• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DOG DAYS (2018) currently on Netflix

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bPTj2TFXo8[/video]

This could have been called DOGS, ACTUALLY.  A surprisingly heartfelt, sweet and earnest well written story with a strong comedic ensemble that never descends into Hallmark saccharine.  And it does something many big budget superstar comedies fail to do, it makes you laugh.  Laugh lots and laugh hard!  It's not Oscar material, but it was a very entertaining, feel good escape.  
:D

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)

Played the theme from this in marching band my junior year of high school, and even got to shoot an arrow across the field at the end of the show.  Finally saw the movie itself, and it's a'ight.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ One of the all time hero themes.

Cronos (1993)
Guillermo del Toro's first feature is his unique Gothic spin on the Zombie and Vampire genres, replete with blood-drenched Catholic imagery. I loved the charming central relationship between an elderly antiques dealer (Federico Luppi) and his granddaughter. He discovers a kind of creepy clockwork golden device which bestows the "curse" of eternal life. Was it my imagination, or was the narrator at the start supposed to sound like Orson Welles?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love Guillermo Del Toro, I've been meaning to watch more of his stuff, I had no idea that Cronos had zombies and vampires, I need

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I love Guillermo Del Toro, I've been meaning to watch more of his stuff, I had no idea that Cronos had zombies and vampires, I need

Oh no they got him!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:

It has Zombie and Vampire type elements to the concept, not the actual creatures but well worth checking out for Horror fans.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vampire's Kiss (1988)

A little slow moving and dull in the parts where Nic Cage isn't present/insane. But when he is insane ... rapture.

6/10

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)

Played the theme from this in marching band my junior year of high school, and even got to shoot an arrow across the field at the end of the show.  Finally saw the movie itself, and it's a'ight.

Love Prince of Thieves!  I don't care if the accents are mushy and it's cheesy sometimes, there are so many classic parts in that film.  And even though they keep trying, we still haven't gotten a better version than this.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Operation Finale: Israeli spies go undercover in 1960s Argentina to bring Herr Eichmann to justice.  Is it me or has Ben Kingsley been playing the same age for 40 years?

Bad Moms: huh.  I thought this was supposed to be like Old School, the ladies version.  Turns out it's about how it's really stressful to be a mom, and society should just shut up and stop judging horrible parents.  I should've taken the title more literally.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I was considering watching that Finale film.

Near Dark (1987)
Kathryn Bigelow's grungey modern take on the Vampire and Western Genres, reunites three members of the 'Aliens' cast (Lance Henriksen, Jenette Goldstein and Bill Paxton), playing a gang of "outlaw" blood-suckers who are so gleefully unpleasant and casually violent that you kinda love 'em. The blood-squib heavy action is great but the main guy (who is our window into the Vampire life) was the least interesting character. Also, nice Tangerine Dream score.

Heroes Shed No Tears (1986)
John Woo directs a Hong Kong action/war movie that makes Hollywood efforts made in the same year like 'Commando' and 'Rambo II' look pretty tame in comparison. Eddy Ko leads a group of misfit Chinese Commandos on a mission to capture a drug lord and get him out of enemy territory alive. The plot injects elements of 'Lone Wolf & Cub' and 'The Warriors' into the Vietnam movie Genre. The amount of blood, pyrotechnics and bullets flying everywhere is jaw-dropping to see. Loved it.

This UK trailer makes it look soooo awesome:

^ They don't make trailers like that anymore.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^
I'd never heard of Near Dark, but your description makes me want to.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"TM2YC" Operation Finale was serviceable, imho.  It has some great performers in it (Isaac can do amazing work) but it's somewhat hamstrung by the script.  A lot of little jumps in logic for things to be convenient, then his character has to explain them.  I'd recommend the far superior "Munich", which covers similar ground.  

For Memorial Day weekend, I also watched Allied and The Big Red One.

Best not to know too much about Allied before watching, but I really enjoyed it.  Essentially, Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard play Canadian and French spies working with MI-6 in Morrocco to take down the Germans in WWII.  The question is not if they can do their jobs, but if they can get out alive afterwards, and then what kind of life can spies expect as a war is ending?

I got ahold of the Reconstructed Edition of The Big Red One.  I'd never seen the original, but maybe I'd like it better?  I don't know though, because from what I've read it plays like a series of vignettes.  I found this version to be a mess.  No narrative, shallow characters, awkward humor, and a lot of cheesy old-fashioned contrivances.  Maybe a fan-edit could find 1 1/2 hours of good movie in there?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2019)

Well I fell asleep some time after they met up with that octopus shapeshifter thing singing some song. I felt a little bit like Wylde Style, "wait we're in a musical now?". I really enjoyed the ending message and the last scene was by far my favorite in the movie. I'd like to think that the all day hike I was on and starting the movie later in the evening attributed to me dozing off. I just couldn't follow a story line in this one. It seemed more random easter eggs for grownups than any real story. Still, I genuinely and fully laughed during the parts I remember. I think I'll probably fanedit this move to try and make it more story driven. Of the parts that I remember I'd give this a 7/10

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:

How can you want to hear of Near Dark when you just now heard of Near Dark:p

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
jrWHAG42 said:

How can you want to hear of Near Dark when you just now heard of Near Dark:p

Thank you for catching that, that was totally unintentional. It was posted at 6:31 am over here, so chances are, I typed that without being truly fully awake.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched Generation Um... starring Keanu Reeves as part of my Keanu Reeves John marathon. It was a strange movie, and I don't know what to think of it.

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I just finished watching The Social Network, Really good, Little iffy on Act 2.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched the 1993 Much Ado About Nothing for my Keanu Reeves John marathon. It wasn't great, but I'm the only one who thinks so. 
With all the over acting and childish characters, it feels too much like a stage play, and at that point you'd be better off watching a stage production. If this film were to be adapted to film, it would need a retelling rather than a direct adaptation, otherwise there's no point. I'm thinking about checking out Joss Whedon's version.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Restrepo (2010)
An unbelievable assembly of footage from the war in Afghanistan, conversations interrupted by hearing bullets whistle over our heads. The Documentary follows troops fighting tooth and nail to hold a piece of hillside for a year, at the cost of 50 lives, to no obvious benefit. It brings back the pointlessness and confusion of those conflicts.

The Happy Prince (2018)
This Oscar Wilde biopic makes the perfect companion piece to the 1997 Stephen Fry film, as it more or less takes off just where that one finished. Rupert Everett stars, writes and Directs (his debut) succeeding at all three. He really captures the once great man deep down in a Parisian gutter, still straining to see the fading starlight through a fog of absinthe, decay and melancholy.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Junglist Paja said:
Well I just finished watching The Social Network, Really good, Little iffy on Act 2.

LOVED The Social Network.  Amazing score.

Top Bottom