• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Solomon Kane (2009/2012 in the US)

Very solid.  Slightly cheesy and just a tad campy,  but only just enough to give the very dark narrative a sense of fun. Quite brutal and violent,  but well made. Not perfect by any means,  but effective and really I liked it very much. Shame it didn't get its planned sequels delving more into the actual source material.  Very tightly edited and steadily paced also,  nice to see a modern movie that isn't bloated. Nothing needs trimmed,  no word or moment is wasted.  Moves at lightning speed but not detrimentally so. 

Solid 7.5/10 for me. Available on Netflix streaming in US.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile

The movie shys away from the actual murders concentrating more on Bundy himself. It just about gets away with playing to Zac Efron's charisma without glamorizing Bundy and while Efron is good it never felt like he was pushed or truly inhabiting the role. A lightweight biopic that feels like it would have been better suited to a limited series than a movie. Worth a watch though...

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed has sold me. I wanna watch Solomon Kane now.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile

The movie shys away from the actual murders concentrating more on Bundy himself. It just about gets away with playing to Zac Efron's charisma without glamorizing Bundy and while Efron is good it never felt like he was pushed or truly inhabiting the role. A lightweight biopic that feels like it would have been better suited to a limited series than a movie. Worth a watch though...

Agreed.  An interesting cast, good performances and some solid production values, but this movie failed to click for me.  Perhaps, I am the wrong target audience, as I am very familiar with the Bundy horrors, and this movie seems to be aimed at the uninitiated.  As the movie tries to play with the audiences expectations by trying to keep Bundy's guilt or innocence a guessing game until the "shock twist" ending... for me, this is the movie's greatest failure.  Interestingly, the movie was directed by the same guy who made the Ted Bundy Confessions doc for Netflix, so it makes some his creative choices even more questionable to me.  In the end, I was entertained but felt the movie did not do the subject matter justice.  I still prefer the dated, and somewhat melodramatic, 1986 tv mini series The Deliberate Stranger starring Mark Harmon to this stylistic retelling. 

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XViQr-X0xzs[/video]

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched Aquaman again. Not as enjoyable as the first viewing in the theater. 

I'm currently rewatching A Clockwork Orange, because apparently my uncle hasn't seen it, and I figured he should.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just re watched House of 1000 Corpses. I still love this movie.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I just re watched House of 1000 Corpses. I still love this movie.

I assume you have seen 'The Devils Rejects' too, I always feel like I need a shower after that, nearest we will ever get to a Tarantino horror.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, I've seen both, and I'm extremely excited for 3 From Hell. 
I honestly prefer House of 1000 Corpses over Devil's Rejects, though I love them both. From what I recall, Devil's Rejects feels more professional and coherent, whereas the first one has some unusual music video esque editing and an overall more grungey feel that makes it more unsettling. I've come to enjoy films that are unsettling and uncomfortable. It's just very stylistic, and I love it all so much.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The General (1926)

It's a fair film, and I don't regret watching it, but I tend to agree with audiences of 1926; one of the greatest American films ever made, it ain't.

6/10

Glass (2019)

It's weighed down a bit by Shyamalan's particular screenwriting idiosyncracies, and Dunn deserved more dignified treatment towards the end, but overall, I found it a satisfying conclusion to the Unbreakable trilogy. The world could do with more low-key superhero movies like this one.

7/10

The Terminal (2004)

A bit schmaltzy at times, and Stanley Tucci's and Catherine Zeta-Jones' characters felt rather needless (the narrative didn't warrant an antagonist or love interest), but I liked the movie anyway.

7/10

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

First two times I watched this film, I found a handful of scenes mildy amusing but was otherwise left scratching my head at all the praise it's received. Third time must've be the charm, though, 'cause now I finally "get it". The movie's still a bit long-winded, but I'm finally able to appreciate it now.

7/10

The Hunger Games (2018)

Perhaps it's just my crush on Jennifer Lawrence speaking, but in spite of the cloying millennial vibe, I really, really, really like the movie. Wes Bentley's beard, Lenny Kravitz's eyeliner, and that blue-haired ponce can all go straight to Hell, though.

8/10

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)

In spite of featuring more ugly old people, this sequel feels even more millennial than its predecessor. Funny. I don't like it as much, either.

7/10

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

Only watched it to see if Daisy Ridley was capable of playing a likable character. Frankly, this film failed to convince me either way, 'cause every character who wasn't Arliss Loveless Hercule Poirot was walking, talking set dressing for this overblown, self-aggrandizing picture.

6/10

100% BEEF (2013)

Only watched it to see if Daisy Ridley was capable of playing a likable character. Was not disappointed.

5/10

Twilight of the Ice Nymphs (1997)

Pascale Bussières and the voice of Ross McMillan are terrible leads; the picture tends to run a tad boring whenever their characters are on-screen. But it is wonderfully bizarre and visually entrancing, as all Guy Maddin films tend to be to some extent or another. Plus Shelley Duvall drives a large nail through Frank Gorshin's skull. How could I dislike any movie featuring such a scene?

7/10

The Heart of the World (2000)

I haven't a gotdang clue what the plot is, and I don't care. Give me more of that German Expressionist/Soviet-style filmmaking, Maddin; my body is ready.

9/10

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

First two times I watched this film, I found a handful of scenes mildy amusing but was otherwise left scratching my head at all the praise it's received. Third time must've be the charm, though, 'cause now I finally "get it". The movie's still a bit long-winded, but I'm finally able to appreciate it now.

7/10

You are moving in the right direction but you still have a long way to go until you reach your final destination, which is 10/10.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
 cloying millennial vibe
 even more millennial
Only watched it to see if Daisy Ridley was capable of playing a likable character. 
Only watched it to see if Daisy Ridley was capable of playing a likable character. 

544.png

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I get especially edgy when I think of Daisy, a donut, a hot dog, and a shower of yogurt-covered raisins.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m confused. So you don’t like Daisy Ridley? I’m genuinely curious why. I thought her performance(s) were one of the bright spots of the first two movies.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
I’m confused. So you don’t like Daisy Ridley?

I have nothing against Ms. Ridley. I just don't like Rey.

I’ve heard lots of specious reasoning for not liking the character (and I don’t want to get into all of that), but I’ve never heard anyone say they didn’t like the performance.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
She did the best job she could with the poorly written scripts given her. I'll leave it at that.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
She did the best job she could with the poorly written scripts given her. I'll leave it at that.

Okay so your “only watched it to see if Daisy Ridley was capable of playing a likable character” is just hyperbole to indicate your disdain for the ST not the actress herself? Because it doesn’t read that way.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Duragizer said:

Okay so your “only watched it to see if Daisy Ridley was capable of playing a likable character” is just hyperbole to indicate your disdain for the ST not the actress herself? Because it doesn’t read that way.

Essentially, yes.

Top Bottom