• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
When Harry Met Sally... (1989)
It took me a long time to get round to this classic romantic-comedy but it's every bit as good as they say and I plan on re-watching it lots from now on. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal have terrific chemistry and I loved his deader-than-deadpan delivery. Nora Ephron's dialogue is full of nonstop, quotable, memorable and laugh out loud banter.

I watch When Harry Met Sally every year or two.  So good that it feels cheap to call it a romantic comedy.  Really elevates the genre.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
TM2YC said:
When Harry Met Sally... (1989)
It took me a long time to get round to this classic romantic-comedy but it's every bit as good as they say and I plan on re-watching it lots from now on. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal have terrific chemistry and I loved his deader-than-deadpan delivery. Nora Ephron's dialogue is full of nonstop, quotable, memorable and laugh out loud banter.

I watch When Harry Met Sally every year or two.  So good that it feels cheap to call it a romantic comedy.  Really elevates the genre.

Huge fan of When Harry Met Sally, I watched it twice in one day just a few months back

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:

There is nothing better than a great romantic-comedy IMO (Groundhog Day, Four Weddings and a Funeral, The Big Sick, Bridesmaids, Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday, Roxanne, The Princess Bride, Life is Beautiful, Ninotchka, Chasing Amy, The Wedding Singer, High Fidelity, Enchanted, Shakespeare in Love etc). It's just that there are so many bad ones made that it's easy to miss the good stuff.  I reckon their are way more bad Horror movies released every week into theaters, than bad rom-coms but the Horror label doesn't have the same negative connotations for some reason? Plus it's easy to make somebody jump, making an audience care, feel and laugh takes skill and even then you can't please everybody. Jump scares always work on everyone.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Screwball comedies may share a lot in common with Rom-coms, but they are a genre of their own.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pacific Rim 2 (as a huge fan of Pacific Rim 1)

Not as bad as I expected it to be. 

Not entirely devoid of imagination and worldbuilding. And some of the Kaiju/Jaeger stuff was believably slow. But as the movie moves on, the Kaiju and Jaegers get faster and faster, so its physics are inconsistent with the original film and even just within this film. The human frenemies relationships seemed to flip flop a lot from "we hate each other" to "actually we get along well", as a result I don't know how anyone feels about each other. 

It's certainly not a hidden gem, but it's also not Transformers 2 level stupid.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spider-man Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
I was extremely excited to see this movie. After 10 minutes I found the peripheral chroma blurring super distracting. I got used to it after about an hour. The story eventually kicked in and some emotional depth was developed which helped me connect with the characters (I fell asleep the previous night trying to watch this). I really liked Miles and the little twists to the spider-verse were interesting. While the animation looked awesome in the trailers, it became a bit fatiguing. Probably won't be buying this one. 7.5/10

Ready Player One (2018)
I wasn't expecting much from this one as I new it was going to be 90% cgi, and it didn't disappoint my expectations. Still, it wasn't terrible, just not anything I'd revisit. I'd place it with the other teen focused movies such as the Hunger Games, Maze Runner and Valerian. For the story line I think Tron or the Matrix is better. This looked like Avatar in terms of its cgi, which I've never been a fan of. It was fun to see the Easter eggs and pop culture references, but beyond that it was predictable and without any real suspense. 6/10

The Guardian (2006)
I liked this one. It's nothing to write home about and pretty slow and uninteresting until the latter part of the movie, but it hits you in the feelers at the conclusion. 7/10

The Space Between Us (2017)
A mellow dramatic teenage love drama, which is too bad because this had a pretty good cast in the main characters. Asa Butterfield is one of my favorite up and comings and I'm hoping he doesn't become another casualty of being a child star. Gary Oldman's character was weak and overly pathetic for he was and sadly reflected his name and Carla Gugino was just there. The rampant theft and unrealistic travel without any money was pretty distracting, not to mention the lack of any accountability for such. Cringeworthy throughout and no real value for a repeat viewing. 5.5/10

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Giver (2014)
That was a breath of fresh air. Yes I know the book is old, but the presentation and simple truths of this movie were greatly appreciated by this hippie at heart. I loved how they used color as a story telling element. The journey was unbelievable for obvious reasons, but the story was done very well albeit rushed at the end. I'll probably watch this again in the future. 7.5/10

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wonder Woman (2017)

I'm not a Wonder Woman fan; I find her as unrelatable and uninteresting a character as some others find Superman. Even if I did like Wondie, Gal Gadot's not tall or muscular enough for the role; the slo-mo battle scenes were obnoxious bullshit; and the villains sucked.

On the other hand, at least Ms. Gadot isn't Megan Fox; at least the battle scenes weren't too numerous; at least the picture had some heart (mawkish though the blood pumping through it may have been).

6/10

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's a show, not a movie, so I apologize in advance. 
I just finished season 1 of Happy!. It was messed up, twisted, and amazing. I love it. When is someone going to edit it into a movie form?

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah,  if only there was an entire subforum dedicated to Tv Shows.  Darn the luck.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mahler (1974)
One of the many Biopics of famous Classical composers by Director Ken Russell, with Robert Powell in the title role. 'Mahler' is full tilt Russell, mixing scattershot biographical episodes (structured in flashback), with outlandish musical fantasy sequences. I'm not sure it entirely works but you have to applaud Russell for rejecting the tired cliches of this Genre.

Two Documentaries by Rüdiger Suchsland about German Cinema of the 20s-40s on a new-ish Eureka blu-ray...

From Caligari to Hitler: German Cinema in the Age of the Masses 1918-1933 (2014)
Director Rüdiger Suchsland narrates a 2-hour essay on the highly influential and (mostly) Silent Cinema of the Weimar Republic era. It's done in a similar style to Mark Cousins' film Docs, inter-cutting myriad film clips (mostly from beautiful HD sources) to make his points. He draws attention to the period's prescient fascination with authority, control, submission and political upheaval.

Hitler's Hollywood: German Cinema in the Age of Propaganda 1933-1945 (2017)
A companion piece by Director Rüdiger Suchsland to his 'From Caligari to Hitler' essay, taking off right where that one finished. This time highlighting obsessions with death, self-sacrifice and grand artifice. Of the 1000+ films produced under the Nazis, some predictably chill the blood but some look like they may be harmless forgotten masterpieces.

(The blu-ray had the option of watching with an English-language narration by Udo Kier, which I much preferred to the subtitles of the first film.)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The official BFI 14th best British film...

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960)
Another "Kitchen Sink"/"British New Wave" classic from Woodfall Films and Director Karel Reisz. Albert Finney plays a disgruntled young machinist who escapes the monotony of his job by spending the weekends getting drunk, causing trouble and chasing girls. The character's pent-up anger at everything around him pulsates out of the screen through Finney's eyes (No wonder he got the BAFTA that year).

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Coraline - It's been a long time since I've seen such an imaginative world on screen.  I definitely waited far too long to watch this.  Everything about this film is unsettling, yet it's so comforting at the same time.  I wish I could better articulate why.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
The Giver (2014)
That was a breath of fresh air. Yes I know the book is old, but the presentation and simple truths of this movie were greatly appreciated by this hippie at heart. I loved how they used color as a story telling element. The journey was unbelievable for obvious reasons, but the story was done very well albeit rushed at the end. I'll probably watch this again in the future. 7.5/10

I like this movie too, I though it was okay. 6/10 for me. I though the first two acts were really good, but the third act was terrible. Overall I prefer the book. This film really begs for a book cut.

The added romance I didn’t think was needed but I didn’t mind it either, it fit the story. But the third act with the added robots and artificial tension along with the rushed and forced Hollywood happy ending I thought was really stupid and really broke the movie for me. The book ending was much simpler and open ended, and to me more effective.

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I just finished watching Netflix's I Am Mother

Pretty good

kind of felt like a 30 minute short film stretched into 2 hours.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Harold and Maude (1971)
If I'd known the soundtrack to this black Comedy was wall-to-wall Yusuf Islam/Cat Stevens songs I'd have watched it sooner. Harold is an introverted young man obsessed by death, Maude is an extrovert old lady obsessed by life... naturally romance blossoms. All the car stealing and fake suicides were really funny.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Harold and Maude (1971)
If I'd known the soundtrack to this black Comedy was wall-to-wall Yusuf Islam/Cat Stevens songs I'd have watched it sooner. Harold is an introverted young man obsessed by death, Maude is an extrovert old lady obsessed by life... naturally romance blossoms. All the car stealing and fake suicides were really funny.

I love this movie. I perform If You Want To Sing Out and Where Do the Children Play as part of my solo acoustic set.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
mnkykungfu said:

There is nothing better than a great romantic-comedy IMO (Groundhog Day, Four Weddings and a Funeral, The Big Sick, Bridesmaids, Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday, Roxanne, The Princess Bride, Life is Beautiful, Ninotchka, Chasing Amy, The Wedding Singer, High Fidelity, Enchanted, Shakespeare in Love etc). It's just that there are so many bad ones made that it's easy to miss the good stuff.  I reckon their are way more bad Horror movies released every week into theaters, than bad rom-coms but the Horror label doesn't have the same negative connotations for some reason? Plus it's easy to make somebody jump, making an audience care, feel and laugh takes skill and even then you can't please everybody. Jump scares always work on everyone.

Well hey, different strokes for different folks.  I only love about half of those movies, and I'd say they are about a lot more than romance or comedy.  High Fidelity is a character study for example, and a tour through indie music.  Princess Bride is more about the relationship between the grandfather and grandson than the romance.  But everyone can enjoy them for different reasons.  RomComs just aren't my cup of tea.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Ready Player One (2018)
I wasn't expecting much from this one as I new it was going to be 90% cgi, and it didn't disappoint my expectations. Still, it wasn't terrible, just not anything I'd revisit. I'd place it with the other teen focused movies such as the Hunger Games, Maze Runner and Valerian. For the story line I think Tron or the Matrix is better. This looked like Avatar in terms of its cgi, which I've never been a fan of. It was fun to see the Easter eggs and pop culture references, but beyond that it was predictable and without any real suspense. 6/10

Yeah, if you just can't get over CG, a purposely video game world is not going to be a movie you'll love.  Personally I really liked the plays on video game culture though.  Just like a game, there's no mystery about what will happen in the end (the player will win) but I thought there were quite a few surprises and nice touches along the way, personally.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The book of Ready Player One is much better. I really enjoyed the movie, but it's not nearly as good as the book. The movie doesn't have The Lich challenging Parzival to Joust, which is all I really wanted to see in a film version.

Top Bottom