• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Casablanca

For some reason just now seeing it. It was great! I see why it's such s classic.

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched "I Am Mother" yesterday without any expectations or knowledge about the plot and was pleasantly surprised. A superb SciFi chamber piece following the likes of "Moon" and "Ex Machina".  Great actors, terrific work by the VFX guys at Weta Workshop and most importantly a clever script that leaves you thinking.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hotel Mumbai
While it felt a little exploitative of the 2008 terrorist attack with its almost action movie style approach at times this was an absolutely gripping film from the get go to the very end. One of the years best so far.

Shazam!
Bit meh for me, may have liked it a bit more if it was half hour shorter, weak villain, comedy elements were just ok. Very middling and forgettable...

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
II watched Vampire in Brooklyn earlier, and I unironically enjoyed it a lot. It's not a comedy, and it's not horror, which are what it was billed to be, so I can understand disappointment in expecting those things. It's a fun thriller with comedic elements here and there. The joke made me laugh, and the concepts in the story were interesting. The ending leaves it open to a sequel, which I desperately want, this time a full on comedy.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
X-Men (2000) - 5/10

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) - 6/10

Toy Story 4 (2019) - 7/10

A Face in the Crowd (1957) - 9/10

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
X-Men (2000) - 5/10

d80z9lz-91507930-426d-4f8f-9f2b-fc6a2f1e172f.jpg

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
X-Men (2000) - 5/10

Do you have any quick one or two sentence reviews to go along with those?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hale County This Morning This Evening. Stunning and poetic documentary. But also a bit confounding. As much as it is intimate and visceral, it’s also detached and dreamlike. I may need a few days to process it.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This weekend I watched Fighting With My Family. It was an okay watch but really predictable/formulaic and had fewer laughs than I expected with Stephen Merchant and Nick Frost involved. 6/10

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
suspiciouscoffee said:
X-Men (2000) - 5/10

Do you have any quick one or two sentence reviews to go along with those?

X-Men: Great cast wasted by a movie embarrassed by the source material. Also directed by a monster.

Spider-Man FFH: Peter’s romantic exploits across Europe are great, as are the parts where they show off Mysterio’s illusions. I don’t like that MCU Spidey just keeps getting Stark money thrown at him.

Toy Story 4: Feels like an epilogue to 3’s conclusion, but it’s a pretty good one. I wasn’t sure how I felt about the decision to use a wider aspect ratio than the previous 3, but the digitally simulated anamorphic look was real eye candy.

A Face in the Crowd: Floored me. Andy Griffith’s performance is a revelation, it’s a shame he didn’t get many more chances to show off this kind of acting skill as he just got his TV show soon after this.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yestaday I watched Spidah-Man Fah From Home. Why am I typing in a Boston accent? Because it started with a typo then I decided to roll with it. And now I've stopped it. Anyways, it wasn't great. Second half had some great moments, but the whole thing was filled with unfunny jokes and jokes at bad moments, and everything felt like it moved too fast. It wasn't great. I still kinda enjoyed it though. Would love a fanedit.

I also watched Batman: Gotham by Gaslight yesterday, which I also did not enjoy much. Bad character designs, and a twist that had no foreshadowing. All of the characters seemed out of character, which at that point, why even make it a Batman movie? I enjoyed parts of it though, and I hope for more Elseworlds stories in the future.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Hale County This Morning This Evening. Stunning and poetic documentary. But also a bit confounding. As much as it is intimate and visceral, it’s also detached and dreamlike. I may need a few days to process it.
I’m quoting myself because I’m curious if anyone else has watched this or if anyone has plans to. It’s free to Amazon Prime subscribers and only a bit over an hour. I’d love to discuss.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Minority Report (2002)
I remember really liking this one when I watched it years ago. This go around I was majorly distracted by the overly contrasted and unsaturated image. This coupled with all of the crazy lighting vfx Spielberg did really clashes in the eye of a viewer in 2019. I was thinking this movie would do well with a color correction to correct these things. The first act is very 2000's-ish feeling and a bit of a bore, but the final act is great. I still liked the movie, but I wish Spielberg would have gone with a different look. 7/10

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
IIRC, Minority Report originally went through a bleach bypass process for the film prints that gave it a particular "black and white with color" look, but the Blu-Ray went back to the negative and didn't replicate the bleach bypass process.

Sporv did a color match of the Blu-Ray to the original DVD (which was transferred from a print that had gone through the bleach bypass) and IMO it looks better than the vanilla BR, though it's still a very specific type of look that you may still not be a fan of based on your comment.

Here's a couple of comparison pics of Sporv's color match compared to the BD and original DVD:

004860.png

061370.png

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the info. The BD looks much better to my eyes. I'm not really one for stylized coloring.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Patriot - Extended Edition: I have watched this for several 4th of Julys but it's been awhile.  Despite a couple glaring historical... uncommon occurrences... it's terribly enjoyable to watch.  Had a really hard time placing which were all the "extended" bits.

Spider-Man - Far From Home: lots of heart, lots of fun.  They crank the high school hijink humor up to 11, which turned me off.  The abrupt romances with no setup were a turnoff.  2 great ending reveals though.  Continues the trend of Marvel scoring big box office despite over-the-top humor.

Dark City - Director's Cut: possibly my first time watching this?  Though the theatrical cut is an oft-watched favorite of mine.  First watch for the GF, who thankfully loved it.  We constantly say "Sleep...now."  Iconic performances.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Forgot a couple I've watched in the past few days.

The Age of Shadows (2016)
This Korean film has some great cinematography and acting, but I ended up turning it off due to its overly graphic presentation. The story was a bit too straightforward.

The Sum of All Fears (2002)
I'm just not an Affleck fan. The movie is decent, but it's definitely no Clear and Present Danger. As for the Jack Ryan movies, I'd place it near the bottom. 6/10

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
This movie has some good acting and is amazing for its time at displaying an account of WWII. My only real complaints are that it feels terribly disjointed, is poorly paced and concludes without a payoff for the time invested (though that may be intentional as Operation Market Garden did the same). 6.5/10

The Last Samurai (2003)
This movie is beautiful, haunting, saddening, and hopeful all at once. The acting, the music, the locations, the atmosphere, all are fantastic. I'm not one for extreme violence, but this movie, for all of its graphicness, never feels grotesque or glorifying the violence it portrays. The themes of peace, discipline and fullness of life in each breath are inspiring each revisit. 9/10

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hostile Witness (1968)
Ray Milland directs and stars in this who done it murder mystery. There isn't much substance to this one, and it's painfully small in scope. I'm not really a fan of Ray Milland and this movie didn't really win me over either. Still, it does a good job at making you second guess yourself. The ending is a bit lacking, but not the worst movie you'll ever see. The formulaic story and presentation makes it feel like a movie that would have been made in the 40's or 50's rather than the late 60's. 6.25/10

The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
I felt like this movie was a bit of a mess. It's all over the place narrative wise and leaves you wondering what is going on for most of the movie due to its presentation and lack of exposition. I knew what the story was before going in, but it still felt odd. Sinatra's character wasn't my favorite, nor was his acting. All of the actors' performances just felt forced and/or tired. 5.5/10

Top Bottom