• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
suspiciouscoffee said:
I once saw a box set of Ted 1&2 with the 80s Flash Gordon movie and I was confused.  Is that Ted's favorite movie or something and it was a weird gimmick release or…?

Yes, Ted and Mark Wahlberg love the character, have a dream sequence that recreates some crappy effects sequences from the film, then literally meet Sam Jones, the actor who played Flash Gordon, at a party. It plays like a live-action version of a Family Guy "reference joke". The movie is thin on plot so it's one of the only memorable things that happens.

This. 

And yeah I agree.  The first one was enjoyable while I was watching it but now i barely remember anything about it. I think Sam Jones might have turned up in the second one too, or was at least mentioned,  but i couldn't tell you because that ones even more a blur .

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ALPHA (2018)
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIxnTi4GmCo[/video]

This was a nice surprise of a movie, though I am not sure what I was expecting, it certainly was not a movie with so much heart and positivity.  It is a Father/Son movie.  It is a Coming of Age movie.  It is a Boy and His Dog movie.  It is Man vs Nature movie. And it all works wonderfully.   The cinematography is utterly gorgeous.  The CGI ranges from excellent to serviceable.  But the story is just so engaging and the characters so likeable, you forgive some of its technical shortcomings.  A great feel good movie for the entire family.

note:  The trailer is a bit misleading, as there was no voice over in the version I watched.  The characters all speak in an ancient dialect and the movie is sub-titled.

1claire

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Geostorm

I feel like the CGI effect was overused that I don't see the film as stunning as its trailer. Good thing I did not watch it on the big-screen.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Krull again yesterday. Great movie.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Orchestra_Rehearsal_FilmPoster.jpeg

Orchestra Rehearsal.  A late Fellini movie, it's clear this rehearsal is an allegory for society as a whole... quite obvious.  Not nearly as thought provoking as his earlier works, but I enjoyed it.  3.5/5

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
X-Men: Apocolypse 
This made for a decent trailer, but a terrible movie. The costumes for the horsemen were good, but the motivations and characterizations behind them were weak and lacking. And that cgi.....ugh. I'm probably too much of an X-Men snob to be able to like these interpretations. 5/10 for a movie riddled bad cgi, b-roll humor and over the top action. The two just don't mix for me.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
X-Men: Apocolypse 
This made for a decent trailer, but a terrible movie. The costumes for the horsemen were good, but the motivations and characterizations behind them were weak and lacking. And that cgi.....ugh. I'm probably too much of an X-Men snob to be able to like these interpretations. 5/10 for a movie riddled bad cgi, b-roll humor and over the top action. The two just don't mix for me.

Agreed.  I was shocked at how weak this movie was after DOFP.  If Singer's credit wasn't onscreen, I would have thought someone else had made this movie.  The complete reversal/reset of Magneto's character from DOFP was bizarre.  And getting truly nitpicky... no attempt to explain why none of the characters have aged in 20 years... a simple throwaway line like Mutants age slower.... it makes it difficult to believe Cyclops is supposed to be Havok's brother lol

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Orchestra Rehearsal.  A late Fellini movie, it's clear this rehearsal is an allegory for society as a whole... quite obvious.  Not nearly as thought provoking as his earlier works, but I enjoyed it.  3.5/5

I think I've got that one somewhere, I must watch it one day.

Contains a spoiler for all versions of this film... ;)

A Star is Born (1937)
This first incarnation of 'A Star is Born' centers on Hollywood actors and not musicians like the other three versions but all the same story beats are here. Fredric March is charming yet painfully sad as the alcoholic falling star and he has terrific chemistry with Janet Gaynor, playing the rising star. I think I preferred the nobility of his death (a night swim in the sea that only we the audience know was a suicide), saving his wife from feelings of guilt, to the perhaps more realistic death in the 2018 script.

When I finished watching 1937's 'A Star is Born' I almost immediately started to watch the Horror film 'Creepshow' and a character in it was watching 1937's 'A Star is Born'. Aaarrgghh!

Creepshow (1982)
An fun anthology Horror film written by Stephen King, penning five blackly-comic tales (King also plays a dimwitted redneck in one episode). Director George A. Romero directs in the style of a 'Tales from the Crypt' comic, with Tom Savini providing the makeup and comicbook-like transition FX. I loved the way the shots go super stylised whenever something scary/gory happens, extreme coloured lights switch on, the camera goes dutch-angle and the backgrounds often become comic panels.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i plan to watch The Hateful 8- extended edition on Netflix this weekend- 20 minutes longer
but they broke it up into four episodes- about 52-54 minutes each episode.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
IMO, terrible movie. Plot was ridiculous. Characters were ridiculous. The acting was ridiculous. This genre is tired. Time for something new for once Hollywood. 2/10

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
IMO, terrible movie. Plot was ridiculous. Characters were ridiculous. The acting was ridiculous. This genre is tired. Time for something new for once Hollywood. 2/10

A tired genre is one thing. Making your plot a boring, incomprehensible mess that takes place in a single dark mansion, and then marketing the entire movie on the first 10 minutes and the last 30 seconds of the movie puts this stinker on a whole other level. I'll give some extremely minor kudos to the writers for trying to return to some of Crichton's ideas from the books, like dinosaurs being only the tip of the genetic modification iceberg. But every element of its execution was dreadful.

Honestly, they should have skipped this movie entirely and gone right from Jurassic World to a movie about the dinosaurs getting off the island and interacting with the world. That's your way out of the "we're stuck here with dinos! lol" genre. Give us the "World" you hint at in the title. Heck, in the first chapter of the first Jurassic Park book there are reporting of sightings of strange creatures in Costa Rica on the mainland, leading to an investigation and then the events on the island. The movies have been so stuck on the island concept that (aside from the goofy end of Lost World) they've refused to increase the scope to a point that keeps it interesting.

TL;DR Fallen Kingdom was bad and they should feel bad. Give us a real Jurassic World instead of just incompetent teasing.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Swimming with Men
Pleasant enough 'Full Monty' style time passer with a host of British TV stalwarts, as with a lot of sports movies it's essentially the Rocky formula applied to 'said' sport but it's quite amusing seeing that applied to mens synchronised swimming and gives it that stereotypical stiff awkward Britishness. I'm aware there is a French version too though with the Bond Villain from Quantum of Solace.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)
I don't like CGI and I don't particularly care for the Harry Potter universe, but this movie was absolutely fantastic. The casting and the characters were on point. Newt's character shined with his purity and goodness. I love when a movie ends and I find a big smile on my face. Just a fantastic film on its own right and probably the best Harry Potter film, imho. I hope the 2nd is as good as the first. 9/10

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Holmes and Watson
Well despite my reservations being a Steve Coogan fanatic I had to watch/suffer this. It's not quite as bad as expected (I did laugh maybe three times..) but it's certainly at the bottom end of everyone involved's filmography.  One for masochists and completists. only.

jparker800

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched Avengers Endgame last night: First 2/3 of the movie was slow but understandably so I suppose for character and plot development. The final 1/3 of the movie was worth the price of admission. Overall, I’d give it a solid 3.5 stars.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
i plan to watch The Hateful 8- extended edition on Netflix this weekend- 20 minutes longer
but they broke it up into four episodes- about 52-54 minutes each episode.

Did you watch this? I saw it on Netflix but haven't had the time. I love the original film, I was wonder how the chaptered, extended version played for you.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Avengers Endgame.

I liked it. It did not feel like 3 hours (even though some dialogue felt pompous and could have been trimmed)

I'm not an ultra Marvel fanatic. To me those movies are good entertainment but fall in what I call the "wrestling" genre of cinema. Meaning people in funny costumes punching each other to see who's the strongest. Superheros are not in my culture nor DNA at all. BUT I can't deny that the Marvel movies are a total success, not just in term of money but from an artistic point of view too.
When the first Avengers was released I was amazed that an assemble of that many characters could work as a movie... and years later I wondered how Endgame could work with like 5 times more characters on screen! At it worked just fine. One can only say bravo to the all project and the way they "finished" it with style.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ 100% agreed.

No spoilers...

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
Like the "Götterdämmerung" of Superhero movies, with a Wagnerian length and actual Valkyries riding flying horses into a cataclysmic battle of the gods. Despite this epic scale and countless cast of characters it always remembers to keep the fragile little human moments at the forefront. It opens on such a scene and closes on a romantic moment that had me and most of the audience wiping away tears. This could be the first Superhero 'Best Picture' and not just as a sop to it's titanic box-office but because this genuinely has some of the best performances and most powerful scenes I've seen so far this year.  A standing ovation to Marvel for taking us all on this 22-film, 11-year journey and never really letting us down. Hip hip hurray!

By the way... I thought it was super classy to have not included any post/mid credits scene which would have watered down the sense of finality (although of course we know it's not the end really).

The bit where the Cap came back as Joe Biden and did his tear jerking speech and danced with Peggy.

171213-the-view-john-mccain-meghan-mccain-ew-617p_652c79f388ef0a55d46efe1cee18871d.fit-760w.jpg

large.jpg

1ehbb4.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fish Tank (2009)
It's taken me too long to catch up with this acclaimed 2009 film by Director Andrea Arnold. First-time actor Katie Jarvis plays Mia, a troubled 15-year old living on a London Council Estate. Arnold really gets us inside Mia's head-space as she puts up an aggressive front to keep the world at a distance but is secretly quite sensitive and fragile inside. The tension in the relationship between her and potential surrogate father-figure Michael Fassbender is unbearable. The 4:3 Cinematography is beautiful.

Wasp (2003)
26-minute short film also by Andrea Arnold, included on the bonus features to 'Fish Tank' with a similar setting and focus. Natalie Press plays a single mum of four trying to go on a date and turns out much more tender than the initial grimness leads you to believe. It won the Live-Action Short Academy Award.

I really need to check out Andrea Arnold's other 3 films and her other 2 short films because those two were great.

Top Bottom