• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vertigo (1958)

I know this is blasphemy, but I'm gonna say it anyway: Vertigo isn't a masterpiece. It could've been a masterpiece — it had the makings of one — but the flashblack broke the movie. Whether Madeleine was being possessed by the spirit of Carlotta or not; whether Judy and Madeleine were one and the same or not; whether Scottie's deduction at the end was accurate or the delusions of a man gone off the deep end — all should've been left unanswered and ambiguous. I didn't buy the romance between Scottie and Madeleine, either, and the ending was so abrupt it was almost comical.

6/10

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just out of curiosity, what's your Freddy Got Fingered rating?

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
*Ahem*
If you all could kindly take the continuing RP1 discussion to the appropriate places.

Ready Player One (2018)

Ready Player One Ideas (Spoilers)

Thanks!

Very fair, DigModiFicaTion!

TBH, tho Addiesin, I don't think we need a debate.  I could keep replying with bits of dialogue from the film, but let's just let it lie as "It clicked with me, but not with you." 

In other news, I watched "Nebraska" for Father's Day.
Nominated for tons of awards, can't say I think it was one of the best films of the year.  Black comedy/drama about a 30-something Midwestern dude trying to deal with his senile dad.  Finds out family dirt, and basically exposes almost all Midwesterners for @$$holes.  Eeengh.  Bleak film that's frustrating at times.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mr Pool said:
District 9 
Awesome alien movie go watch it, its on Netflix
10/10

I'll watch Sharlto Copley in anything!  You should check him out in Elysium and Hardcore Henry!

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finally watched Captain Marvel! I really enjoyed it!

There were a few scenes though that directly paralleled the Green Lantern movie, that may just be coincidences, but I won't believe that.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Captain Marvel too. As many of you know, the MCU and superheroes just aren’t my thing. That said I expected this to be way worse based on the criticism it received. It was as good (or bad) as any MCU movie IMO. I thought Larson, Jackson, and Mendelsohn were all very good in their roles for what they were and Larson and Jackson, in particular, had good chemistry. These movies only work for me when the characters are charismatic as with RDJr. and Pratt. The Larson Jackson duo doesn’t rise to that level but was better than most.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The kind of “criticism” it got in online circles was misogynistic hyperbole. Other than those freaks, it was received about as well as every other MCU movie.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked it more than most marvel movies for some reason.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Collipso said:
jrWHAG42 said:
I liked it more than most marvel movies for some reason.

yes, it’s on my top 3 MCU. at least top 5.

I feel like you'll end up hating it if I keep reading ;)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched Roller Town, because I love the old videos Powerthirst and Super Bingo, and found that the guys who made them made a movie. The movie was amazing and hilarious, I loved it, go watch it, it's on Tubi TV, which is a free streaming service (albeit with ads, but not many), and it's worth your time.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alice (1988)
Jan Švankmajer's astonishing Stop-Motion/Live-Action hybrid adaptation of Lewis Carroll walks an eccentric line between enchanting and disturbing. Although faithful to the structure of the story, it plays as a dream Alice is having, asleep in an old house, the derelict surroundings and strewn objects reflected, refracted and repeated back to her in increasingly unusual ways. This goes straight on to my personal list of best films ever.

(btw I watched with the English language dub)

Shadows (1959)
Director John Cassavetes' debut is a rough improvisational 16mm Beat-Generation film about three African-American siblings. A street-level glimpse into the underground art/music scene of late 50s New York was welcome but the improv acting, lo-fi sound and random editing wasn't for me. At 82-minutes, at least it wasn't long.

Tootsie (1982)
A few of the jokes have dated but mostly this is still a pin-sharp Feminist-Satire and a charming Romantic-Comedy. The premise about a quarrelsome male actor learning a lesson about treating female actors with more respect (through experiencing what it's like to be one) has extra (unintended) dimensions given some of the recent complaints about Dustin Hoffman's past behavior. Bill Murray has some of the best deadpan lines.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwarves of Dragon Mountain (The Dwarves of Demrel) (2018)
Eerie and atmospheric. I don't know why this movie got pounded on the reviews. It definitely isn't an action flick and I'll be honest, if you are expecting a payoff you aren't going to enjoy this one. The real intrigue for me came in the mystery of the world and the tech. This is steampunk meets middle earth.The opening dragon is pretty terrible and has no connection to the story beyond giving it a name an a location, but the characters, wardrobes and creatures are decent. If you want something that is mysterious and you are ok with just going with it you may find this movie intriguing, though definitely not a repeat watch.. 6.5/10

Viewer beware, there's a pretty gritty scene where a limb is voluntarily lost and it shows quite a bit of it. I personally can't handle that so I skipped it. This scene alone earned it the TV-MA. Everything else is TV-14 at most.

The trailer is super misleading. This is more a survival psychological movie with a sprinkle, or perhaps even a spec of action.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Toy Story 4

Well, coming out of the theater, the first question on anybody's mind might be: Does Toy Story 4 justify continuing off from the perfect ending that was Toy Story 3? And, well, no. It does not.  I found myself incredibly disappointed, and I didn't have very high expectations

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Alice (1988)
Jan Švankmajer's astonishing Stop-Motion/Live-Action hybrid adaptation of Lewis Carroll walks an eccentric line between enchanting and disturbing. Although faithful to the structure of the story, it plays as a dream Alice is having, asleep in an old house, the derelict surroundings and strewn objects reflected, refracted and repeated back to her in increasingly unusual ways. This goes straight on to my personal list of best films ever.

(btw I watched with the English language dub)

Holy god, this looks like the stuff of nightmares!  I found the whole thing on Youtube if you don't mind Spanish subs.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
spoiler alert-
Child's Play- 2019- Chucky to me was creepy, did not like how they "modernized" him
or how suddenly Andy is an older child.

Toy Story 4- yet another great pixar film.

Men In Black- International- great for most part- felt like some of the cast kind of "phoned in" their performances.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Toy Story 4

Well, coming out of the theater, the first question on anybody's mind might be: Does Toy Story 4 justify continuing off from the perfect ending that was Toy Story 3? And, well, no. It does not.

Colour me unsurprised.

Top Bottom