda. Other than those, very disappointing.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been rewatching Quentin Tarantino's filmography, in preparation for his latest odyssey, "Once Upon A Time... in Hollywood" this Friday.

Phase One

"Reservoir Dogs" (1992)
I liked this much less this time around. It's a kick ass debut flick but it rips off Hong Kong too much for me to appreciate it as much as I did when I first saw it. 4/5

"Pulp Fiction" (1994)
Still a cinematic masterpiece. 5/5

"Jacke Brown" (1997)
Another flick I appreciated a little less this time around. I wish I had been able to finish that fanedit I started a while ago. This movie is 20 minutes too long and it should have been broken up into chapters. 4/5

Phase Two

"Kill Bill, Vol. 1" (2003)
The first full-blown Tarantino epic. I can never decide which is better, the Asian half...

"Kill Bill, Vol. 2" (2004)
... or the Western half. I wish he'd release an official Whole Bloody Affair. 4/5

"Death Proof" (2007)
Worst movie ever. I keep trying to convince myself it's ok but then I rewatch it and I hate it all over again. 2/5

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Right Stuff (1983)
This was made by The Ladd Company soon after 'Blade Runner' and it's inexplicable financial failure doomed the company very unfairly given how brilliant this film is. It really takes it's time, confidant that the story of the Mercury Astronauts is dramatic enough to grip an audience for 3 hours and 12 minutes. 'The Right Stuff' really captures the poetry and romance of the aviation pioneer spirit, not least through the soaring beauty of Bill Conti's score.

Peterloo (2018)
Director Mike Leigh's film about the events leading up to the 1819 "Peterloo" Massacre is released through the Amazon Prime platform. I was engrossed in the portrayal of the politics of the era, the impassioned speeches, the furious debating, the forthright opinions and the authentic feeling period dialogue of the "Reet, sithee fathur" variety. The depiction of the all the despotic landowners and lords could have been more nuanced though.

Khrustalyov, My Car! (1998)
After seeing Russian Director Aleksei German's insane "Sci-Fi" film 'Hard to be a God', I was curious to see his earlier film set during the final days of Stalin (similar events as Armando Iannucci's 'The Death of Stalin'). It's got the same gorgeous, glowing, high-contrast black & white photography, contrasting with the filth, depravity and vulgarity of what transpires. The plot is almost incomprehensible but the experience is striking for the viewer as characters bump into you, shout at you and try to sell you things to distract you from concentrating on the story :D .

Top Bottom