• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Clash of The Titans (1981) - If I ever get round to doing an edit of this, that owl is as good as gone.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Clash of The Titans (1981) - If I ever get round to doing an edit of this, that owl is as good as gone.

That'd be like putting a band-aid on a broken neck.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
That'd be like putting a band-aid on a broken neck.

I liked the film. It's cheesy, so-bad-it's-good fun. 

I just want the owl gone.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That film is gold. You guys are crazy. Granted, I haven't seen it in a while.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched Abra Catastrophe, the first TV movie for the cartoon The Fairly Odd Parents.
It came out out 16 years ago, I wasn't very old then. According to my father, he enjoyed the show very much at the time, and watched the movie when it first aired, after I was already in bed, and asked my mother if it was wrong. I just find that story amusing.
Anyways, I watched it again, it's been like, 10 years at least since I last watched it, but I remembered almost everything. Some of the jokes, I noticed, were very bad and annoying, though others were legitimately funny. All in all, it wasn't as good as I remembered, but still enjoyable. I've been meaning to watch it again for weeks after watching a couple YouTube videos talking about the show. 

Anyways, I'm the ruler of man and ape. Goodnight.

Edit: It's also worth noting, in the beginning, they poke fun at Jar Jar Binks, and an obvious parody of him is killed.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mary Poppins Returns (2018) - 6/10

I can't tell if I actually liked anything outside of the animated bit in the middle or if I'm just telling myself that because my whole family thinks I'm a snob and I'm tired of being passive-aggressively shamed for being some kind of elitist jerk about movie taste.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
'Batman Ninja' [2018]

I watched this twice over the last two nights - first with the English dubbing, then with the original Japanese and subtitles. I've watched only a handful of anime films previously, which may have put me at a disadvantage, as I thought it was the craziest thing I've seen in quite a while. Visually arresting, but bonkers nonetheless. I preferred the Japanese version, as it seemed to fit better with the visuals, though the voicework was good overall in the dubbed version. Not a film I'm going to come back to for a while, but so extraordinary that I can't help but recommend at least one viewing.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
'Batman Ninja' [2018]

so extraordinary that I can't help but recommend at least one viewing.

I'm not really a fan of ordinary films - so if this is extra ordinary.... Well, that just sounds way too ordinary for my liking. ;)

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
'Batman Ninja' [2018]

I watched this twice over the last two nights - first with the English dubbing, then with the original Japanese and subtitles. I've watched only a handful of anime films previously, which may have put me at a disadvantage, as I thought it was the craziest thing I've seen in quite a while. Visually arresting, but bonkers nonetheless. I preferred the Japanese version, as it seemed to fit better with the visuals, though the voicework was good overall in the dubbed version. Not a film I'm going to come back to for a while, but so extraordinary that I can't help but recommend at least one viewing.

Tried watching that last year. I was inspired to commit seppuku with a chainsaw before too long.

MovieFreakedMind

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched the extended version of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. It was very good, but very long.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's okay.  You should hear the things @dahmage has been whispering in my ear lately.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
That's okay.  You should hear the things @dahmage has been whispering in my ear lately.

"Whispering" is a pretty oblique euphemism, I must say.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MovieFreakedMind said:
I just watched the extended version of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. It was very good, but very long.

@"MovieFreakedMind" you should post more often.

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last night I watched a piss take of Monty Python. The film Year One.

It was alright, quite stupid

MovieFreakedMind

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alien - I cannot for the life of me figure out why this is considered by so many to be a masterpiece. I like it. It's very good, but I don't understand why people think that it's so excellent, especially since Aliens is, in my opinion, about a million times more exciting. Everything up to and including the chestbursting scene is excellent, as is the stuff with Ash the android, but I do not and have never found any of the slasher movie elements to be interesting. It's just "Let's split up," someone gets offed, regroup, then rinse and repeat until nobody's left. I don't want to sound like I dislike the movie, because I do think it's admirable and good, but I struggle to fathom why it's so beloved because I honestly find large segments of it to actually be pretty boring. 

Aliens - I love this one. I don't think I have any complaints, except for maybe that the Burke villain doesn't have a satisfying end.

TVs Mountbatten-Windsor said:
MovieFreakedMind said:

@"MovieFreakedMind" you should post more often.

I'll give it my best shot.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^^ You've probably seen a fair few "pick em off one by one" horrors by this point, so maybe you're too familiar with the formula? Remember this came out in 1979, and paved the way for other films of that ilk.

Bearing in mind the period, look at the production design, look at the alien design, listen to the score, observe the quality of performances and the way the plot builds and unfolds. It's all masterfully done, and in a way very unlike many other flicks in that genre.

All the characters feel like characters, and I feel like it's only towards the end that Ripley is more clearly portrayed as the main character and the one survivor. The entire thing with Ash is really well done and for my first few watches still took me by suprise. Ian Holmes' performance is cleverly deceptive. 

Is it perfect? No, and aspects of it have aged, for sure. But it's a damn fine film, and well worthy of its reputation IMO. 

Aliens is a different beast, by a different director. Still a horror (sort of), but more an action flick. Bigger budget, bigger setpieces; its strength is spectacle. I'm not belittling it, but it's a different kind of film and should be treated as such.

Which cut did you watch btw? The "directors cut" makes quite a few trims to the pacing, among other things.

Top Bottom