• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Restrepo (2010)
An unbelievable assembly of footage from the war in Afghanistan, conversations interrupted by hearing bullets whistle over our heads. The Documentary follows troops fighting tooth and nail to hold a piece of hillside for a year, at the cost of 50 lives, to no obvious benefit. It brings back the pointlessness and confusion of those conflicts.

The Happy Prince (2018)
This Oscar Wilde biopic makes the perfect companion piece to the 1997 Stephen Fry film, as it more or less takes off just where that one finished. Rupert Everett stars, writes and Directs (his debut) succeeding at all three. He really captures the once great man deep down in a Parisian gutter, still straining to see the fading starlight through a fog of absinthe, decay and melancholy.

Good rec: The Happy Prince looks interesting!  (Restrepo was already on my list.)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Dark Crystal (1982)
After watching the trailer for Age of Resistance I popped this gem in to revisit the magic of the world of Thra. Amazing practical effects, puppets and sets. Just a fantastic piece of art that stands the test of time. 9/10

For those of you who haven't seen it, it's playing free on Amazon Prime.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aladdin (2019)
Surprisingly good. Very fun and faithful adaptation. Sure it's not as good as the original, but when measuring its own qualities, it is very successful. I'm actually looking forward to potential sequels, maybe taking inspiration from the straight to video "The Return of Jafar" and "Aladdin and the King of Thieves"? Without the pressure of measuring up to the original and the creative freedom that brings, more stories with this immensely talented cast could work wonders!

MovieFreakedMind

Reaction score
Trophy Points
THX 1138 - I enjoyed it quite a bit, I guess. The story is very amateurish and not particularly compelling, but the cinematic setting was great and I liked the commentary. The performances were great too. My biggest complaint is definitely the CGI additions. Some of them weren't too noticeable, but some of the CGI, especially towards the end, is among of the worst computer-generated imagery that I have ever seen in a feature film. The creatures Robert Duvall wrestles with near the end of the film look even more cartoonish than characters from Toy Story. I would go so far as to say that certain CGI "enhancements" in this film are uglier and more out of place than anything in the Star Wars Trilogy special editions, with the possible exception of the 1997 Jabba the Hutt scene. This is all very disappointing to me because I thought the Lucas special edition of American Graffiti was really restrained and tastefully done. 2004 additions aside, I'd say the film's biggest problem is the pacing. It feels very long. For only being 88 minutes, it felt like at least two hours, but I still wasn't too bored at any point.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
The Dark Crystal (1982)
After watching the trailer for Age of Resistance I popped this gem in to revisit the magic of the world of Thra. Amazing practical effects, puppets and sets. Just a fantastic piece of art that stands the test of time. 9/10

For those of you who haven't seen it, it's playing free on Amazon Prime.

It's also on Netflix.

Thra
Th-rrr-ah
Ah-rrr-th
Earth
Mind blown.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Snowpiercer (2013)
Tellingly, John Hurt plays a character called "Gilliam" in this bonkers Korean dystopian, action, Sci-Fi, satire, horror, comedy about a rebellion within a train-based post-apocalyptic society. Writer/Director Bong Joon-ho clearly gives zero f**ks about sane logic, which is to the film's benefit, meaning he can keep ramping up the extremes of the premise. If you're like me, you'll spend 50% of the time slack jawed in horror and 50% laughing your head off with the film (Tilda Swinton is a scream in both senses of the word).

Midnight Express (1978)
A fictionalised portrayal of the arrest, imprisonment and escape of small-time US drug smuggler Billy Hayes from a Turkish prison, written by Oliver Stone (never one to worry too much about facts) and Director Alan Parker. Hayes gets a pretty lenient sentence for his crime and the prison doesn't look all that bad so I was wondering what all the drama was about, until the halfway point where things suddenly and inexplicably begin to get exponentially worse for him. John Hurt is the best thing about the film, in the now cliched "eccentric prisoner with a vulnerable pet as his best friend" role.

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970)
I love Director Billy Wilder, I love reading/watching Sherlock Holmes and I love actor Robert Stephens (who perfectly plays the great Detective) so I don't know why I'm only seeing this today. Wilder has fun playing with, and reflecting upon, the sexuality of Holmes, something I've not seen exploited in other films. The central mystery begins to run low on steam in the second half but the fast-paced banter between all the characters, the sense of adventure and many laughs sustain the film 'til the end. One of the all-time Holmes movies.

Sherlock co-creator Mark Gatiss discusses the film:

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes undoubtedly had a heavy influence in Sherlock's characterization of Holmes.

Bambi -- I've been revisiting the Disney animated features recently, and I sort of dreaded watching this one again.  I remember not liking it much as a child, and I can see why.  It is the epitome of Disney cuteness, where not much happens but life in nature, much like a National Geographic documentary but with that Disney touch.  So, there is not much in the way of plot or story, but the animation is miles ahead of Snow White and Pinocchio.  It's amazing to see just how far they progressed technically in such a short amount of time.  Unfortunately, that's pretty much all this has going for it, for me at least.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gideon's Trumpet (1980)
Caught this one on IMDb Freedrive. A good, albeit dry, biopic of the story of Clarence Earl Gideon and how the United States legal system came to the decision that the accused is entitled to legal counsel. 7/10
You can watch it here on IMDb's Freedrive.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Aladdin (2019)
Surprisingly good. Very fun and faithful adaptation. Sure it's not as good as the original, but when measuring its own qualities, it is very successful. I'm actually looking forward to potential sequels, maybe taking inspiration from the straight to video "The Return of Jafar" and "Aladdin and the King of Thieves"? Without the pressure of measuring up to the original and the creative freedom that brings, more stories with this immensely talented cast could work wonders!

All the issues during production made me cautious of this (besides the inherent questionableness of re-making a stone-cold classic) but as soon as I saw the Will Smith genie, I was horrified.  Can't do it, man.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Snowpiercer (2013)
Tellingly, John Hurt plays a character called "Gilliam" in this bonkers Korean dystopian, action, Sci-Fi, satire, horror, comedy about a rebellion within a train-based post-apocalyptic society. Writer/Director Bong Joon-ho clearly gives zero f**ks about sane logic, which is to the film's benefit, meaning he can keep ramping up the extremes of the premise. If you're like me, you'll spend 50% of the time slack jawed in horror and 50% laughing your head off with the film (Tilda Swinton is a scream in both senses of the word).

I love Snowpiercer!  It is a crazy movie, but a wonderful world to enter into.  Viewers just need to know that if they buy the ticket, they better take the ride.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
All the issues during production made me cautious of this (besides the inherent questionableness of re-making a stone-cold classic) but as soon as I saw the Will Smith genie, I was horrified.  Can't do it, man.

That was also a surprise, Will Smith Genie was one of the most fun aspects of the movie. He's no Robin Williams of course, but he does the Genie in his own style and makes it his own.

In other words, he's much better than Homer Genie.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched Mystery Men, and it was pretty great.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Mask of Zorro (1998)
This was the first real action blockbuster of my youth. It still trounces the majority of all action flicks today. Practical effects, awesome stunts, fantastic acting, phenomenal score, witty and humorous without ever taking you out of the moment. I wish they made action movies like this still. 8.5/10

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
T2 Trainspotting (2017)
It didn't need a sequel but the narrative of this continuation of these character's lives 20-years on feels appropriate and logical. A lot of the focus is on Rent Boy and Sick Boy but their arcs were a bit played out, I was more interested in Spud, Begbie and new character Veronika. I found the ugly modern digitally mis-graded look to be jarring, feeling like unreality, next to the grounded 35mm of the original movie.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
T2 Trainspotting (2017)
It didn't need a sequel but the narrative of this continuation of these character's lives 20-years on feels appropriate and logical. A lot of the focus is on Rent Boy and Sick Boy but their arcs were a bit played out, I was more interested in Spud, Begbie and new character Veronika. I found the ugly modern digitally mis-graded look to be jarring, feeling like unreality, next to the grounded 35mm of the original movie.

Oh, really?  I actually loved this film.  I mean, I went in with extremely low expectations, thinking it would be a miracle if it wasn't a complete letdown.  So, while an imperfect film, I thought it was a really worthy sequel.

I wonder how people would like it if they had never seen/read the original story/film?

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
mnkykungfu said:

That was also a surprise, Will Smith Genie was one of the most fun aspects of the movie. He's no Robin Williams of course, but he does the Genie in his own style and makes it his own.

In other words, he's much better than Homer Genie.

Well, more power to you.  I try not to yuck someone's yum.  But to me, the genie LOOKS terrible.  And I've never found Will Smith particularly funny... just the 4/5 jokes I saw in trailers double-confirmed that.  I think for me this just falls firmly in the "there is zero reason to make a worse version of this movie" category.  The original holds up, so why bother except for money?
That said, if a new generation saw this and then got interested in tracking down the better version....  ;)  It would be like finding the fan-edit.  lol

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
Oh, really?  I actually loved this film.  I mean, I went in with extremely low expectations, thinking it would be a miracle if it wasn't a complete letdown.  So, while an imperfect film, I thought it was a really worthy sequel.

I wonder how people would like it if they had never seen/read the original story/film?

Oh it's a worthy sequel alright, nobody is going to feel let down. Way better than I expected but I cant see it living long in my memory like the 1st one has.

Northern Soul (2014)
Elaine Constantine's film follows two Lancashire lads in 1974 as they get into the "Northern Soul" club scene. It puts you right back in that time and place for 99 exhilarating minutes, the sweat, the dancefloor moves, the clothes, the drugs and of course the bangin' Soul tunes spun by the DJs. Some of the nuts and bolts of the plot don't quite line up satisfactorily but that messiness kinda worked with the amphetamine fueled lives of the characters.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thelma & Louise (1991)
I've seen about two thirds of Ridley Scott's films but this one has been a glaring omission for a while. Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon are so damn good as the titular best friends on a danger filled road trip of self discovery. Callie Khouri's script is a massive crowd pleasing middle finger to male chauvinism.

When Harry Met Sally... (1989)
It took me a long time to get round to this classic romantic-comedy but it's every bit as good as they say and I plan on re-watching it lots from now on. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal have terrific chemistry and I loved his deader-than-deadpan delivery. Nora Ephron's dialogue is full of nonstop, quotable, memorable and laugh out loud banter.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974)
Michael Cimino's debut film pairs the steely seriousness of Clint Eastwood, with the wide-eyed hippy vibe of Jeff Bridges, playing a lovable present day "Butch and Sundance". Cimino's reputation is for 3-4 hour meditative epics, so I wasn't expecting this fun packed, tightly paced, road-trip-meets-heist-movie action-comedy. Cimino's trademark perfect compositions of panoramic landscapes is already in full effect. One of my new favourite movies!

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Thelma & Louise (1991)
I've seen about two thirds of Ridley Scott's films but this one has been a glaring omission for a while. Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon are so damn good as the titular best friends on a danger filled road trip of self discovery. Callie Khouri's script is a massive crowd pleasing middle finger to male chauvinism.

When Harry Met Sally... (1989)
It took me a long time to get round to this classic romantic-comedy but it's every bit as good as they say and I plan on re-watching it lots from now on. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal have terrific chemistry and I loved his deader-than-deadpan delivery. Nora Ephron's deialogue is full of nonstop, quotable, memorable and laugh out loud banter.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974)
Michael Cimino's debut film pairs the steely seriousness of Clint Eastwood, with the wide-eyed hippy vibe of Jeff Bridges, playing a lovable present day "Butch and Sundance". Cimino's reputation is for 3-4 hour meditative epics, so I wasn't expecting this fun packed, tightly paced, road-trip-meets-heist-movie action-comedy. Cimino's trademark perfect compositions of panoramic landscapes is already in full effect. One of my new favourite movies!

Three terrific movies there, hell of a hat trick for first time viewing. I guess you were already aware of Thelma and Louise's ending though which takes the cherry off a little. My favourite movie ending ever personally . 

The Taking of Deborah Logan
Above average found footage horror a little amateurish in places but good enough for Bryan Singer to get involved as a producer.

Top Bottom